Appendix Carry - Low Profile vs Taller Combat Grip

This is a discussion on Appendix Carry - Low Profile vs Taller Combat Grip within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been mulling this over for a while and would like to hear your thoughts. A few years back I determined appendix to be my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Appendix Carry - Low Profile vs Taller Combat Grip

Appendix Carry - Low Profile vs Taller Combat Grip

I've been mulling this over for a while and would like to hear your thoughts.

A few years back I determined appendix to be my preferred method of carry because it allows me to comfortably conceal a G19 with just an ordinary t-shirt.

I use a High Noon "Mr. Softy" which is considered to be a "low profile" appendix holster. Honestly, the reason I chose the Mr. Softy is because it was cheaper ($25) than comparable models.

I love this holster. It's super comfy, clips securely, and has held up well.

My only concern is that the butt of my Glock rests just at my pant line and could be difficult to grip from certain positions. So, I'm considering "upgrading" to something like the High Noon "Public Secret" or possibly a nice kydex AIWB holster. Something that offers more of a traditional "combat grip" and rides higher above the pant line.

I wonder how much comfort I will be sacrificing while sitting and bending by having the gun sit higher above the pant line. Anyone carry in a similar rig? Any issues sitting or bending in these "higher riding" models?

2. Remove Ads

I use a smart carry, it rides wherever I want it to, Ride it high when shirt over it, let it ride low when shirt tucked or NO shirt, to each his own i guess, just works for me, and my wife

You may want to check out Dale Fricke holsters. I have three of his Archangel holsters for aiwb carry. They are made of thin kydex with two straps that attach to the belt. I like them because they protect my pistol sights and allow for a full grip of the handgun. I carry a Sig P220 Carry and a Colt Commander aiwb and the bottom of the holster does not cause a problem with sitting.......very comfortable. They aren't cheap.....around $100, but they are very durable and easy to clean. I prefer kydex over leather since I live in Dallas and the summers get quite warm here. If the holster gets sweaty.....you just wipe it off at the end of the day. Dale Fricke Holsters
    RonCo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MLittle View Post
    You may want to check out Dale Fricke holsters. I have three of his Archangel holsters for aiwb carry. They are made of thin kydex with two straps that attach to the belt. I like them because they protect my pistol sights and allow for a full grip of the handgun. I carry a Sig P220 Carry and a Colt Commander aiwb and the bottom of the holster does not cause a problem with sitting.......very comfortable. They aren't cheap.....around $100, but they are very durable and easy to clean. I prefer kydex over leather since I live in Dallas and the summers get quite warm here. If the holster gets sweaty.....you just wipe it off at the end of the day. Dale Fricke Holsters
    I have an archangel for my glock 19 (holds my glock 17 as well, although the 17 protrudes slightly out the end. Like MLittle says, it allows a good firing grip on the gun. It appears that the public secret would as well. I'm not as thin through the mid-section yet as I need to be, but even with what is left of my gut the archangel conceals reasonably well. I don't get anymore printing out of either glock in this location than I do out of the same guns in the 4 o'clock position in a galco king tuk. At first glance it seemed like the archangel printed a little bit more, just looking down at the rig from above. However, when using the mirror to check things out, printing was possibly even a bit less than the king tuk rig at 4 o'clock. The only difference is that from my perspective, the printing from the archangel is easier to notice (until I went to the mirror).

That said, printing is minimal, and if I didn't have the gut left that I currently do have, I don't think there'd be a printing issue at all despite the moderately high ride height the holster gives. So, I think you'd be fine going to something that rides similarly. It definitely makes getting the gun into action quicker and more consistent because of the improved grip.
    RonCo likes this.

+1 on Dale Fricke products.

I carry an RDS-sighted G26 or 19 AIWB in an Archangel daily.

It's very comfortable and concealable IMO. Generally have it on for more than 10 hours at a time and that includes driving 2+ hours.

I prefer AIWB holsters with a ride height that does not interfere with the initial grip when drawing at speed. I don't want to have to pry it out a little before getting a good grip. Some think you have to have a low riding AIWB holster to make it conceal the best. That may have been true several years ago, when the number of manufacturers making Appendix holsters was small..............but not now.

