EDC Holster popularity differs depending on forums?

This is a discussion on EDC Holster popularity differs depending on forums? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I usually visit this forum, THR, glocktalk, firing line and 1911 forums. It seems that Milt Sparks Vm2 or other high end leather holsters are ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: EDC Holster popularity differs depending on forums?

I usually visit this forum, THR, glocktalk, firing line and 1911 forums. It seems that Milt Sparks Vm2 or other high end leather holsters are popular on the 1911 forums. I guess I can understand that if you have $1000 1911s, you probably are not going to use a $20 holster from dicks sporting goods. It seems on here and the other forums mentioned above, there is a good mix of leather and hybrid holsters. I see different hybrids with a lot of Crossbreeds.

Today I visited the AR15 forums and it seemed that most people use hybrid over there and it is mostly MTACs. I don't see that many MTACS here these days.

I just thought it Interesting how these things can vary. I do have my theories but will not go into.

Any thoughts on this?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Herd mentality?

Or maybe a lot of people stick to one or two forums and are only exposed to that forum's holster of choice?

I dunno. I'm no psychologist.

Could it be that those who prefer traditional materials choose 1911's and leather. Myself I prefer real wood with oil finish and cut checkering on my firearms. I even prefer steel frame over lightweight alloys. I did not adapt my preferences to suit the gun or holster I like. I chose the weapon and accessories to fit my preferences in traditional hand fitted workmanship.
    I like and admire traditional hand craftsmanship. The 1911, revolvers and leather satisfy that preference. Kinda like the difference between a skillfully done oil painting and a digital photo.

Michael
    Old School likes this.

VIP Member
    For me, the Glock 19 in a Brommeland Max-Con V on a Wilderness Instructor belt is as good as it will ever be. With a wait time of at least months for a custom holster, small wonder that many opt for something that ships the same day the order is received at half the price.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I have SIGs, Glocks, and M&Ps. Have Sparks and Kramer holsters for all, with several more yet to come from Sparks. Also have a few TT holsters and a Brommeland. As you see, I prefer leather, good leather.

And have a Sparks VMII horse and shark for my 1911. They just go together.

I just never cared for kydex. Took me awhile to get used to plastic guns. Don't think I would get used to plastic holsters, although there are a few Fobus holsters in the drawer. But I am a terrible holster snob.

Odd, I have an MTAC for my EDCs...& leather...oops and an elephant/horseleather for my 1911
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

Quote Originally Posted by joepa150 View Post
    I usually visit this forum, THR, glocktalk, firing line and 1911 forums. It seems that Milt Sparks Vm2 or other high end leather holsters are popular on the 1911 forums.
    I think it has more to do with the weight of the guns and needing a solid platform to properly carry them than anything else. Ever try to conceal carry a 1911 in an Uncle Mikes nylon holster? It don't work with a 38-42oz gun.

Any thoughts on this?
    Regarding DC folks? Hmm ...

Good mix equates to reasonable cross-section of the carrying population? A sensible, well-balanced group that's not afraid of taking some risks? Those most resistant to the herd mentality? Perhaps, though IANAS.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    I think it has more to do with the weight of the guns and needing a solid platform to properly carry them than anything else. Ever try to conceal carry a 1911 in an Uncle Mikes nylon holster? It don't work with a 38-42oz gun.
    I know you can carry 1911s in hybrids such as a crossbreed easily but more 1911 owners seem to go the leather route.

I agree with you that maybe if I go to the LCP forums, the uncle mikes probably are popular.

Group think?
    Old School likes this.

Leather, Combat Grip,Quality Stiching, Slide Guards, Hammer Guards for revolvers, Sight Tracks, Minimum Leather. These are the minimun requirements for me in a holster.

High Noon fits the majority of my holster needs for AIWB carry. There are some others that I like. Kydex is really not a preference for me.

I have at least two holsters for every handgun I own.

Whatever blows your dress up is what is right for each and every one who carries.

Image 3.jpgImage 4.jpg Glock 23 in a High Noon Public Secret
    click image to enlarge....

Image 1.jpg S&W Model 60 in a High Noon Public Secret

Image.jpg Browning HP in a Garrity Changling

Image 7.jpg S&W Model 65 w/3" barrel in a Side Guard Quick Clip

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I use a MTAC or a Theis every day.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Well, I for one love the three Comp-Tac's I have (MTAC, CTAC, and their Paddle). Don't own a Crossbreed but if I did I think I'd luv that one too! My custom K&D leather OWB is really my favorite but I also have soft spot my canvas sholder (UM I think..... a military 'throwaway' I kept). Shoot, even my $12 Fobus has a place in my holster dawer. In reality, all my holsters have a place and get used according to my dress, weather, and my mood.

I've noticed in several fourms some holsters get more 'post' time than others, but people I've noticed like what works for 'em..... just like me and really don't knock other holsters unless they're just 'that bad'. (i.e. Milt Sparks Summer Special..... I couldn't stand that thing! But others love and it works for them.) I'd love a VM II, but I'll wait to $pend that money....... things are tight but when I $ave enough nickels and dimes I'm getting that pricey 1911, and a VM II might be just the 'compaion' for it.

I imagine each fourm (I don't share too much time with the others anymore) are a little like the cliques from school or at work, they 'support' their fashion sense and what they see as the cool, 'in' thing. I'll wave the banner of the stuff I like and won't step on somebody else's banner for their holster of choice.

Carry on!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Ibut more 1911 owners seem to go the leather route.
    I attribute this to not wanting to mar the finish on those 1911's (which leather does anyways).

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post

I imagine each fourm (I don't share too much time with the others anymore) are a little like the cliques from school or at work, they 'support' their fashion sense and what they see as the cool, 'in' thing. I'll wave the banner of the stuff I like and won't step on somebody else's banner for their holster of choice.

Carry on!
    I agree with that. Once a few well repected/high post count members swear by a holster, then everyone starts to jump on the bandwagon.

When I first started carrying, it was between a MTAC or a Crossbreed. I went with the Crossbreed because I saw more posts about them than the MTAC even though I liked the features and look of the MTAC better. Now I have seen a bunch of MTAC owners on the other board and now I may buy one. I guess I am just like the rest lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links