Modify a VMII or get a new holster made? - Page 2

Modify a VMII or get a new holster made?

This is a discussion on Modify a VMII or get a new holster made? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I added some suede to the inside of my galco king tuck, more for a little friction to help keep it in place, but it ...

View Poll Results: Should I mod the VMII or get a custom holster?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Modify the Milt Sparks VMII

6 35.29%
  • Get a custom holster made

4 23.53%
  • Other (please elaborate)

7 41.18%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Modify a VMII or get a new holster made?

I added some suede to the inside of my galco king tuck, more for a little friction to help keep it in place, but it is comfy. I would think lambs wool would get hot in the summer. I would recommend memory foam. I used it once on a rig for my 1911 and it smushes down nicely so it isn't bulky, relatively cool, and very comfy. You can either get a bunch of samples from the tempurpedic folks or buy one of those bed covers they have at walmart for $40 and then just glue it to the back with 3M automotive upholstery adhesive. If you do that, it won't go anywhere, I promise you (I'm a car guy, I've used it a lot).

Good luck.

I would probably try to mount it on temporarily may be with 2 sided tape to see if it works then you can remove it if not.

Lead Moderator
    A temporary mod might make the most sense, in case it doesn't fix the bruising issue.
    pgrass101 likes this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I've got two words for you - well... one word and a hyphenate:

All-you-can-eat Buffet!

No need to modify your expensive VMII - it's the comfort padding you can take with you anywhere! At least, that's what I keep telling myself...

As long as you insist on being skinny however, I'd modify to your heart's content. Both the lambswool and memory foam should work well, and you can prove it out with a little surgical tape before you make any permanent modifications.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    A temporary mod might make the most sense, in case it doesn't fix the bruising issue.
    This^
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

Senior Moderator
    I agree with Rocky, try a temp fix that might not be the best but would at least be able to tell you if lambs wool would fix the problem.

I have used sheep's skin on on my backpack hip belts to good effect (I don't have much natural padding either)
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

This may be a dumb questions, but have you tried an undershirt? Might be something to try before adding to the holster itself. And it may just be too thin, but it's worth a shot if you have not tried it.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Senior Moderator
    A temporary mod does sound like the way to go.

I don't think sheepskin (or lambswool) will be too thick because yesterday I was able to put my entire hand between my holster and my hip and just the padding of my palm made it feel so much better. That's what gave me the idea in the first place.

I like the double-sided tape idea.

Now to find some sheepskin and/or lambswool.

OD*
    I'd try the moleskin first, it makes the most sense to me.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    I'd try the moleskin first, it makes the most sense to me.
    We have moleskin and, believe me, it's not thick enough..lol
    OD* and JD like this.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    We have moleskin and, believe me, it's not thick enough..lol
    A real skinny Minnie, eh?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Now to find some sheepskin and/or lambswool.
    Check these folks out. Fantastic business. I use them for all my holster materials. Here is what come up when you search wool on their site.

Search - Springfield Leather Co. Inc.
    JD likes this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    Check these folks out. Fantastic business. I use them for all my holster materials. Here is what come up when you search wool on their site.

Search - Springfield Leather Co. Inc.
    Thanks for the link. That is by far the best price I've seen on pieces yet.

I desperately need some padding between the holster and my skin and bones as I have (and do) get bruised from long-term wear.

I've decided one of the best ways to go would be to add some lamb's wool to the backside of the IWB holster.

Wool is naturally moisture resistant as well as resistant to mold and fungus
    As a designer/maker myself, I'd suggest you cut the pad yourself and glue it to the back of the holster. How hard could it be? As for custom, unless you go to the Sparks mob themselves for the mod, you'll get another maker's interpretation of the holster itself, rather than what you like about the original. First rule of hot-rodding: change one thing at a time.
    JD and raytracer like this.
    Red (Richard) Nichols

I like the "temporarily mount it" idea. How about either thin double sided tape as mentioned earlier (red vinyl covered gray tape from HD is "emblem tape", is super thin (1-1.5mm) and super sticky or rubber glue. The tape glue can be removed with a little rubbing alcohol if desired or if the temp backing is changed for another type and it won't hurt the holsters finish. You may have to swab the tape areas on the holster first to take off some of the wax but in the end, a little show polish will fix it right back up.

I haven't tried moleskin but properly finished lambskin, sheepskin or maybe even rabbit might work.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links