My Theis holster came in!

This is a discussion on My Theis holster came in! within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think you made the right choice, you will get use to it and find the right spot that is the best for you, then ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: My Theis holster came in!

I think you made the right choice, you will get use to it and find the right spot that is the best for you, then practice your draw.
    US Navy Veteren
    Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

2. Remove Ads

I wear a crossbreed which is similar to yours..I put the holster on my pants before I put them on. Makes it a little easier to install. I wear mine at about 3:30 seems to hide nicely with a loose shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by rednichols View Post
    Jeez; what I meant was, nice curves -- and all holster designers are straight. More than that I will not say
    Oh, sheesh...lol I have a lot more curves down below than my video game counterpart. I thought maybe you noticed that we were both girls with olive skin. Anyway, moving right along...
    Proud owner of a Sig Sauer P238 SAS Explosive Space Modulator.

"I played the powerless in too many dark scenes. And I was blessed with a birth and a death, and I guess I just want some say in between." - Ani DiFranco, "Talk to me Now."

I have a Tommy Theis for an XDs that I like. It has worked well and serves its purpose. Very comfortable. I like that Sig P238, have you had good luck with that? This pistol is next on my list.

Very nice holster and you conceal it well! As said above any position that YOU feel is comfortable is the way I would wear it. Practice practice practice and get comfortable drawing from that position. I am currently in the market for a IWB CC holster and Theis was on my list of holsters that I am looking into. Very nice quality holster on a very nice model for the holster! :P Also HI ORANGE CAT!

Forgot to ask... what was the wait for the holster?
    thanks
    -jared

@rockymax: the Sig is very new to me, I've shot about 125 rounds through it with only one FTF that I think was user error and not the gun. Shoots like a dream. Very small and concealable and puuurty.

@fail_187: I got the Theis in about 2 weeks.

"I played the powerless in too many dark scenes. And I was blessed with a birth and a death, and I guess I just want some say in between." - Ani DiFranco, "Talk to me Now."

I like your cat. Very well concealed unless you bend forward. Add a light cardigan to this and you are 100% hidden all the time. Excellent.
    LaraCroft10 likes this.
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

Good looking tabby cat. Mine is 13 1/2. It looks like you might have ha hard time reaching the sig that far back.

Re: My Theis holster came in!

I have a similar body shape as you and I'm carrying an LCP in a Crossbreed...I have found it works better just slightly more towards my hip, about 4:30-5:00 I'd say. How does it poke out when you bend forward? That's how I help find the right spot for mine. Maybe try putting the rear clip just on the other side of your belt loop, I have trouble with the clips and belt loops on certain pants also. I also picked up a Remora holster to help with certain outfits, no clips to get in the way, girls need options ;).
    LaraCroft10 likes this.

I'm trying to figure out the mirror effect....looking directly at your back it appears that you're wearing your right-handed holster favoring a left hand draw. In other words, you'd have to reach past your middle back belt loop to reach your pistol. Surely, though, that is the result of the mirror.

Since you asked for advice, I'll stick my oar in: I would keep thinking about alternatives. I would be concerned about some things:

...single action pistol with a safety: if that safety gets switched off in some way, it wouldn't take much to produce an AD, and small pistols with small controls are more likely to have problems than larger pistols with larger controls. Problem exacerbated by new pistols with stiff controls, or lack of familiarity with the pistol, or lack of practice, or poor/varying grip on the gun, etc.

...pistol pointed at your spine: an AD can result in wide ranging outcomes, from "Oh, am I embarrassed!" to paralysis, death, injury to others. Your pistol carried in this position is likely to hurt you badly if it goes off during holstering/re-holstering

...pistol difficult to holster/re-holster due to positioning increases risk of an AD

One way to think about it might be this: you're more likely to have an accident driving a sports car than mini van. You're more likely to have an accident driving fast than driving slow. You're more likely to have an accident on an icy road than on dry pavement. But driving a sports car at high speed on an icy road can get pretty close to producing a guaranteed accident, because you have compounded the risk factors. That's what your carry method looks like to me.

I would love to use "appendix carry" as my every day carry method because the gun can be hidden better, presented faster and fired more accurately, and is protected better from someone trying to snatch it, than any other method (IMO). I don't, because I don't want a gun pointed at my femoral artery. Instead, I carry it behind my right hip because it's safer. Also, I don't carry pistols with safeties very often. I have owned 1911's for 40 years or better and I love to shoot them. I don't carry them because I don't trust even well done safeties not to accidentally "turn themselves off", and I can't see the point in carrying a 1911 that's not cocked and locked. Carrying a concealed pistol forces you to compromise in the areas of speed, comfort, security of the weapon so it can't be taken away from you and the level of concealment. I do not believe that anyone should ever compromise safety.