I like the Dale Fricke Archangel, and have had several for different guns. Ride height is good for a clean grasp of the grip, but he is lacking a grip tucking feature on his holster that some are now making. I can wear the Archangel without much printing, but prefer other models that have a grip tucking feature built into the holster. It does make a subtle difference in concealability for me. This is especially true when wearing a duty size weapon like a G17, and a compact G19.

I currently wear a JM Custom Kydex AIWB holster with my G17 or G19, because of this grip tucking feature. The CCC Shaggy has this same feature, but it is really hard to order because of limited production. The Keeper has this feature, as well as a foam wedge Velcroed to the bottom of the holster to push the slide into the stomach more. Dark Star Gear has this tucking feature too. There are others, but these are the ones I am familiar with.

Examples of the grip tucking feature:

Archangel made for a G17, but carrying a G19 in the picture.

CCC Shaggy carrying a G19.

Like I said, it is a subtle difference but it makes a big difference for me in concealing the gun.

ETA: I highly recommend reading these post for someone who is interested in a very professional discussion on Appendix Carry and the Gear to use.

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...ppendix-Carry)

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...ictorial-guide
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

Thanks for the links TMoore. I'm on Pistol Forum as well, but hadn't crossed the pictorial guide. Heaps of good info there!

The metal clip on the Mr. Softy is actually very secure, but does cause a fair amount of wear on leather belts. Are the snapping belt loops pretty secure? The fixed "slot style" loop on the newer Shaggy's seem nice too.

I despise metal clips on holsters. The loops work very well but still have some play. Some like that. I did for years. I now like the Kydex loops because the holster and grip are always in the same place. But some like to be able to adjust the holster a little especially when sitting down.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

My deep conceal carry is an MK9 in a Mr. Softy at 1:30ish. Have been carrying it in an XD9 Mr. Softy. The next size up lets it ride lower and I can tuck grip in waistline behind belt if need be...obviously not combat grip but undeniably well concealed.

The higher riding holsters feel like the gun will flip out with shorter barrels to me.

Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    The higher riding holsters feel like the gun will flip out with shorter barrels to me.
    It can happen. That's why I carry my G26 in a longer holster made for the 19. It seems to give a bit more stability.

honestly guys, i am of the school of thought that if you are appendix carrying, you should be using a mic/zack/vanguard type holster. the trigger is covered until the gun is no longer pointed at your junk and your arteries.

just my $.02.

and my gun rides lower profile. i stick my thumb in first when i draw and it tips out a bit, enough for me to wrap my other fingers around it. this all happens in under a second. practice practice.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty View Post
    my gun rides lower profile. i stick my thumb in first when i draw and it tips out a bit, enough for me to wrap my other fingers around it. this all happens in under a second. practice practice.
    Yup, I been carrying appendix for 6 to 7 years...JFrame, NAA32, XD9SC and MK9. Thumb in and keep finger off trigger till ready to shoot.

I like a lower ride as well....

Good comments and info. I have been using an Alessi belt clip IWB and it is acceptable for the Kimber CDP Compact but it needs to be replaced with a more specifically made IWB more suited for appendix carry

Quote Originally Posted by RonCo View Post
    I wonder how much comfort I will be sacrificing while sitting and bending by having the gun sit higher above the pant line. Anyone carry in a similar rig? Any issues sitting or bending in these "higher riding" models?
    Depends on your body shape, whether you're long- or short-waisted, etc. So far as I've been able to tell in ~25yrs of dealing with the holster "dance," it's a try-it-and-see thing.

In the past, I've had a few mid- to high-ride holsters at ~2-4 o'clock position, and in only one case IIRC was it digging into my ribs. Mostly, they've been fine, particularly with the "right" degree of cant. For me, ~3-4 o'clock with ~20 forward cant has served well, and even those same holsters at ~2 o'clock have worked without too much trouble. Not exactly appendix carry, normally, but it's worked. But then, on me I have plenty of room from the belt line to where the gun's butt would begin to dig, from most any position/angle I need to grab the gun. I'm comfortable with a somewhat higher ride. But that's just me.

You'll need to test out how much reach you're required to do given your body's characteristics and the height/position of the gun. About the most I could suggest would be to play around with positioning of the gun at the highest/best spot where you'd prefer it to be carried (the highest spot it could begin to dig in), then hunt for a holster/maker that can create a holster that just avoids crossing over that point.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; October 13th, 2012 at 05:44 AM. Reason: spelling
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links