We can learn from even the newbies

This is a discussion on We can learn from even the newbies within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This will surprise you. Here's a pic of a major "boutique" maker's holster. It's a slide, a kind of half-pancake, and the cut and moulding ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 6 Post By rednichols

Thread: We can learn from even the newbies

We can learn from even the newbies

This will surprise you. Here's a pic of a major "boutique" maker's holster. It's a slide, a kind of half-pancake, and the cut and moulding look v good from the front.

looks good (1).JPG

But a look at the back reveals something's not quite right, because the maker has made an assumption about the holster type: that the back should be the same size as the front, and big gaps have appeared on either side of the pistol --

looks good (2).JPG

OK, here's a maker (on eBay) who doesn't even put his name on his product so I'm going to call him a "newbie", though I mean no disrespect. And I say "no disrespect" because have a look at the back of his holster:

this is better (2).JPG

Dead flat. You can see why when you look at the front of the holster:

this is better (1).JPG

The front and rear panels are different sizes; the rear is smaller, so the front can shape away from the person's body.

So? you ask. So the first holster will cause the belt to snake along the back of the holster and pull either slot hard against the body, and the pistol even harder; and the "pocket" will squeeze shut when the pistol is out. In other words, uncomfortable, and the "adjustable tension" is your belt buckle!

The second holster allows the belt to lay flat along the rear of the holster, and the "pocket" is unaffected by the belt tightness, and the hard pistol is not being winched against your pelvis.

Look for this on your current supply of pancake style holsters, or your future purchases. It reveals that some very big assumptions are being made by our "boutique" players, that even a mass-maker like Galco or Aker doesn't make. And, yes, likely the "newbie" copied the Galco.

2. Remove Ads

Like always, fantastic advice. I'm a newbie to handguns and carrying myself. The knowledge you've shared is invaluable to anyone new to the world of holsters. There's so much out there, it spins my head. I too often assume $$$=quality. Sometimes that's true, many times it's not. The advice you give has helped me know what quality looks like and what to look out for. I worked hard to afford the "best," and now I now what that is (and ended up getting a holster and mag pouch for the price I was intending to spend on a holster alone). Thank you Red!

And good grief that stitch line is tight to the mold on that second one. Something I'm currently working on doing better. I'm kicking around an idea that I think will get my backs flatter and help me be able to get a better stitch line. This might just push me in that direction a little harder. Gotta wait on some new leather to get here though.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    And good grief that stitch line is tight to the mold on that second one. Something I'm currently working on doing better. I'm kicking around an idea that I think will get my backs flatter and help me be able to get a better stitch line. This might just push me in that direction a little harder. Gotta wait on some new leather to get here though.
    It's the oversized front that makes that possible, Jason (both the close stitchline and the flat back)

Quote Originally Posted by rednichols View Post
    It's the oversized front that makes that possible, Jason (both the close stitchline and the flat back)
    Yeah. I wonder if the way I do my leather/kydex hybrids would transfer to leather? Hmmmm. That's an idea. Pre form the front. