Cross draw appendix carry

This is a discussion on Cross draw appendix carry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been thinking about cross draw while practicing drawing concealed, both with shirt tucked in and left out. Also while driving. First, I'm left handed ...

Thread: Cross draw appendix carry

I've been thinking about cross draw while practicing drawing concealed, both with shirt tucked in and left out. Also while driving.

First, I'm left handed and it will be an xd9sc or an XDs

Reaching across, with my right hand to pull up the left side of my shirt, then reach my left arm back to a 3 or 4:00 position seems to me more of an effort than to pull up the shirt on the same side and grab cross draw. My hands/arm are already in position. The holster would be canted and pointing outward (away from the family jewels). There may be an issue with it hitting my thigh when I sit but with the sc, and the fact I'm very tall (6'2" is a midget to me) I don't think it will be a problem.

I was going to try a few different holsters. Anyone do this and/or thoughts? Holster suggestions from those that carry this way?

Pirate.

I normally appendix carry, but not crossdraw. I find that carrying crossdraw causes the butt of the gun to print badly/
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

I'm wary of crossdraw set up since it requires you to reach across your body in order to draw the weapon. Such a movement can be easily blocked during a struggle where you are hands-on with your attacker,

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I have generally seen this termed "front" crossdraw. I have used this position for a second gun, for a lefty draw, while the primary rode at 0300, which meant one arm could shield both weapons when squeezing through a crowd, as both holsters are spaced closely together. Like WoodLark, I have found front crossdraw does tend to let the gun's butt protrude a bit more than I would like, so I have used it for smaller revolvers. Of course, we are all built differently, so what does not work for one may work well for another.

I've gone to AIWB carry as well due to speed, access from either hand, retention and enhanced concealment.

Cross draw didn't work as well.

What tactics are used for a shoulder holster? A shoulder holster is a crossdraw configuration just a few inches higher than the belt crossdraw. An important consideration of crossdraw is the angle at which your hand approaches the weapon. Ideally it is straight so the weapon pulls out straight without the wrist being bent. To have a vertical weapon in crossdraw the wrist is bent approaching the weapon and the withdrawal is vertical, slow and not natural. The same awkward configuration of a hip holster that has no cant (even worse in crossdraw) and the reason for the high cant of 4 o'clock holsters which gets extreme with SOB holsters. To get this ideal angle in a IAW holster the weapon's grip is well down in your trousers. I am a crossdraw fan and I am trying to build one of kydex for my P-238 to be no more visable than my cell phone case. It will be OWB slightly curved to conform to my waist. At my age, I have no intension of production. Even if I get it exactly right for me, it will probably be exactly wrong for anyone else.

Funny story: I went to a gun shop run by an old Marine. I asked to see any cross draw holsters he might have. He said with much conviction, "We don't carry crossdraw holsters. I don't believe in them and we don't carry them." I asked if they carried horizontal shoulder holsters? He said, "Right this way. We sell a lot of them." I didn't have the heart to tell him that a shoulder holster is a crossdraw holster.
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

Something I wanted to mention for the original poster ... There are some very good under-the-shirt crossdraw holsters which are kind of like a shoulder holster. A simple modification of a few of your shirt buttons to Velcro dots make access fast and they conceal well for smaller weapons. In the summer, they would be too hot for our climate but as winter approaches, it makes sense.
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

Good points. Thanks.

I have recently gone from SS at 3:15-3:30, to a CD at 9:30-10:30, and love it. The argument of being blocked is true for either way, at least with the CD, one can block with the weak arm, and punch or cut with the strong hand-very difficult with SS carry, just one example. Another, if surprised from rear attacker, the weapon is out of BG's reach, but easily in yours. I guess one could go on forever discussing the pros and cons of each, but I am going to stick with my CD as best for ME.
    Cross Draw holsters are much easier to find, especially from the higher end makers-i.e. Mitch Rosen, Andrews, Kramer, etc., due to the "new"(?) demand. I carry my Ruger KLCR .357mag in a OWB Clament CD, (on order) a Wild Bill's Fusion or IWB PJ Holster Clip-On. With my Kahr CM9, OWB I use a Master CD, (on order) Mitch Rosen Traverse CD, and IWB use a PJ Holster J-hook, (on order) Andrews McDaniel II CD, CB Micro Clip (yes, CD). If worse comes to worse, I can still use my OWB Mitch Rosen Belt Slides in CD that I have for both weapons. Anyway, sorry for the babble, but look at some of the articles discussing CD-i.e. Michael Banes (sp), Mas Ayoob, etc.. They will give you an idea if it's right for you. Take care.
    Best Regards,
    "Doc" aka Bill
    SLAINTE VAR!!

I've tried positioning a few pistols in the appendix cross draw position however I found that the butt of the pistol printed more as my belly pushed it out further. Also found it faster and more comfortable to leave it in its regular appendix position
    Phillipians 4:13
    Go Gators/Wildcats!!
    Glock Cert. Armorer

Sponsored Links