Uncle Mikes vs FoxX

This is a discussion on Uncle Mikes vs FoxX within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am currently carrying my XD9SC in an open uncle mikes IWB holster. It has worked fine, but I do have my doubts about the ...

Thread: Uncle Mikes vs FoxX

Uncle Mikes vs FoxX

I am currently carrying my XD9SC in an open uncle mikes IWB holster. It has worked fine, but I do have my doubts about the cloth expanding and the weak clip. Any tips on how to carry optimally with such a holster, opinions, or drawbacks would be appreciated. I have done some research and am considering buying a FoxX IWB hybrid holster. Any opinions on those as well? I am fairly new to the CC world and trying to learn all I can.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I'm not sure what "works fine" in an Uncle Mike's anything constitutes, but I would never consider recommending or using anything they make for concealed carry. I'm no fan of Crossbreed type hybrids, either, but understand their widespread popularity. Here is the holster I wear, and recommend:
    The Brommeland Max-Con V, (arguably) The Best IWB Holster On The Planet - YouTube
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Senior Moderator
    The only Uncle Mikes holster that i use with any regularity is a pocket holster

If you are on a budget (who isn't) I recommend Stage 3 - Inside the Waistband - Hip - Gun Holster Kit - Old Faithful Holsters | Old Faithful Holsters there kits can save you some $$$$
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

For an IWB on a budget you might want to check out the "BaseMax" from White Hat Holsters $39.50 BaseMax IWB Holster - Cowhide or Horsehide leather backings or for a little more you could get the "MaxTuck" MaxTuck IWB Holster - Cowhide or Horsehide leather backings

I have the MaxTuck Horsehide and love it.

The interchangeable kydex that White Hat holsters offers is something you should consider if you might be planning on carrying more than one type of gun or think you might get a different gun in the future. Right now a replacement kydex goes for as little as $19.95.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Most of the stories you read about where people have guns fall out in public places and or shoot themselves are usually as a result of no holster or a cheap one size fits most holster that doesn't have proper retention
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Are there any problems with the screws being uncomfortable compared to the rivets?

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    I own several Uncle Mike holsters, and regard them as cheap junk to use temporarily while looking and waiting for a good holster.

They serve a purpose, and it is not long term use.

Hmmmm.....All I use is Uncle Mikes. I usually do my own "custom" modifications on a few such as removing various stitching to facilitate quicker presentation. They offer great protection for the gun....Those with thumbreaks are fully adjustable, smooth working, easily snapped open. (never had any open on their own).

The verticle holster rigs are completely adjustable, strong and enduring. I use those for the N-frame Smith (.44mag, 4 inch) and the Beretta PX 4 full size (WITH rail mounted laser AND tact. light installed). Others I use are their J-frame ankle holster and their hip holster (J-frame).

All are made from materials that conform very well to gun shape and utilize closed-cell inner layer foam which goes a long way toward keeping the weapon dry. Never had ANY problem with any.....PLUS....you have a few bucks left for more gun stuff!

Alrighty, I better go check the mail....see if my monthly Uncle Mikes royality check has arrived yet!!

neverenough
    Attached Images

I have a fox that I carry a Taurus .45 in. It is comfortable. It has gotten more comfortable the more I wear it.

I have a crossbreed ordered for my xds.

I ended up going with the FoXX hybrid holster and I love it! Leaps and bounds better than my uncle mikes. Its pretty comfy and has good retention. I would recommend it for anyone who doesn't want to spend a forture on a CBST. Mine was $41 after PA tax (no shipping costs)

Hi Crow.....Well if you love it, then it's a good choice! (I'm guessing the XD is content also)!

I'll still be collecting my Uncle Mikes royality checks though....

neverenough
    Attached Images

Links