"Gun" holster belts, worth it?

"Gun" holster belts, worth it?

This is a discussion on "Gun" holster belts, worth it? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Currently I wear a Dickie's 1 1/2" leather belt. Are the belts designed for use as gun holster belts really worth it? They are a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: "Gun" holster belts, worth it?

Question "Gun" holster belts, worth it?

Currently I wear a Dickie's 1 1/2" leather belt. Are the belts designed for use as gun holster belts really worth it? They are a lot more expensive.

Anyone have any recommendations for a black leather gun belt?

In a word..... YES!!!!!

Get one, you won't regret it. If price is an issue look into the nylon webbing ones from 5.11 or Wilderness Tactical. I finally went to leather, made my own, and love it. I like it better than the nylon.

And to add, if you are looking for leather The Beltman is probably the best out there.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...-K_Dqr-xGGqVrA
    DIRO305 likes this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I will be the lone dissenting vote (as I said here Maybe I'm doing it wrong...). I think it's great for OWB, but for IWB I really can't tell that much of a difference.
    ironmike86 likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Absolutely worth it, yes, IMO.

A <search> in the Gear/Holsters forum where keyword=belt (in the title) turns up a good number of previous discussions on the pros/cons of a great belt.

Basics I would suggest: 1.5" or 1.75", depending on the loops of your pants/shorts; thick enough and firm enough to easily carry the load you're intending (ie, double-thick bullhide; internal stiffener); 7 holes instead of 5, for better adjustment; possible features to make it more comfortable (ie, tapered ends; rounded buckle).

Good threads:
    shooterX and DIRO305 like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lockout888 View Post
    Currently I wear a Dickie's 1 1/2" leather belt. Are the belts designed for use as gun holster belts really worth it? They are a lot more expensive.

Anyone have any recommendations for a black leather gun belt?
    Yes, yes they are.
    DIRO305 likes this.

Yes, especially if you carry a gun.

Crossbreed!
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Leather gun belts are definitly worth the money. I have several and as I get older for some reason they seem to get smaller. I think it has something to do with the weather.
    iguanadon, pfries, GH and 2 others like this.

I have found that when you carry outside the waist band, a good belt designed to carry your firearm is well worth having. I carry mostly IWB and have both a King Tuk and Crossbreed and any of my casual or dress belts work well, but after using a gun belt for OWB I would never go back to a casual belt.

Yup...Yes...Of Course...Duh...Absolutely...
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

Quote Originally Posted by mardet View Post
    Leather gun belts are definitly worth the money. I have several and as I get older for some reason they seem to get smaller. I think it has something to do with the weather.
    I have similar issue with pants... I blame defective washer and dryer.
    GH and StarPD45 like this.
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

What do you carry?
    What holster will you be using?

most of the time, a belt that was not specifically made as a 'gunbelt', will not be stiff enough to support the weight of a gun, holster and magazines worn outside the waistband of your pants. inside the waistband carry is different, and a more lightly constructed belt may serve well enough here. the Filson double thickness belt is an exception, as it's not described as a gunbelt, but it's certainly not cheap either.

if you can bend the belt by putting your fingers on one side (the top), and your thumb on the other (the bottom), and squeezing, then the belt probably isn't stiff enough.

most good leather gunbelts will be constructed from two layers of leather and may have an additional stiffener sandwiched between the layers. my personal leather belts are from Kramer and Galco.

the cheapest decent belt that i have found (and i'm sure there are many that i don't know about), is the 5-Stitch Instructor's belt from The Wilderness, or it's cheaper brother, the 5-Stitch Frequent Flyer belt. these should cost $35-$45. these are nylon belts, and must be carefully sized in order to fit properly - the belt end threads through the buckle and MUST be velcroed back to the main section of the belt, and there is a limited range to do this before you either don't have enough end to reach the looped velcro section (if the belt's too short), or you can't tighten the belt any further because you run into the stiffened section (if the belt's too long).

another thing to remember is that you will probably need a slightly longer than usual belt length to accommodate your holster and mag pouch. i usually wear a 34" belt, but my gunbelts have to be 36".

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    I would agree that OWB requires a far stiffer belt than IWB. I tried a gun belt a while back for IWB (it was stiff enough to not be able to "squeeze" as the above poster mentioned) and it was actually too stiff, very uncomfortable to me. I settled on a quality work belt by Wolverine that is 1.5" wide and about 1.5x thicker than regular belts for IWB carry.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

tQ
    It's been said 10x already in this thread, but I feel so strongly about this that I felt the need to join the dogpile:

YES!!!!

The Beltman is a good source for leather gun belts made to your specification. I personally use a Wilderness Instructor nylon belt because it's inexpensive and incredibly stiff. Having a good belt really makes a night-and-day difference in carry. You won't believe how floppy your current belt will feel once you get your hands on a real gun belt.
    Eagleks likes this.

OMG yes. I would have never thought belts were worth it until I got one. And not just for weapons carry, a good belt makes you feel better, not sure how but it does.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links