Concealing a full size .45?

This is a discussion on Concealing a full size .45? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been carrying a Bersa Thunder .380 mostly IWB but also OWB as the weather gets cooler. I just purchased a Taurus PT1911. While the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I've been carrying a Bersa Thunder .380 mostly IWB but also OWB as the weather gets cooler. I just purchased a Taurus PT1911. While the Taurus is only slightly thicker it is significantly larger.

What kind of holster do you use so it doesn't look like you have a full size .45 on your hip? I bought a Disantis OWB holster. It's a nice looking holster but it looks like I'm trying to hide a shoebox under my shirt.

Is this the price I'm going to have to pay for the extra fire power? To me concealment is critical. I could use some advice.

Thanks

You need a good holster and a good belt.
    I have carried a full size 1911 IWB with a Don Hume holster. The only thing I don't like about it, is that there isn't a sweat shield and the hammer and safety tends to dig into my side. I carry strong side in front of my hip.
    The nice thing about 1911's are that they are very thin. With a full size 1911 in a IWB you really are only trying to conceal the grip.

Most top end custom holster makers have good IWB and OWB rigs that will hold it tight to your body with good rake. That and a good gun belt will go a long ways for concealmemt. I carry a LW Commander in my favorite, a McDaniel II from Andrews Leather, no problem amd have never been "made".
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Try the McDaniel II from Sam Andrews: http://www.andrewsleather.com
    Make SURE you get a "body shield" no matter what IWB holster you choose to keep the gun from digging into your side and to keep your body sweat from getting on the gun. For that matter, my very favorite and most comfortable IWBs are from http://www.Blade-Tech.com I've been known to fall asleep in my "dad's chair" (Lazy Boy -- AND HOW!) with a Sig 45 AND an ammo pouch both Blade Tech.
    Last edited by ExSoldier; September 30th, 2006 at 10:05 AM.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

For my .45 acp (Smith Wesson 4516-2) I use a Kramer # 3 "Inside the Waistband" holster with a Don Hume B109L Gunbelt. I carry at 4:00 position. An XL size Hawaiian shirt covers everything on the belt including cellphone, double mag holder and Surefire 6P light. Nothing prints, I have my honey check me out once in a while to make sure. S&W folding SWAT knife in my pocket.
    "There is no such thing as too much ammo. Unless you're swimming!"

For the 1911s, I have found they conceal under just a t-shirt with a holster that has it's belt attachments in front and behind the gun. That adds very little extra thickness. Try looking at a Milt Sparks Watch six, Brommeland MAX CON V or a similar version in Kydex if that's your thing. The Tarus 1911 appears to be a great gun. I fondled one at a shop last week. My only complaint was the checkering under the trigger guard. I can see where it would chew up your fingers while shooting with a 2 hand grip. I think someone with no shooting experience got carried away with the checkering design.

VIP Member
    I'm a small dude....I can conceal (provided I'm wearing a tucked out shirt) my Dan Wesson PTE-EXP 10mm 1911 (in a Brommeland Max Con V), S&W 1006 or 1066 (in a Ted Blocker LFI), and HK USP full-sized .45 ACP (in a Comp Tac C-TAC), all of which are all large-framed guns, in the aforementioned array of IWB holsters with no problems.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

1911 .45 concealment on hip

Quote Originally Posted by ratman57 View Post
    What kind of holster do you use so it doesn't look like you have a full size .45 on your hip? I bought a Disantis OWB holster. It's a nice looking holster but it looks like I'm trying to hide a shoebox under my shirt.
    I like 1911s so I have thought a lot about this question. Here are my suggestions:

1. Don't carry the full size (5 inch barrel) version of the 1911. Get one with a 3 to 4 inch barrel. There is less gun to conceal.

2. Get an officer's size grip on your gun, or a bobtail on the regular length grip. The full size 1911 grip is large, and can easily print on your cover garment.

