Guns & Magnets ? Thoughts ?

This is a discussion on Guns & Magnets ? Thoughts ? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'll need a bigger magnet before it would make a difference. I've got some old speaker magnets, maybe I'll try that. Anyone know what the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Guns & Magnets ? Thoughts ?

I'll need a bigger magnet before it would make a difference. I've got some old speaker magnets, maybe I'll try that. Anyone know what the firing pin is made of?
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

2. Remove Ads

turned his watch into a Salvador Dali painting

Yep, that's an MRI for sure!
    FLArmadillo likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    If an LEO was standing so close to an MRI as to magnetize his GLOCK beyond function, it would have picked him off the ground by his handcuffs, ripped the keys from his belt & turned his watch into a Salvador Dali painting. I'm calling that bluff.
    This is one story I was referring to; unfortunately the bolded link gives a “page not found” error so there is no longer a way to verify it. The Association of Firearm and Tool Mark Examiners is a forensics website but not being a member I cannot access it.

Q.E.D.02-09-2006, 06:13 PM
    Apparently, it actually happened (http://www.afte.org/announcements/offsafetymri.htm), on at least one occassion. In this case:
    In July 2001, an officer from the Manheim Township (Lancaster County, Pennsylvania) Police Department had an incident where his issue firearm malfunctioned. The Smith & Wesson, Model 4013, .40 S&W caliber, semi-automatic pistol was found to have a magnetized firing pin, which stuck to the side of the channel within the slide. Upon inspection, it was determined that the entire pistol had become so magnetized that paper clips actually stuck to any metal surface. The department armorer was able to demagnetize the firearm with the use of a high-power, videotape-erasing unit after complete disassembly.

When the malfunction was discovered, the officer had no idea of when or how his pistol had become magnetized. A review of the officer’s activities, revealed that he had investigated a burglar alarm call at a medical office that was equipped with a Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) unit. During the investigation, the officer had walked into the MRI suite that magnetized the pistol. MRI medical personnel have detailed instructions on safety, which include keeping metal objects away from the unit. Upon further inspection, two additional officer’s firearms were also found to have been magnetized.
    Degaussing would be simple enough, since the sort of steels used are fairly low coercivity--that is, it doesn't take a very strong field to magnetize or demagnetize them. In the above case, a videotape degausser was used, but a TV/monitor degaussing coil would also work quite well.
    Guns and magnets [Archive] - Straight Dope Message Board
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I see, so the firing pin was the only thing magnetized. I'll try to magnetize mine, and report back. Keep in mind, his was an older Smith, so the materials were certainly different.
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

I bought 2 of these a couple of months ago and have them mounted in places where bad guys, thieves, etc wouldn't think to look for any valuables (or weapons)... they work great. I actually have my Glock 23's in simple suede type holsters and the gun sticks to the magnets through the holsters (to avoid scratching). I can't imagine it will cause any problems. Other than wiping out the harddrives of course which now I'm wishing I'd thought about before mounting them...

Amazon.com: Quick Draw Gun Magnet: Sports & Outdoors
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I got demagnetized. Now I wander around aimlessly. I've thought about a couple of nail to the forehead so I'd at least point north.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Here is a youtube video showing how to mount you gun with a magnet,In Home Firearm Concealment: How to make a Magnetic Holster - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Now see how it shoots.
    Low and left oh wait...
    FLArmadillo likes this.
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

To be safe, you should use individually degaussed ammo. It's a time consuming and expensive process, but your safety is worth it.

They are hard to find and quite exclusive - even Google isn't allowed to reveal any information regarding them. However, I happen to have quite a bit of it in stock. PM me for a great deal. For every two boxes of 50, I'll throw in a Universal Coat Hanger - a little miracle product that accommodates coats/jackets of absolutely any size in virtually any location within the home.

In the future, if you have a polymer gun, you can avoid magnetizing your barrel if you confine the magnet to the plastic portion of the gun instead of the metal slide.

I think my electromagnetic railgun doesn't fire properly because its firing pin is too magnetised ...

edit: Vavoomskill, we're sorry for fooling around. It really is a good question, and it deserves a real answer.
    Vavoomskill likes this.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

I'm always afraid of upsetting the Coriolis effect with the magnetic field. For those of you not familiar with this, it is the force that causes bullets to spin counterclockwise in the Northern hemisphere and clockwise in the southern hemisphere (effects the twist in pigs tails the same way that that's a subject for another time). Also, if my weapon becomes magnetized I can no longer carry it on my strong side since there is a possibility of pulling the steel pin out of my hip and that stings. With the cuts in medicare I probably couldn't get it put back. Might even have to drive in a wooden dowel and that really hurts.
    Vavoomskill likes this.

The Coriollis effect is the real reason why it rains on one side of the street in Florida and not the other. But I did not know magnets were the main cause.
    Vavoomskill likes this.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RKflorida View Post
    I'm always afraid of upsetting the Coriolis effect with the magnetic field. For those of you not familiar with this, it is the force that causes bullets to spin counterclockwise in the Northern hemisphere and clockwise in the southern hemisphere ......
    Bullet spin is due to rifling. Oh, sorry. You were being facetious.

Only concern i would have is the kind of magnet and what kind of gun i was sticking to it.... would not want a nice blued 1911 hanging by a magnet....i am thinking finish here on my gun, i cannot see a magnet causing any other problems, unless of course on dec 22 the poles shift, then your gun might fall off.....
    Vavoomskill likes this.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryMac View Post
    ...unless of course on dec 22 the poles shift, then your gun might fall off.....
    About the only thing that's going to happen from the 21st to the 22nd is your Mayan calendar is going to fall off the wall.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links