Leather, Kydex or Nylon???

This is a discussion on Leather, Kydex or Nylon??? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I looking for a good OWB holster for my new SIG P250c. I'm new to CC and I am so confused by all the holster ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By High Noon
  • 1 Post By GH

Thread: Leather, Kydex or Nylon???

Leather, Kydex or Nylon???

I looking for a good OWB holster for my new SIG P250c. I'm new to CC and I am so confused by all the holster options. I want to carry OWB on my belt. As I look around online it seem's all I see for my 250 are the Kydex plastic, Blackhawk and Fobus, and SIG being the most popular. I've read that they are good but no very concealable. I've looked at a few leather holster manufacturers and they seem to not have the selection for the 250. And Nylon is really cheap and would fit any gun but how is their durablility.

I pretty sure I want a good leather belt holster with a thumb break that won't jepordize by kids' college fund. Any suggestions???
    I don't want to be a hero, but I'm sure not going to be a victim.

Hydrogen and human stupidty are the two most common elements on earth, not necessarily in that order. -- Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

I did a quick search and one that seemed to come up the most was a DeSantis Thumb Break Scabbard. Won't break the college fund.

There are plenty of kydex holsters out the in the $50-$60 range that will serve you well. None use a thumbreak but they have reasonable retention by there tight fit.

Check out glocktalk's classified section. There are at least three that fit your needs with short lead times.

Quote Originally Posted by Spovik View Post
    I did a quick search and one that seemed to come up the most was a DeSantis Thumb Break Scabbard. Won't break the college fund.
    +1 on DeSantis Thumb Break Scabbard. I've got one for my M&P Shield--it does the job. Get a good belt too.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Kydex wears on a gun finish faster than leather, but with reasonable care it won't "harm" the gun, only the finish. But a gun's a tool, just like a screwdriver--if you use it it's going to get wear. Kydex is also less flexible and sometimes less comfortable than leather or nylon, and nosier on the draw, something some don't like. But it is durable. Usually has a tight fit that secures a firearm well.

Leather looks nice, is more comfortable, but can still cause finish wear over time. The price may run higher, depending on the quality of work.

Nylon is very generic, doesn't necessariy grip a gun well, but is inexpensive. Okay for a gerneral purpose holster. Nice for use when keeping a gun in the glovebox or tool box.

There's a LOT of holster makers out there. Take your time looking. Maybe the kid will have graduated by the time you find the ideal one!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Garrett's Silent Thunder Kydex and leather blend are very nice.

This is the OWB belt holster I have for my LCP whenever I carry OWB. It fits my LCP great, but can also hold a gun as big as a Colt 38 Super.

Here is a list of holster makers: Mega holster maker's links list - thread updated

I have always used leather holsters, mag carriers, sheaths, and belts. That is just my style. In leather there is a bewildering array of choices in OWB, so just take you time, and study. Good luck. I'll add a couple of links here a bit later.

Remember, holsters are like purses: everyone has their own opinion and will tell you about their favorite, which is nice, but not very useful, because you are not them

Take some time and study the "stickies" above your post too.

Quote Originally Posted by BradL View Post
    I looking for a good OWB holster for my new SIG P250c. I'm new to CC and I am so confused by all the holster options. I want to carry OWB on my belt. As I look around online it seem's all I see for my 250 are the Kydex plastic, Blackhawk and Fobus, and SIG being the most popular. I've read that they are good but no very concealable. I've looked at a few leather holster manufacturers and they seem to not have the selection for the 250. And Nylon is really cheap and would fit any gun but how is their durablility.

I pretty sure I want a good leather belt holster with a thumb break that won't jepordize by kids' college fund. Any suggestions???
    My personal preference for the semi autos that I carry is Kydex. The best Kydex holster I have found for concealed carry outside the waistband is the FIST K1 with belt loop adapters. It would lighten the kids' college fund by about $75.00.
    Attached Images

Leather, kydex, or a hybrid will do the trick. Stay away from nylon. There is no strength to a nylon holster so it will sag and flop around. Get a good belt too. You want a holster that sits tightly on your side, no offset from the belt. Some Blackhawks and fobus's simply offset from the belt too much to CC well.

And if you are going to just CC with it I would not worry about the thumb break. I carry 99% OWB with either a leather kydex hybrid of leather scabbard. My G19 has never fallen out.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I have a Stoner holster 'FBI' holster for my 250SC (cants forward, open top and bottom, belt winds through the heavy leather) . Rides high and even a t-shirt is long enough to cover the business end. They are custom made to your model even with rail.

I also use their bees wax compound on the inside. Does not make the pistol loose, but does make it draw smooth.

George
    Smile. It makes people wonder what you are up to

We make TB's for the 250's in leather

Sky High.jpg

Sky High

Close Up Sky High Tan

Alex
    Scramble4a5 likes this.
    High Noon Holsters
    www.HighNoonHolsters.com

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BradL View Post

My two cents? I love a good, rigid leather OWB holster. Kydex are fine, too if you're looking for one with retention, like a Serpa. I'm not big on Nylon or soft holsters, due to the difficulties with reholstering them, and fraying.

I've been looking at buying a Prince holster, myself when I have the cash.

GH
    That's one good looking holster, High Noon.
    High Noon likes this.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Operations Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    Leather, kydex, or a hybrid will do the trick. Stay away from nylon. There is no strength to a nylon holster so it will sag and flop around. Get a good belt too. You want a holster that sits tightly on your side, no offset from the belt.
    I'd agree if we're talking the typical Uncle Mike's offerings; but this series I did for Elite Systems (aka Shooting Systems aka Assault Systems) has all the performance features, including concealment, of a leather holster:

ssg conceal (2).jpg

The slotted back panel is a synthetic leather that I invented back in the 90s, and the ballistic nylon holster body has a polymer inner layer. Note that the series includes a patented tension device, plus full-length full length sight protection inside.

Perhaps they should consider making the series in genuine leather?

Links