Theis vs. Crossbreed IWB holsters

This is a discussion on Theis vs. Crossbreed IWB holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Crossbreed Holsters are known to me thanks to faliaphotography on youtube, but the Theis Holsters have been popping up in the sidebar ads. Same materials, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Theis vs. Crossbreed IWB holsters

Crossbreed Holsters are known to me thanks to faliaphotography on youtube, but the Theis Holsters have been popping up in the sidebar ads.

Same materials, same design, same price point...

(You know what's coming...)

Is there any difference here that I'm missing?

Well, my personal experience with both goes like this... First holster I ordered was a CBST in black cowhide for a G19. This has been a great holster after breaking in for a few weeks. Only issue I have with it is the lip on the metal clips gets some skin from my wrist every time I go into my pants pocket for something. Sure I could change position of the holster (8:00 position as I am a lefty) but that position is most confortable for me. I also purchased a gun belt from Cross Breed.

I ordered a Theis holster for a .40 Shield in horsehide with kydex clips. Love the kydex clips as they have no lip to scratch my wrist. The only "pjroblem" I had with this holster was the finishing on the edges. The edges of this holster were very sharp and irritated my side badly. I ended up dressing the edges with sandpaper and solved that problem.

I am happy with BOTH holsters and would/will buy them again as the need arises. I will probably stick with kydex clips from now on. Just the same, I think I will try one from N82 tactical somewhere down the line... Variety is the spice of life.
    I Shoot Birds With A Canon.

Quote Originally Posted by LaraCroft10 View Post
    ...same price point...
    what does the CBST go for these days? I think I paid $20 less for my Theis than the Supertuck I priced with the same options. ($65 vs $85 if I recall). and I don't think CB had clips without taps then either so you'd have to order them separate. I've got a friend that scratched the crap out of his truck door with the tabs on his CB. plus the turnaround time from CB is notoriously long.

I'm going to give the N82 Pro a try also but not because I'm disappointed with the Theis. i use is it all the time without issue. just want to see what all the fuss is about and if a single clip holster will work for me.

There are a number of manufacturers offering hybrid holsters. Old Faithful Holsters | Leather Kydex Hybrid Holsters and Holster Kits is another one; they even offer a kit so you can put together your own holster, with the cant and clip configuration just the way you like it.

I have a CB microclip with horsehide that I didn't like much at first, until the leather got broken in and conformed to my curves. I also didn't like the metal clips - they scratched my gun belt and the tab pokes way down below the belt (not very well concealed). So, I bought a pair of j-hooks, which conceal much better but can come loose (especially if your belt is less than 1 1/2" wide). My main complaint with the microclip is the fact that it rotates somewhat - the side without a clip (the gun side) can shift and get too low in the pants, which of course interferes with drawing. Drawing can also cause it to shift.

I tried on my husband's CB minituck (which has 2 clips) but it was really wide for my waist and printed too much, so I didn't purchase one. Maybe if I'd tried a minituck long enough to get it broken in, I'd have liked it better.

Hope you have better luck!
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by yz9890 View Post
    what does the CBST go for these days? I think I paid $20 less for my Theis than the Supertuck I priced with the same options. ($65 vs $85 if I recall).
    The Super Tuck is $69.75 and the Mini Tuck is $67.75. The two versions by Theis are the same price - $65.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsHB View Post
    My main complaint with the microclip is the fact that it rotates somewhat - the side without a clip (the gun side) can shift and get too low in the pants, which of course interferes with drawing. Drawing can also cause it to shift.
    I wondered about this. The clip on one side seemed uneven to me.

I don't think the Mini Tuck will be too wide for me. I have plenty of junk in the trunk.

I'm glad you guys are mentioning the metal clips. Something to keep in mind.

Thanks guys!

What gun are you buying the CB for?

I owned a CrossBreed MicroClip for my Kahr MK9 and it was comfortable. The problem I had was that it shifted more than I would have liked. I adjusted it more than I liked. I then bought a CrossBreed MiniTuck for my Kahr PM9 and really liked it. It was comfortable and very stable. My only gripe was that the holster seemed like a lot of material for a small and light gun. I also realized that I'm not a big fan of clips on a holster. I'm using a Remora now and haven't gone back.
    MrsHB likes this.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

The Super Tuck is $69.75 and the Mini Tuck is $67.75. The two versions by Theis are the same price - $65.
    Theis horsehide is $65. According to CB website, CBST horsehide is $84.75. if you go with cowhide then Theis is $55 vs CBST @ $69.75. (unless Theis changed their prices in the past few months)

Check out Crossbreed seconds... Discounted due to being returns or having blemishes and minor defects...
    http://www.crossbreedseconds.com/
    Got my Minituck for $48 and arrived in I think it was 4 days..definately less than a week... you can't pay online, you have to mail the $$ but it was about 4 days total for mine.

and I meant to say...The minituck is a lot of material for a little gun, but it molds to your body and holds the gun in close...I wore it with tight jeans for awhile to help it mold...now I wear it with light dress pants and it doesn't show or move around at all. I'm not a fan of the metal clips..
    I don't own and haven't tried others that are similiar styles.

I have a CBST but switched to Theis holsters because Crossbreed refuses to offer plain clips without the crosses embossed on them. If you are wearing a brown belt, they are very noticable. I've had people ask me what they are.

Concealed means concealed.

What gun are you buying the CB for?
    Unless my second trip to the range tonight changes my mind, I plan on buying the Sig P238. So it would be a mini tuck. I don't think I would like the Micro Clip.

Theis horsehide is $65. According to CB website, CBST horsehide is $84.75. if you go with cowhide then Theis is $55 vs CBST @ $69.75.
    Oh, good catch!

Check out Crossbreed seconds.
    Thanks for the link! And yeah, enough people have complained about the metal clips that I don't think I'm going to get them. CB offers "velcro clips" and Theis offers "kydex clips" - do you think these are comparable?

Crossbreed refuses to offer plain clips without the crosses embossed on them.
    Yeah, they are quite noticeable. Do you like the Theis holster?

Yeah, they are quite noticeable. Do you like the Theis holster?
    I like the Theis holsters more than CB because of their willingness to use PLAIN Kydex clips. Quality is equivalent but Theis is less money. I actually bought a pair of Kydex clips from Tommy and replaced the metal clips on my CB. The crosses just don't fit in with the objective of carrying concealed IMO.
    Last edited by swinokur; October 8th, 2012 at 11:36 AM.

I love Theis holsters. Plus Tommy is great to work with and has the best customer service I have ever seen.
    Azchief and LaraCroft10 like this.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

I like Theis holsters better , I've had both. I did however like the crosses on the clips on the Crossbreed. Fit perfect with the ideal of protecting my loved ones IMO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links