1911 - OWB - Thumb Break or No Thumb Break?

This is a discussion on 1911 - OWB - Thumb Break or No Thumb Break? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm torn on what to get, but have narrowed it down to two holsters - one has a thumb break, the other does not. For ...

View Poll Results: Which would you prefer?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • With Thumb Break

24 34.29%
  • Without Thumb Break

46 65.71%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 1911 - OWB - Thumb Break or No Thumb Break?

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar

I'm torn on what to get, but have narrowed it down to two holsters - one has a thumb break, the other does not.

For this poll:

Cocked and locked
    Outside the waistband
    Primarily concealed, but occasionally open carried

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    The way my hand falls for a palm-to-body draw just automatically puts my thumb where it would break the holster open.

Now, the Uncle Mike's holsters tend to have a horrible design on their thumb breaks. (Sometimes you got to go with what a local shop has on hand long enough to get a replacement.)

(If you have to go with a UM, replace it ASAP.)

Haha, good point and I agree... I'm waiting, and the two holsters I'm looking at are Galco's - Concealment and Fletch I think they are called.

Personally I prefer without, but that is with a holster properly fitted to the gun. One thats fit holds the gun snugly. I carry concealed though.
    My holster of choice is the Milt Sparks SSII.

Michael

OD*
    Never lost a 1911 in 34 years of carry, and never had a thumb break on a holster.
    gasmitty likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

I have to say, that speaks volumes.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    I have to say, that speaks volumes.
    Just buy the best fitting holster you can (and can afford), you'll be good to go.

For nearly ten of those 34 years, I carried mexican.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

if you're going to be a, "one gun, one holster" guy, then i don't think it makes much difference which way you go, although i would personally prefer a thumbbreak if i ever open carried.

if you will use different holsters, then i would recommend that all of your holsters be the same: either all have TB's, or none. i think mixing types here would not be a good idea.

none of my OWB belt holsters have TB's, but then i only carry concealed.

for me, the one situation in which i have to be careful is seating myself in a chair with horizontal 'rungs' in the seatback. because i carry in the 4:00 position, behind the right hip, if i'm not careful, the gunbutt can snag on one of the 'rungs', even through my cover garment, and get pulled out of the holster.

other than that, i have never come close to having my gun come out accidentally.

That's a good point... and currently my other holsters do not have one.

Good thread. Thanks. I have trained with TB and my current holster, much like the one pictured above is TB. Still looking at tactical applications for the near future.

Get a holster custom made for your gun and that has a forward cant then you won't need a thumb break. Any smart person can defeat a thumb break. With a holster as described the gun is being drawn only one way and that the way YOU are supposed to draw from it.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

I just got this one and it is a Kimber logo'd Galco. It looks and feels like a concealable and is an amazing holster. The best part is the forward molded design Galco speaks of on it's website. It isn't marketing hype, it is really a worthwhile design. Makes it VERY comfy and very concealable. Anyways, for dedicated OC I would personally choose a thumb break holster, but for CC this one I have is exceptional. Also the amount of forward cant would make it hard to grab from behind me. Hides easily under a normal golf shirt.

IMG_0007[1].jpg

I wear a thumb-break OWB under a t-shirt while running, and a non thumb-break IWB every day concealed for a 642.

Though I can appreciate the desireability of a strapless holster, as I've pointed out they require no skill from the designer.

More importantly, for those of you carrying S/A autos, an important function of a well-designed thumbreak (and it's not anything like as easy as it looks, because the thumb safety and the rear sight are right there, as well) is to block the hammer in case of a sear failure. Especially those of you with good trigger jobs; 1911 safeties don't lift the hammer from the sear, as some later derivatives do.

bianchi conceal (8).jpg

Many P.D.s absolutely require thumbreaks, which were first used and patented in the 1950s by the now-defunct Bucheimer company.
    Red (Richard) Nichols

If I recall correctly, my grip safety would have to be depressed in order for the hammer to fall all the way on my Kimber Ultra Carry, correct?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links