question about simply ruggeds silver dollar pancake holster

This is a discussion on question about simply ruggeds silver dollar pancake holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just got this holster the other day for my SP101. From what I read this was a good holster for the SP. My question is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: question about simply ruggeds silver dollar pancake holster

question about simply ruggeds silver dollar pancake holster

Just got this holster the other day for my SP101. From what I read this was a good holster for the SP.
    My question is how much retention should there be on the gun `with this type of holster?
    I have worn it only about two days and i think the gun is kind of loose. I can just put the gun in the holster and it goes right in with very little effort, and if I hold the holster upside down the gun falls right out!
    Is this the way this the way a pancake holster is supposed to be?

2. Remove Ads

NMB
    I assume you are talking about their leather holsters. Leather pancake wont have much if any retention. Even if there was, it being made of leather, it would get worn in and loosen up eventually anyways.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

it is leather but I though it should have more retention then it does, just doesent seem very secure

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Well...I do not own the Silver Dollar, but I do have two Cuda's, one for a G26 and another for the G19. The guns go in smoothly and when the holster is turned upside down sometimes they stay put and other times they slowly slide out. All I can say is that I wear my Cuda day in and day out (generally), including lots of hikes, and have never had a problem. I believe you will find that when the gun is holstered and actually on the belt that retention is superb, like hang upside down and swing superb. If your still in doubt I would read through the FAQ's and or just shoot him a message and see what he says, if something is wrong I have confidence he will fix it, Simply Rugged is known for their excellent products! Best of luck, shoot safe.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Do not have a Silver Dollar but did consider one; don't recall much boning on the holster and the boning seems to be what retains my guns when I gentle shake the upside down holster. I did think the smooth outline of the SD pancake gave it good concealment properties. I think you've got a good holster and, unless you're doing some vigorous physical activity it shouldn't be a problem.

Have you tried cinching your belt tighter ( to increase tension on the holster)?

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    I have one for a 44 bulldog. It doesn't have much boning. When belted on I have had no problems with the gun being loose. Off the belt the gun will definitely come out when held upside down.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Quote Originally Posted by NMB View Post
    I assume you are talking about their leather holsters. Leather pancake wont have much if any retention. Even if there was, it being made of leather, it would get worn in and loosen up eventually anyways.
    Wow... that seems like some bad advice..... "it will loosen up anyway" ..... yes, but only to a degree. I have numerous holsters, and none of them have ever "loosened" up enough to not hold the gun and maintain a good retention of it.
    Also, depends upon the pancake holster and who made it...... mine hold the gun very very securely..... and the gun is not going anywhere. And, I'm quite phsycially active when wearing them. I can definitely hold the holster upside down
    and the gun is staying in the holster. Most Mfgrs make them "tight" to allow for any loosening up the holster is going to do and to allow for it.

To me , sounds like the forming, etc. of the Mfgr is not as good as it should be. My .02 cents.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by bill35738 View Post
    Just got this holster the other day for my SP101. From what I read this was a good hoster for the SP. My question is how much retention should there be on the gun `with this type of holster? I have worn it only about two days and i think the gun is kind of lose. I can just put the gun in the holster and it goes right in with very little effert,and if I hold the holster upside down the gun falls right out! Is this the way this the way a pancake holster is supposed to be
    Your experience with your Silver Dollar holster from Simply Rugged is different from mine. I have 4 holsters from Simply Rugged, one of which is the Silver Dollar Pancake that carrys my SP101. All of these holsters have been very snug at first, requiring some break in before normal draw ease could be accomplished.

I can't say why yours came to you loose but your pancake holster should not drop your revolver when held upside down.

I purchased a Simply Rugged pancake holster for my SP101 a few months ago. The best thing I can say is, you can get the gun inside and walk around. For the money, I expected a little more quality. It seems it's only two pieces of leather stitched together for a generic fit of multiple size guns.

I have a heck of a time threading my Beltman 1-1/2 inch belt through the leather slots, extremely tight. Takes two hands to carefully re holster the revolver as the mouth is not reinforced and will collapse when the revolver is removed. Even cinched tight it's like I have my own personal mouse squeak as I move.

I would not buy that holster again, I would look for a comfortable holster made and fitted for my particular gun with a reinforced mouth.
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

The belt adds to tension. Have worn mine about 50% of carry time for a couple years now. It is my most comfortable set up and one of the most concealable due to shape (no outline of revolver).

I have a Cuda on order for a 1911.

The belt will add the retention when you wear it. Mine will fall out when I dont have it on but when I am wearing it, it isnt going anywhere without being pulled on.
    OldVet likes this.
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    When that BG holds me upside-down and shakes me, I hope my 4566 pistol lands on his big toe. He'll turn me loose!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

It looks to be decent quality leather. Very simplistic in design and should be adequately secure when on the belt with the high coverage and front and rear belt slots. You can't expect a whole lot with the wide stitchline and blocked out molding. Probably better as a range or sport utility holster than concealed carry. I don't know what they charge but it looks like it would be a fair value in the $30 to $40 range.

Quote Originally Posted by Denster View Post
    It looks to be decent quality leather. Very simplistic in design and should be adequately secure when on the belt with the high coverage and front and rear belt slots. You can't expect a whole lot with the wide stitchline and blocked out molding. Probably better as a range or sport utility holster than concealed carry. I don't know what they charge but it looks like it would be a fair value in the $30 to $40 range.
    Actually they are about $60.00 without any embossing. They are pancake holsters and as such they pull in close to the body for good concealment. They aren't a high dollar holster but they are a good product that you can order and you will receive it while you're still young.
    Attached Images
    zero likes this.

Sixty bucks seems a bit much for no more work than has gone into the holster. Concealment is the forte of the pancake design no doubt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links