Modify a VMII or get a new holster made?

This is a discussion on Modify a VMII or get a new holster made? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here's the deal. I love my VMII for for my Glock 19/26. I find myself carrying in that holster over all of the other millions ...

View Poll Results: Should I mod the VMII or get a custom holster?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Modify the Milt Sparks VMII

6 35.29%
  • Get a custom holster made

4 23.53%
  • Other (please elaborate)

7 41.18%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Modify a VMII or get a new holster made?

Senior Moderator

Modify a VMII or get a new holster made?

Here's the deal. I love my VMII for for my Glock 19/26. I find myself carrying in that holster over all of the other millions I have available to me.

However, I am a skinny, bony woman and extended wear starts to REALLY hurt my hip. I do not have this problem with OWB holsters because they aren't putting so much pressure on my hip. But with IWB's, if I loosen my belt then there isn't enough tension on the holster to draw properly but I desperately need some padding between the holster and my skin and bones as I have (and do) get bruised from long-term wear.

I've decided one of the best ways to go would be to add some lamb's wool to the backside of the IWB holster.

Wool is naturally moisture resistant as well as resistant to mold and fungus and I'm not a big "sweater" so I don't think I have to worry about that. Not to mention, lamb's wool is SUPER soft and very fluffy/cushiony.

If anyone has any better "cushioning" that would be against skin I'd be very willing to hear about it.

However, I know that the VMIIs are some awesome holsters and if I modified it and didn't like the results I'd be effectively killing a very expensive and beautiful holster.

Should I try to find a holster maker who is willing to make me a custom IWB with a cushioned backing or go ahead and mod my VMII?

2. Remove Ads

I have boney hips myself and a bellyband positioned in the right spot does the trick for me. It's the only way I carry a G19/G23/G26 iwb. Inexpensive and very versatile. If you don't have one already, i'd give that a try first. Good luck.
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

VIP Member
    This is the guy I call when I have questions like this. He knows anatomy, and he knows holsters. Contact Us for Your Custom Holsters
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Senior Moderator
    Yes, I've tried both belly bands and appendix carry.. Do not have the body type for it. I have to carry behind the hip.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Yes, I've tried both belly bands and appendix carry.. Do not have the body type for it. I have to carry behind the hip.
    Lima, if it is behind your hip how is it bruising your hip? Maybe less holster is what you need and that's why I suggested the bellyband because it eliminates bulk that can cause irritation. Something else to think about is cant. For me too much cant causes irritation around the hip even with owb holsters.
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Luis50 View Post
    Lima, if it is behind your hip how is it bruising your hip? Maybe less holster is what you need and that's why I suggested the bellyband because it eliminates bulk that can cause irritation. Something else to think about is cant. For me too much cant causes irritation around the hip even with owb holsters.
    I could write a three page dissertation on the mechanics of my body but I'm sick (literally... like coughing and hacking sick) and tired from just finishing driving 350 miles with two kids under the age of 4.

I've also worn, tried, reviewed and carried the widest variety of firearms and holsters conceivable. Again, I could write three books on what I like about each system and gun and what I don't like but I'll just settle with saying this...

I like the Glock and I like where I carry my gun for many many many reasons. The one thing I do not like and that makes it uncomfortable is the lack of padding between my hip bones and the holster. I want some extra padding there and I'm 99.8% sure that will cure all that ails me with what and the way I carry my firearm. So I'm looking for advice to that end.

Should I attempt to put some padding on my current, expensive holster or have a custom holster made or is there, per chance, an option I have not thought of that does not include trying another holster system (outside of another IWB) and/or gun?

Senior Moderator
    PS. I sincerely apologize if that sounded snarky... I'm not my usual peppy self at this moment.

VIP Member
    Quick question, Lima. You mentioned you carry both a 19 and a 26 in Sparks holsters. Is the snap-to-snap distance the same on both holsters, or is the 26 a bit smaller?
    Tuco

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Quick question, Lima. You mentioned you carry both a 19 and a 26 in Sparks holsters. Is the snap-to-snap distance the same on both holsters, or is the 26 a bit smaller?
    I carry them in the same holster.. lol.. The holster is made for a 19 but, of course, the only difference is that the 26 has a little shorter of a barrel so it fits well in the 19 holster.

VIP Member
    Look at it this way. The holster is uncomfortable as is, and it sounds like you intend to change one way or another. Go ahead and modify the Sparks.

Before doing that, though, I might give them a call. You can't be the first person to have this problem. They might have a solution you haven't considered.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I carry them in the same holster.. lol.. The holster is made for a 19 but, of course, the only difference is that the 26 has a little shorter of a barrel so it fits well in the 19 holster.
    A possibility I had not considered, but one which makes perfect sense. Could you measure the distance between the snaps, center to center?
    Tuco

Just get some sheep fur at the auto store and b4 u start changing things put the padding btwn u and the holster to see if it will do the fit for u.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

VIP Member
    I'm thinking anything which adds thickness to the holster adds to the problem.
    Tuco

Go to the drug store and get some $2 moleskin and apply it to the back of your VMII. I do this to all my holsters.If you don't like it you can remove it with a q-tip, adhesive remover and some patience and you won't hurt the finish on your Milt Sparks.Not only does it add comfyness but it also keeps it from shifting.
    OD* likes this.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I would not try to mod the VM2. They are expensive and sell on e-bay used for new prices. I would have something made. I think part of the problem may be the steel that they use to reinforce the throat of the holster. It adds thickness and a lot of stiffness. Don't get me wrong it is a great holster, but not all holsters can be all things to all people. I would think it would be pretty easy to find a maker who would make something like a VM2 with lambs wool on the back. Or you might try a different holster all together. Have you tried the cross breed type? Also not for everybody, but the flatness of the back of that type of holster may work well for you. I think I saw somebody making that type of holster in all leather too if you don't like Kydex. I don't want to come off like I am trying to sell you something, and modding the VM2 may work, but if it doesn't you will have ruined the resale value.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links