1911 - OWB - Thumb Break or No Thumb Break?

This is a discussion on 1911 - OWB - Thumb Break or No Thumb Break? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have, and use, several holster types. My hand goes through the same motions for holsters with and without thumb breaks, no issues. The ones ...

View Poll Results: Which would you prefer?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • With Thumb Break

23 33.33%
  • Without Thumb Break

46 66.67%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 1911 - OWB - Thumb Break or No Thumb Break?

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    I have, and use, several holster types. My hand goes through the same motions for holsters with and without thumb breaks, no issues. The ones I fumble with are the ones with the trigger finger break, but those are the 44 mag holsters for hunting. Vertical hang so I don't really need the strap.

Where I really get messed up is between the old "down to shoot" safety and the newer "up to shoot" safety. That just might get me killed if I have to rush things.

2. Remove Ads

I have both for some of my guns and depending on where I'm going depends on whether I'm carrying with or without a thumb break. I'm using one if I'm going hunting or into the woods that's probably a given. But if I'm just tooling around town then most of the time I will not use a thumb break. Having both just gives me the option if I think I may need it or not. I'd get both and decide which is best to use when the time comes to strap it on.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    If I recall correctly, my grip safety would have to be depressed in order for the hammer to fall all the way on my Kimber Ultra Carry, correct?
    Likely that's a whole new thread. You can get a head start with this link:

http://www.m1911.org/partdesc.htm

I'ts been along time since old Armand Swenson took my 1911 to bits on his work bench, then chatted about thunderboats for hours; but as I recall the grip safety blocks the trigger only.
    Red (Richard) Nichols

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    1911 OWB Desantis Speed Scabbard for the Gov't and a custom IWB for the 4". No thumb break. I was torn between the two and am glad I went this route. I HAD to have a thumb break back in my LE days.
    Last edited by sniper58; October 6th, 2012 at 11:51 PM. Reason: add
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

The holster for my "N" frame S&W revolver has a thumb break. It's the only one of that type I wear. It's a Bianchi, 36 years old and still in good shape. I only had a gun fall out once, from a cheapie Uncle Mike. It's why I started making holsters. I didn't want that to happen again, and no one made one for my gun, a Browning BDM. I've never had one fall out of any good quality leather holster, formed to the gun.

For normal, CC wear, with a good holster, it isn't needed.

I've made a few thumb break types for LEOs, and for a guy who does a lot of fly fishing and was paranoid about losing his gun if he fell into the creek while fishing.

Been carrying Glocks for many many years. Just recently got into the "1911's" I have the Kimber Crimson UC II and the Kimber Ecplise. I have a serpa at the moment but have 3 leather OWB holsters on the way. One has a thumb break not sure how well that will work for me. Will probably use the Galco one!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

This is just a suggestion. Take it with a grain of salt, as I am a terrible holster snob. Go to Top Gun Supply .com. They offer Ritchie holsters, have them in stock. Skip Ritchie worked with Lou Alessi, and all hands agree that Lou (along with Tony Kanaley of Milt Sparks) is THE MAN. Or was, as he passed a few years back. Check out Ritchie's holsters, and I suggest the CQQR. TGS has them in stock. They are about 135 bucks, but you don't have to wait for five months, and you get a handmade, hand boned, quality holster. I'm gonna get one for my Glock 32 in a month.

Or order a 55BN from Sparks, and settle in for the wait.

No thumb breaks.

IF you OC for whatever reason I "think" I'd go with a thumb break. Since I see absolutely no reason to OC (unless you're a cop in uniform) then no thumb break. I've carried all manner of holsters from "mexican" to floppy iwb, kydex and hybrid no thumb break. When I workde in a gun store/range it was a 1911 and a Yaqui slide or Ernie Hill, no thumb break. My 2.

Thanks everyone, I ended up getting a Bianchi CarryLock.

Tapatalk - Helping people post from bathrooms since 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt45 View Post
    IF you OC for whatever reason I "think" I'd go with a thumb break. Since I see absolutely no reason to OC (unless you're a cop in uniform) then no thumb break. I've carried all manner of holsters from "mexican" to floppy iwb, kydex and hybrid no thumb break. When I workde in a gun store/range it was a 1911 and a Yaqui slide or Ernie Hill, no thumb break. My 2.
    I have a Yaqui Slide and the front sight grabs on the way out. Won't use it anymore.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Never lost a 1911 in 34 years of carry, and never had a thumb break on a holster.
    That says it all..lol.

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    Skip Ritchie worked with Lou Alessi, and all hands agree that Lou (along with Tony Kanaley of Milt Sparks) is THE MAN. Or was, as he passed a few years back.
    Now this statement above, interests me. I knew both men, but -- which, specifically, innovations did Lou or Milt contribute to the world of holsters as we know them today? Or, said another way, what unique features, or previously unseen design types, or avant-garde styling, would be missing from today's holster "catalogues" if it were not for them? An example of the first would be Bucheimer's invention of the thumbreak. Of the second, Baker's pancake. Of the third, Theodore's "New York" styles.
    Red (Richard) Nichols

And Tucker Gun Leather to the hybrid leather/kydex style, so many think Crossbreed is the first.

Tapatalk - Helping people post from bathrooms since 2009.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links