3. Replace the standard thick grip panels with slim grip panels. This will reduce grip thickness by 0.2 inch, which is significant.

4. Don't use an ambi safety, as this increases width. Use a traditional safety on one side of the gun.

5. Get a holster that puts the belt over the gun, thereby pulling the gun tightly against your body. An IWB holster, Galco JAK slide, Haugen V slide, Del Fatti BPB, or several Mitch Rosen OWB holsters do this. You want all three outlying points of the gun (muzzle tip, back of slide and end of grip) to be pressing into your side for best concealment.

6. Make sure the holster is canted in the "FBI cant", which enhances concealment.

7. Wear a full cut cover garment in dark color or bold print.

My best .45 1911 setup for good concealment is a Colt Defender (3 inch barrel, officers grip) with thin grip panels in a Galco JAK slide holster. I give up one round in the magazine and about 11% in muzzle velocity compared to a full size 1911. But it is worth it for the concealment.

Here is a Haugen V slide holster with a Commander size 1911:

And a Mitch Rosen Thinman holster with a 1911:

And a Del Fatti BPB:
    Last edited by pogo2; September 30th, 2006 at 04:59 PM.

Fat guy in FL

I carry a 1911 Colt most of the time. IWB is the way to go. It's important to have a sweat shield or body shield between you and the gun. Also important to have a matching GUN belt. Not a Wal-Mart belt, not a cloth dress belt. Right now I'm using a Fist:
    http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/default.htm
    But there are tons of good ones. Don't forget a spare magazine or two.

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Well...I think a fullsize 1911 is quite easy to conceal on most people. Ive carried 2 IWB for quite a while and what I noticed the most was the weight....lots of gun. With the proper holster/belt combination you honestly shouldnt have any trouble at all.
    Look into a better maker and holster like Gary's MaxCon etc. With a good belt, it will surprise you how well it works.
    Shoot well and god bless
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

i use a desantis iwb Cozy partner and recently bought a Blackhawk cqc with the serpa lock for owb both hide pretty good

Royal Guard by Galco IWB.

I'm 6ft tall and weigh less than 160lbs, and I carry a 5" kimber daily in a milt sparks summer special II.

The 1911 is so thin its easily concealed, despite its size.

Wink Weight is a big no-no for me....

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larsen View Post
    Well...I think a fullsize 1911 is quite easy to conceal on most people. Ive carried 2 IWB for quite a while and what I noticed the most was the weight....lots of gun. With the proper holster/belt combination you honestly shouldnt have any trouble at all.
    Look into a better maker and holster like Gary's MaxCon etc. With a good belt, it will surprise you how well it works.
    Shoot well and god bless
    I carried a Gov't 1911 for decades. IWB was very comfortable. But weight got to be a pain. The longer barrel laid right on my sciatic nerve. And for the capacity it wasn't a good match anymore.

For now my Glock M27 IWB in a Blade Tech holster is fine. Sp mag is for a M23. Altogether that gives me me 24 ready to launch. Anything bigger I carry OWB.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    "I carried a Gov't 1911 for decades. IWB was very comfortable. But weight got to be a pain. The longer barrel laid right on my sciatic nerve. And for the capacity it wasn't a good match anymore."

ExSold....You are very correct about the length and the nerve. But I think yould be surprised how a good holster design helps out with that problem...take the MaxCon by Gary. Its built to take the length out of the equation, thus the pressure off of the nerve. Other holsters do very well at this also.

I used to think about capacity, muzzle energy, caliber etc. when choosing a carry gun...and mind you they are still important. But to me..reliability and how well I shoot the gun are the most important factors beyond, simply just having one on me.

Thus..IMO, the 1911 is still a great choice given you have a good one and can shoot it like you need to be able to.

One of my main carry's is a Makarov. Its on the lower side of the power and capacity scales....but it carry's very well, I shoot it well and I know its gonna work when and if I need it to.

Shoot well and god bless
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links