Can anybody tell me when this holster would be from?

This is a discussion on Can anybody tell me when this holster would be from? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently purchased an old vintage shoulder holster. I am having trouble determining when it could be from, though. It is marked "6 The George ...

I recently purchased an old vintage shoulder holster. I am having trouble determining when it could be from, though. It is marked "6 The George Lawrence Co. Portland, Oregon 514". I have no idea when it might be from, or what guns it may fit. If anybody has any idea, I would appreciate any information you could give me on the matter. Attached are pictures of said holster. Thank you.

DSC04626.jpg
    DSC04627.jpg
    DSC04628.jpg
    DSC04629.jpg
    DSC04634.jpg

North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Likely you'd be surprised to learn that the spring-loaded shoulder holster with the "C" spring clip (like yours) is amongst the oldest U.S. holster patents, dating back to to the 1890s; the drawings show a cowboy on horseback. So yours could be quite old.

And it was a standard way that all companies made them for the big guns, until the 60s. The oldest Lawrence catalogue I have access to, that shows such a holster, is a 1957. So yours could be from the latter part of the "C" period. To me that's not old

I expect a fan(atic)about Lawrence would know the age of your holster just from the details of the stamping of their name; the company (or what was left of it) was acquired by Gould & Goodrich circa 1990, perhaps they'll have someone who'll know more accurately.
    Red (Richard) Nichols

A quickie internet search brings up a few "makers mark" type web pages out there, including this: The George Lawrence Company History @ Vintage Gun Leather.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I'd say it's from the 1950-1960's. The lace harness was popular then. The 514 I would say is the style and size. It's probably for a K frame sized revolver.
    Be not far from me, for trouble is near; For there is none to help. psalm22:11

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    On first pic; shouldn't the strap go behind the neck and not across the chest? Otherwise the strap will be visible when wearing a jacket or cover garment.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Thank you all very much, for your help.

I had seen the link that was posted a couple of times, but all I could get from that was that the holster dated between the 1940s, and the 1980s.

rednichols: You're absolutely right about my surprise at learning that the "C" spring clip dates back to the 1890s. Given that both you and Mr. Wind believe it to be from the 1950s-1960s, I'm inclined to think that's the likely era. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed that it's not older, but I'm happy I found out. My quest for a 1930s holster for a Police positive .38 continues. I thank the both of you very much, for all the information.

Gunnutty: You're absolutely right, it is supposed to be worn behind the neck (at least that's how I typically wear it), but I was just trying to get pictures of the holster itself, so I didn't raise a fuss when he put it on like that.

Thanks again everybody.

I'm wondering if the "6" means 6" barrel. Frame size would probably be in the K frame region. I think I had one of those way back when, they were horrible.

To finish off the story from the Google search up top George Lawrence Company History and Maker Marks - www.vintagegunleather.com California, last I heard from Jim Buffaloe , he was designing holsters for Mixon. Jim was living in Davie Fl at the time. But that was late 90's and he was not in good health.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by High Noon View Post
    To finish off the story from the Google search up top George Lawrence Company History and Maker Marks - www.vintagegunleather.com California, last I heard from Jim Buffaloe , he was designing holsters for Mixon. Jim was living in Davie Fl at the time. But that was late 90's and he was not in good health.

Michael
    Mmm, and before that he was with G&G; and before that on his own, and before that with Roy Baker. The things he told me about all those companies! I remember him best for failing to follow up on testifying in support of my lawsuit against G&G for infringing on my SightStrip patent; which I won without him, anyway. But he, more than I, was a master craftsman: his floral carving is/was unsurpassed.
    Red (Richard) Nichols

I knew you could fill in the gap, LOL

Michael

Links