Tagua owb holster

This is a discussion on Tagua owb holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Tagua owb holster. I tried the old plastic in the holster trick. When I mount it on the belt the gun is ...

Thread: Tagua owb holster

Tagua owb holster

I have a Tagua owb holster. I tried the old plastic in the holster trick. When I mount it on the belt the gun is still very hard to draw. Is it the fact it has belt tension to hold it tight against the waist or is there another trick? I love how it holds the gun in tight against my body sure is hard to draw and one handed reholstering is not a go. Any tricks to fix this or just repeated use will loosen it up? I love the price and it seems like a good alternative to a Galco Combat Master.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Some OWB holsters that are very nicely "form fit" to the firearm but, are constructed of a softer leather will tightly grab onto the firearm and refuse to let it go. and then the tend to collapse at the holster mouth making re-holstering somewhat problematic unless you sort of twist the muzzle into the holster and "force it open" at the same time that you are inserting your firearm.

That is one of the unfortunate "side effects" of purchasing a lower priced "off the shelf" holster even though it may "look" great and may fit the firearm perfectly.

Luckily most "Every Day Carry" folks do not need to constantly take their firearm in and out of the holster all day so some difficulty in re-holstering is not a monumental problem but, it sure does make practicing your draw stroke a real P.I
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Administrator
    As an example if you look at this holster review of a MILT SPARKS OWB holster (found on YouTube) you will better understand why some OWB holsters collapse when the firearm is removed and why a SPARKS OWB does not.
    This particular SPARKS rig has a steel reinforced holster mouth but, other custom holster makers accomplish the same task through a stiffening of the leather as part of the finishing process.
    This VID shows a perfect example of why M. SPARKS holsters are right there on the top of the list of the best holsters ever produced...ever.

And Yes, it is true as stated in this VID - IF you are wearing a "spare tire" of EMERGENCY FAT RESERVES around your middle...then you'll (for sure) want to shy away from ANY High Ride OWB holster because a HIGH RIDE will just will not work out for you no matter how doggone beautifully that holster may be constructed or how well it is fit to the firearm.

Somewhere Near Lucky Ned Pepper's Hideout
    I had a Glock 31 and purchased a DeSantis Speed Scabbard for it. It fit well, but once I put it on, drawing the weapon was a no-go. The flat matte finish of the Glock slide was grabbing the holster and making it nearly impossible to draw without using 2 hands.

I bought a Blachawk CQC holster, and it worked great with the Glock.

I eventually sold the Glock to fund a CZ 75 Compact. I kept the DeSantis holster and it fits and works with the satin-finish CZ slide really well.

All this to say an off-the-shelf leather holster will work with some guns better than others. And like many things in life, you get what you pay for.

The DeSantis will work until I have the funds to upgrade to an RGrizzle or UBG.

I had a Tagua beltslide that was pretty tight as well. It finally broke in and eased up a bit. My Tagua is certainly not soft, it looks to be 2 layers of nearly 12 oz leather. It's thicker than the leather I use to make my holsters. Maybe try some thicker plastic or wax paper. And wear it a lot.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Wrap unloaded gun in plastic bag(s). Stick it in holster overnight. Problem solved.

Also check to be sure the front sight isn't catching.

My two Tagua holsters were tight at first. They are fine now.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Administrator
    I bought one off ebay out of curiosity and mostly because I am a holster fanatic. Mine also really tightened up after drawing the firearm from it as I wear my gun belts fairly tight. I gave mine away as I really didn't need it anyway...but, it was a decently constructed holster and are worth the low price as a serviceable holster.
    I think the one I on ebay was $47.00 or thereabouts. Fairly inexpensive.

Links