My Theis holster came in!

This is a discussion on My Theis holster came in! within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; And I'm already in loooove! I got the horsehide hybrid holster for the Sig P238. It's a lot smaller than I thought it would be, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: My Theis holster came in!

And I'm already in loooove!

I got the horsehide hybrid holster for the Sig P238. It's a lot smaller than I thought it would be, and thinner. But still durable. I was most surprised at how COMFORTABLE it is! Once I got it on, I barely noticed it was there. I thought it was going to feel like a piece of plastic lodged into my hip, but it was awesome. I wore it for a very short amount of time, and when I took it off, I noticed it was already molding to my body's shape.

I had to adjust one of the clips so the cant didn't jut forward so much, and it conceals so much better. I'm wearing it at about 5:00. I'm very happy how close everything sits to the body. I got the kydex clips because I had heard about the metal ones snagging, and I'm not completely sold on them. They seem flimsy. Luckily there's a lifetime warranty, so if it breaks with normal use, he'll replace it.

It's a little difficult to draw, but I'm hoping that's user error and that ease in drawing will come with time and practice.

Pictures to come of it on, when I decide to wrestle putting that thing on again....that's another thing that I hope will get easier with repetition!
    Last edited by LaraCroft10; October 26th, 2012 at 09:39 AM.
    Proud owner of a Sig Sauer P238 SAS Explosive Space Modulator.

"I played the powerless in too many dark scenes. And I was blessed with a birth and a death, and I guess I just want some say in between." - Ani DiFranco, "Talk to me Now."

2. Remove Ads

Drawing will get easier as the holster breaks in.

If you like the way a holster fits right out of the box - you'll probably really love it after a few weeks of wearing it!

"...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

Pictures

Alright, here is a series of photos of me with it on.
    For reference: 5'3" 135lb.
    IMG028.jpgIMG035.jpgIMG037.jpgIMG039.jpgIMG042.jpgIMG046.jpg

Apologies for the blurriness, and the major awkwardness of trying to take a picture over my shoulder in a bathroom mirror. Also, say hello to Orange Cat. He is a ham.

Question: is it too far back? If I want to adjust it to be any closer to my hip, the clips get right on top of my belt loops and won't attach well. If I take it to the other side of the belt loops, it's in a completely different position and sticks out awkwardly. This way seems to fit really well into the small of my back, and is hidden well by my big butt. And I don't have a hard time reaching back there and drawing. But I've heard people talk about not liking to carry back there because of the danger of an accidental misfire hitting the spine. I know that's regarding right in the center of the back, but I didn't know if this was too close. The gun is angled toward my spine, but I think that it is such that it would miss anything vital. Maybe hit my coccyx. But would miss my sacrum/spinal cord.

What do you think?
    fail_187, _Hawkeye_ and cash like this.

"I played the powerless in too many dark scenes. And I was blessed with a birth and a death, and I guess I just want some say in between." - Ani DiFranco, "Talk to me Now."

I love mine. I don't wear it quite as far back as you but if that works and you practice drawing from there then you should be fine. I keep mine at about 4 o'clock. maybe a little past. it looks like the back clip didn't quite make it over your belt in one of the pics. my only gripe with the holster is that it's a bit of a production to put on.

Oh, yep, you're right. It's hard to twist around to get that clip on all the way (not to mention I can't see back to that clip, only feel), and they aren't exactly the easiest to manipulate. I'm glad it's not just me that has to fight with it a little bit to get it on.

If you can reach and draw from that position fine, go for it. It conceals perfectly there for ya, too. Curves are gun totin' girls' best friend. I have a P238 as well, and a similar figure, but I haven't found my sweet spot yet. I just wear at 3:30 since it's cooler out now, and my sweatshirts conceal anything. Your blouse's pattern camoflages the gun well, too.

On another note, the picture with your cat, it looks like the safety is off. Please make sure to teach your cat gun safety ;)
    LaraCroft10 likes this.

It was 86 degrees today, so no winter wear for me yet! Hopefully it's coming soon.

Also, yes, Orange Cat is negligent, he was curiously peeking down the barrel and everything...

(Er, hopefully it goes without saying, but just to reassure, the gun was unloaded!)
    MamaMaria likes this.

[QUOTE=LaraCroft10;2431481
    What do you think?[/QUOTE]

What do I think? I think you've chosen the right avatar
    FoggyGoggles likes this.
    Red (Richard) Nichols

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    Looks good product wise and SOB takes some getting used to that is for sure. Did it with my Sig and now im back to paddle.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

NCG
    Nice looking holster. Curious to hear what you think about it after a little time. I recently bought a p238 (I'm not sure if it was for me or my wife the way she has taken it over) and I'm looking for a holster for it.

Quote Originally Posted by rednichols View Post
    What do I think? I think you've chosen the right avatar
    Ha! Well, I have it worn up here, but I actually have long dark hair, and when I was a child I'd always wear it in a long braid down my back (and whip it around and hit the ornery boys with it), and that nickname caught on. I figured it was an appropriate moniker for a gun site.
    Last edited by LaraCroft10; October 26th, 2012 at 11:13 AM.

Lead Moderator
    Some of the concern with 6 oclock carry was falling on the gun causing a spinal injury.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    That is concealing very well, it looks great. I'm with the above posters: try it where it feels good, and eventually you'll adjust it a little bit hither and yon until it's perfect for you.

MamaMaria pointed out the camouflage provided by the top; I had not realized before now that women may have a concealment advantage over men. I'd look pretty silly in that top.
    LaraCroft10 likes this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Bigmacque, I'm sure you'd look dashing in floral.
    bigmacque likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LaraCroft10 View Post
    I figured it was an appropriate moniker for a gun site.
    Jeez; what I meant was, nice curves -- and all holster designers are straight. More than that I will not say
    FoggyGoggles likes this.
    Red (Richard) Nichols

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links