Whats a good leather IWB holster for Jframe 642?

This is a discussion on Whats a good leather IWB holster for Jframe 642? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I want to start out by saying that I think hybrid style holsters such as the Crossbreed or MTAC are very versatile and comfortable. They ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Whats a good leather IWB holster for Jframe 642?

Whats a good leather IWB holster for Jframe 642?

I want to start out by saying that I think hybrid style holsters such as the Crossbreed or MTAC are very versatile and comfortable. They usually are less expensive and quicker to get also which is great. While I know you cannot see a IWB, I like something a bit more purdy if you know what I mean. There is just something about a nice leather holster that makes me smile everytime I put one on and take one off.

So any suggestions for a good leather IWB holster for the Jframe?

I was kind of thinking of a canted clip holster that I can wear around 4 o'clock so I can take it on and off easier. But then I was thinking that since having two straps or clips spread out will distribute the weight on my belt better and be a bit more comfy. I also prefer to have some sort of strap or clip as opposed to a no clip design.

Please post pics of our jframe iwb leather holsters if you have any.

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Picked up this High Noon Hideaway holster for my 442 years ago. Pretty sure it was $25 in the closeout section. It is my most comfortable and concealable set up when carried appendix at 1:30. Tried it at 3:00 and 4:00 and didn't get the hang of it. Have an OWB for that carry.

Look forward to the other options presented in thread.

Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    Picked up this High Noon Hideaway holster for my 442 years ago. Pretty sure it was $25 in the closeout section. It is my most comfortable and concealable set up when carried appendix at 1:30. Tried it at 3:00 and 4:00 and didn't get the hang of it. Have an OWB for that carry.

Look forward to the other options presented in thread.
    I can't do appendix but I think they have a canted version. $25 is a steal. I think that model is about $100.

VIP Member
    I use either a desantis summer heat or a Galco royal guard IWB.

High Noon still has the Bare Asset. It isn't actually leather, it is a proprietary leather like material. But, they are very durable, under $30, and will be there by the end of the week.

I buy one for all of my smaller pistols, so that I at least have something. But, they are a lot better than most of the $30 holsters. It doesn't have all the nicest features, it isn't reinforced, and not nicely molded. But, they work. And High Noon has a really good customer service department.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    High Noon still has the Bare Asset. It isn't actually leather, it is a proprietary leather like material. But, they are very durable, under $30, and will be there by the end of the week.

I buy one for all of my smaller pistols, so that I at least have something. But, they are a lot better than most of the $30 holsters. It doesn't have all the nicest features, it isn't reinforced, and not nicely molded. But, they work. And High Noon has a really good customer service department.
    Are they comfortable enough to wear all day?

Would you be willing to post Any photos of the bare asset or mr softy holsters?

I have seen photos but not many "real world" photos.

Thanks

Yes, they are comfortable enough for all day. The wide clip helps stabilize it, and distribute weight, and the hook on the bottom means it won't come off unless you want it to.

They have an adjustable retention screw so that you can adjust it to your gun too.

I've actually started carrying mine more appendix, at about 2:30, and even with the cant, it works.

I have bare assets for both the Smith 638, and Bersa Thunder .380, and both work well for all day carry.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Here's a few Mr. Softies for you. All are a couple years old. One is worn nearly every day. So far so good.

Old School likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    Here's a few Mr. Softies for you. All are a couple years old. One is worn nearly every day. So far so good.

Thank you! They look nicer and more durable than I expected. The price is the only thing that was scaring me. I have had cheap holsters in the past such as Uncle Mikes and they are sooooooooooooooooooooooo bad that I can't even wear them around the house.

I have a Galco Summer Comfort IWB for my Kimber 1911 that I wear a lot--in fact I am wearing it right now--and so I went ahead a bought a Summer Comfort for my S&W 642, as well. It isn't quite as comfortable as the 1911, since the cylinder on the revolver is a bit fatter, but it is still a pretty comfortable holster. Good quality leather, well made, carries well. I don't think ANY IWB will ever be as comfortable as an OWB holster, but the Summer Comfort is pretty good. Just my .02. Sorry I don't have any pics to post. Oh, btw, I got it at Optics Planet. They have pretty good prices, ship free for a minimum purchase (the holster qualified), give good service and ship promptly.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

hbc
    +1 on the Don Hume H715 MSO

Is it that one canted? I like Don Hume products but it seems like they are really hard to come by locally as well as online. I frequently check out gunnersalley but they always seem to be out of stock on many items.

Quote Originally Posted by joepa150 View Post
    I can't do appendix but I think they have a canted version. $25 is a steal. I think that model is about $100.
    Thats the Hideaway, its $74.95 Hideaway w/clip

The other one is the Public Secret, more bells and whistles Public Secret w/clip Stocking Item

Alex
    High Noon Holsters
    www.HighNoonHolsters.com

Alessi makes some of the best holsters i've used,check out their website..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links