Giving up on IWB holsters

This is a discussion on Giving up on IWB holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've had my LCP for about two months and still haven't gotten comfortable with IWB carrying yet. I've tried two Remora holsters and I still ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Giving up on IWB holsters

Giving up on IWB holsters

I've had my LCP for about two months and still haven't gotten comfortable with IWB carrying yet. I've tried two Remora holsters and I still am uneasy about not having a clip to keep the holster in place, even though it does not move. I also have an Uncle Mike's IWB holster. It fits my LCP perfectly, but I wear it at my 8 o'clock and the grip is angled out too far and prints terribly.

So now, I am trying to discover other options. OWB is always up for consideration, especially with winter on its way in the Midwest. I am very hesitant to do pocket carry, with a holster of course, simply because of the big bulge I'll have coming from my front pocket.

What would you recommend for those who have been in situations like this before? Do I stick it out and get used to the Remora, or should I try pocket carry? While I would consider OWB, I mainly wear long sleeved t-shirts in the colder months, so that would making concealing my LCP in an OWB holster a little more difficult as opposed to me wearing a jacket all the time.

Thanks for your input!

2. Remove Ads

And just to add... Pocket carry might be my next choice, but that means ill be giving up a pocket to only my gun. That means I'm left with one pocket for my keys and phone which could be a tight fit.

My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

You're giving up on IWB without trying a Crossbreed?!
    smolck and NY27 like this.

When I first started carrying I picked up a few IWB holsters, at first they all felt terribly uncomfortable and I felt like everybody could see a print.

After 6 months, all holsters are extremely comfortable and have never had anyone spot my carry piece including my wife who knows I have it on me somewhere.

My advice, stick it out and get more used to it. In reality you are probably printing very little and maybe a different position would help to make it even less.

I carry a Ruger SR40C paired with an old faithfull IWB holster. I felt the same the first few times I wore it. Now it's nice and broke it and most importantly I feel like the pistol is secured. Also, try moving to another position. Mine sits about the 4-430 position, depending on what pants or shorts I'm wearing.
    www.oldfaithfullholsters.com

Quote Originally Posted by JayTee View Post
    You're giving up on IWB without trying a Crossbreed?!
    Crossbreed is the best (in my opinion). I carry in one everyday and now that it is broken in, i sometimes don't even notice the weight anymore.
    Former US Army SFC
    LTC-Class A HC: MA
    AG License: RI
    LTC: CT

How about an IWB that's worth a damn before giving up on them? I'm a lefty and carry around 8 as well, with an XDM 3.8 compact, or a kahr cm9. Both in dual clip hybrids (like the crossbreed supertuck/ mini tuck). These allow for adjustable cant, adjust it as far forward as possible which pulls the muzzle down and back and the grip more vertical keeping it from poking out as much. If you're super skinny, try appendix IWB? My dad is 6'0" 150 lbs. and has to appendix carry his sr9c which he gets away with fine, with no problems, With something as small as a LCP that should be a breeze. Though he also. Has an LCP that he pocket carries as well if you're willing to give up a pocket (desanti nemesis is a great Pocket holster IMO).

Phillip

Kangaroo cary

Give the Kangaroo Carry system a try. I got one a couple of weeks ago and am very happy with it so far. Very comfortable. Doesn't print. You can draw just as easily standing or sitting. It takes a little practice for a consistently smooth draw, but the same is true for IWB with a tucked-in shirt.

No offense but I can make my LC9 disappear holstered iwb with a slurpie cup if I wanted to and the LCP is its midget brother. You shouldn't have any problem with printing ever. I can pocket carry my LC9 without printing it in my front pocket. If I put a tiny LCP in there I might lose it. Lol

I find it hard to believe that a LCP prints, unless you are wearing spandex.

I dual pocket carry daily, so if you want to go the pocket route, I'll give you some advice about what to do with the other "stuff." Keys go on a carabiner clipped to a belt loop. Wallet goes in a rear pocket (I use a BigSkinny wallet so it isn't like sitting on a brick). Phone goes in a belt phone holster. Ta da - done.

If you want the ultimate pocket holster for concealment, get one with an anti-print panel. It will look like a wallet in your pocket. I use one from www.hiddenholsters.net, and I had a thumb push-off added. That helps get the pistol out of the holster cleanly.

Hope this helps - good luck!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by RugerSRGuy View Post
    No offense but I can make my LC9 disappear holstered iwb with a slurpie cup if I wanted to and the LCP is its midget brother. You shouldn't have any problem with printing ever. I can pocket carry my LC9 without printing it in my front pocket. If I put a tiny LCP in there I might lose it. Lol
    I'm with you. My two main carry guns have been the LC9 and LCP. I carry the LCP in a cheap uncle mikes IWB and it disappears regardless of my attire. Unless you are wearing tight fitting clothing I don't see how an LCP could print.

OP before you give up check out N82 tactical. I carry my LC9 in one of their holsters and the gun completely disappears underneath a tshirt. If you absolutely can't do IWB get a wallet holster and carry it in your back pocket. I was apprehensive about that at first but it looks like my wallet is in that pocket and it shifts to the side when you sit just like your wallet would. When I carry my LCP as a backup that's what I do.
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid. - Han Solo
    NRA Member

Are you tilting the gun/holster to a forward cant? For concealability this makes a world of difference vs straight up and down. For me, the forward cant makes the pistol disappear.

Definitely try a Crossbreed SuperTuck. When going light, I carry a Sig P232 in a SuperTuck, and it pretty much disappears. I also am a big fan of the Duluth Trader Long Tail T-Shirts and sleeved shirts, as the hang well below even an OWB holster, particularly if you order them one size bigger than your normal. If you are looking for a decent OWB, I love the CrossBreed SnapSlide holsters. You can even reverse thread them, if you have a strong belt, and wear the gun between your belt and your pants; that seriously holds the gun tight to your side.

To me, the LCP is a pocket gun and too small to bother with IWB carry.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links