Just my nickel's worth, and many will disagree. Luck to you.

The mirror shot threw me off as well. I like the design of those style of holsters. Had a crossbreed that I really liked. It will adjust to your body shape with time. They are nothing to look at but quite functional. Wear it a lot, even when you aren't carrying (remembering your post the other day). What is nice about the kydex is that it will not change shape even if you do not have the fun in it. When I wasn't carrying for whatever reason, I would still wear the holster. That system makes it much more comfortable to wear once you are carrying all of the time.

As someone posted, put the holster on first, then put your pants on. This makes it easier and you do not have to try and slip on the holster. Once it is on and you are dressed, you can slide the holster to a more comfy position. I carry a little closer to my hip around 4:00.

Cute cat, want another one???
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Yes, that's the mirror - it's on my right side for a right-hand draw.

I actually have been shifting it closer to 4:00; as the holster has been molding to my body, it no longer sticks out quite as much this way, and it seems to be only that pair of pants that I had the issue with the belt loops being in the way. So it's getting better.

...single action pistol with a safety: if that safety gets switched off in some way, it wouldn't take much to produce an AD, and small pistols with small controls are more likely to have problems than larger pistols with larger controls. Problem exacerbated by new pistols with stiff controls, or lack of familiarity with the pistol, or lack of practice, or poor/varying grip on the gun, etc.
    Is this regarding the holster, or just your personal discomfort with the gun itself? Well, I bought it, so that's not going to change. The Kydex covers both the trigger and the safety. Lots and lots of people safely carry single actions with an external safety (in good holsters, of course), and I understand it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I've come to terms with it and understand the vigilance that is required of me to keep it safe.

I'm not interested in appendix carry because it doesn't conceal as well, and the gun gets pushed around a lot more when I sit and move around, and it just doesn't feel safe to me. I think I want to stick with behind the hip.

@BigJon: nope, my two fat furbutts are enough for me.

Thanks, y'all.

[QUOTE=hardscrabble;2434646]I would love to use "appendix carry" as my every day carry method because the gun can be hidden better, presented faster and fired more accurately, and is protected better from someone trying to snatch it, than any other method (IMO). I don't, because I don't want a gun pointed at my femoral artery. Instead, I carry it behind my right hip because it's safer. Also, I don't carry pistols with safeties very often. I have owned 1911's for 40 years or better and I love to shoot them. I don't carry them because I don't trust even well done safeties not to accidentally "turn themselves off", and I can't see the point in carrying a 1911 that's not cocked and locked. Carrying a concealed pistol forces you to compromise in the areas of speed, comfort, security of the weapon so it can't be taken away from you and the level of concealment. I do not believe that anyone should ever compromise safety.QUOTE]

Agree with all that, about appendix carry; and have said it myself. But as for the rest of it, about the SOB carry (which FORCED me to have another look at LaraCroftIsA10's bathroom pics), both seated and standing the muzzle is pointed away from her. The risk, as always, is during the draw and the pro shooters on the competition circuit will remind that the pistol muzzle must sweep away, not toward the body in case of an a/d (which is common enough for them, so they know more than we).

That was my concern, Red. I can't see how the gun can be drawn safely when OP has to reach so far into the SOB. The wrist geometry forces the muzzle back towards her body and sweeps her spine before clearing her hip. Attempting a complicated draw motion like this with one of those little Sigs that has one of those little bitty safeties seems to create more risks than it offsets (the risk of an accident approaches the level of risk that you will ever use the gun in a defense situation).

LC, I wasn't at all suggesting you try appendix carry (I don't), nor was I suggesting a new pistol. I'm sorry I didn't explain it better. There are a number of compromises that are forced on us, and you have to start somewhere. You own a small pistol and you don't intend to compromise by buying another. My point is this: if you are going to carry a smallish pistol that has controls that can be tricky to manipulate, you might have to compromise and carry it in the position where it is easiest to access.

By all means carry your Sig, just think about whether you want to carry it in a manner that forces you to compromise your safety every time you have to touch it. From your last post, it appears you have already moved your holster around away from the SOB, which is a better compromise, IMO.

BTW, I just read your response from a day or two ago in the "don't let your ego get in the way" post...it was thoughtful and thought provoking, and I'm going to be thinking about that point of view and how it relates to my wife and my (grown) daughter. Thank you.
    Last edited by hardscrabble; October 30th, 2012 at 08:58 AM. Reason: new thought

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links