Giving up on IWB holsters

This is a discussion on Giving up on IWB holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You're giving up on IWB without actually trying it. The Remora holster is a neat concept, but in reality it is somewhat of a gimmick, ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Giving up on IWB holsters

VIP Member
    You're giving up on IWB without actually trying it. The Remora holster is a neat concept, but in reality it is somewhat of a gimmick, albeit one with a huge following on this forum. Uncle Mike's stuff is what it is... cheap prices and cheap gear.

People have mentioned a few options... give any of them a try. Crossbreed, Comp Tac, UBG, Gary Brommeland, Milt Sparks, Dale Fricke, etc. It doesn't matter, but give a real holster a shot and see what you think.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    You're giving up on IWB without actually trying it. The Remora holster is a neat concept, but in reality it is somewhat of a gimmick, albeit one with a huge following on this forum. Uncle Mike's stuff is what it is... cheap prices and cheap gear.

People have mentioned a few options... give any of them a try. Crossbreed, Comp Tac, UBG, Gary Brommeland, Milt Sparks, Dale Fricke, etc. It doesn't matter, but give a real holster a shot and see what you think.
    - How is the Remora a gimmick? It is infinitely adjustable and secure. What else is a holster supposed to do that it can't?

This is coming from someone who owns real holsters (CrossBreed MiniTuck, MicroClip, Aker, FIST, Galco and several custom exotic skin holsters).
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Whoa now! Idk if anyone else has suggested the Old Faithful holsters but i was an unbeliever when it came to IWB as well, but was DETERMINED to find a good one, and the Old Faithful was GREAT. Not to mention i ordered it in the stage 3 kits which cost me something like $38, took 15 minutes to put together, so i saved about $40.

Check it out!
    Living a life free from fear, means being able to protect it at all times.
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
    NRA

VIP Member
    tokerblue, I promised myself I wouldn't answer the people that would defend the Remora against my post, but I guess I lied to myself because I am.

I'm not saying the Remora isn't a valuable tool to have in the box. It is THE answer for some people in some situations. However when you get down to brass tacks, it is a pocket holster that you stick into your pants. You then use the tension of the pants or your belt to hold it in place. It isn't secured to you in any significant way. It is "Mexican" carry without the drawbacks. (There are also other options that accomplish this same goal.) None of this makes it an IWB holster. It may be used as one, but that doesn't make it so. I can use vice grips as a hammer, but that doesn't make it a hammer.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Don't dismiss the belly band type holsters. Inexpensive, practical and safe.
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

I've tried two Remora holsters and I still am uneasy about not having a clip to keep the holster in place, even though it does not move.

I also have an Uncle Mike's IWB holster. It fits my LCP perfectly, but I wear it at my 8 o'clock and the grip is angled out too far and prints terribly.
    Not all holsters fit all people's body shapes and carry locations.

Be sure you've got a proper belt, one that holds everything tightly to your body. I'd recommend at least 1.5" in width, of the sort that's firm enough to hold a ~30oz gun and gear effectively.

Be sure the holster you've chosen actually holds everything tightly to your body.

Be sure the cant on the holster allows for the butt of the gun to ride at an angle that it doesn't protrude badly, given your body shape and carry location. Try a different cant (ie, 15-20º forward).

Try a carry location (on the belt) at something other than 8 o'clock. Try appendix, or 3 o'clock, or 6:30.

Be sure your covering clothing is suitable for concealment. It can't be too form-fitting to your body. It can't be the "wrong" color, one in which the color(s) and/or pattern(s) fail to break up the bulge/edges. Adjustments are often needed, here, as not all clothing works on all people with all gun/holster combinations.

IWB can work on you, like as not, presuming you set on it and you find it comfortable enough. The trick's going to be to find that combination of holster, cant, ride height (high carry, low carry, etc), belt, and carry position that works with your body shape. What's that correct combination? Dunno, as it's a trial-and-error type deal for most folks, since everyone's shape, clothing and gear is different.
    shockwave likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I just started carrying in August and I've started by carrying an LCP. I happen to not carry a wallet, always been a money-clip kind of guy, so a wallet holster in my back pocket was ideal. I don't know if you're a George Costanza (Seinfeld reference) type who carry's a wallet as a portable file cabinet, but if switching to a money clip is possible, take a look at the Storus. Holds up to 5 cards (drivers license, credit cards, CCW permit, etc) and a wad of bills.

Welcome to Storus.com | Product Category | Smart Money Clips®

Holster Photo Gallery
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

Another vote for Crossbreed or similar holsters... I'm a 5'2 140lb female and conceal an LCP IWB just fine even in tight jeans and a fitted shirt...it just has to be positioned properly, low into the pants, forward cant and about 4-5:00.

All you need is right here.....

MicroClip | Crossbreed Holsters - MicroClip

I just recently started to carry and I started off pocket carrying it does get tight with phone and keys. I will recommend if you do that to hook your keys on a belt loop won't be as tight.
    But I recently got a IWB it's a Galco summer comfort and I carry a Glock 27 so it's bulky and I'm not a skinny guy but I carry it between 3 and 3:30 on me and half the time I forget its there. I also feel like everyone can see it, but haven't gotten any weird looks or anyone saying anything to me.

But do what feels good for you.

I'm 5'10" and average build, I'm carrying a smith 4 inch 357 mag model 65 round butt with a bobbed hammer on my side with a barami grip. I've been carrying this way at 3 o'clock position for over 30 years. Sometimes I carry my smith 642 in my front pocket with a pocket holster or I have a barami grip on it also. Very easy to hid under a tshirt and very comfortable. No printing at all. I have an auto loader but never liked carrying it. It feels thick and For me harder to conceal due to the grip. The revolver grip is a lot easier to hid and not print. That 4 inch barrel is easy to carry, sit down in a chair, car seat or what ever. I can carry it all day with no discomfort. I use a standard belt with it also. Those IWB holsters I could never get used to them For some reason.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Quote Originally Posted by TheConcealer View Post
    Whoa now! Idk if anyone else has suggested the Old Faithful holsters but i was an unbeliever when it came to IWB as well, but was DETERMINED to find a good one, and the Old Faithful was GREAT. Not to mention i ordered it in the stage 3 kits which cost me something like $38, took 15 minutes to put together, so i saved about $40.

Check it out!
    Big +1 on the Old Faithful. I've been carrying a full-sized S&W 9mm for almost 2 months and it works great! You can't beat it for price or function.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    try multiholsters.com
    he custom makes holsters, inclluding IWB.

I use his kydex "tuckable" IWB holster myself for a Walther PPQ.
    Saugus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JayTee View Post
    You're giving up on IWB without trying a Crossbreed?!
    Took the words right out of my mouth :)

galco-tuk and go my dad hated iwb till i got him this now its all he uses check it out you wont be dissapointed they run about 25 bucks
    Glock 23 Gen3-- Mepro Light Tru Glo night sights-Polished Internals-3.5 lb connector-6 lb trigger return spring Extended slide release lever-Stainless steel guide rod-Pierce grip plug
    Glock 26 gen3--
    Pierce +2 mag extension w/ finger groove

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links