Going to OWB

This is a discussion on Going to OWB within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm having mdmorgan build me a custom kydex holster for OWB. I've always carried IWB before so I'd appreciate any and all tips for carrying ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By QKShooter

Thread: Going to OWB

Going to OWB

I'm having mdmorgan build me a custom kydex holster for OWB. I've always carried IWB before so I'd appreciate any and all tips for carrying OWB. Your tips and researching past forum topics should put me way ahead of the curve.
    Thanks,
    Stu

2. Remove Ads

Is your OWB holster going to be a belt or paddle holster? I carried OWB for a week while waiting for my IWB holster. I tried both a belt and paddle and liked paddle more. For me, the belt holster puts all the weight on your belt whereas with a paddle some of the weight can be reduced by the paddle part sticking on your body.

If I can't get used to carrying IWB, I'll go back to a paddle holster.

Its a belt holster in the raven/

Bravo style

A good belt helps it ride tighter. And make sure to pass the belt through the holster, then through a belt loop, then out the holster. That belt loop in the middle keeps it pulled in close too. I carry mine back around 4:00 and conceal a G19 under a t shirt without much printing. Some guns will disappear even better OWB. But the G19 is a big gun.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Administrator
    OWB. You'll love it. Buy a good stiff gun belt.
    Thunder71 likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I have found that OWB is a bit more comfortable, I just have to wear a bit larger shirt.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My recent OWB experience (link) I should have another OWB Kydex holster arriving soon from pjholsters (link).

Successful OWB requires two things: 1. Quality holster 2. Stiff belt. As long as you have those, the rest is simple. For OWB I personally only use leather, with a lot of forward cant and a high ride.

Once the weather hits football season, I can hardly think of a reason to carry IWB. Have to agree with previous posts about a stiff gun belt making a huge difference with OWB. With a high rise holster even a short jacket is cover.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I tried IWB for a few days and said to hell with that lol I will forever carry OWB with a high, tight and slight forward cant on my holsters. I haven't tried the paddle holsters yet... My XDm .45 4.5 came with one... Maybe I'll try it out when I get back

Thanks for the feedback.

Links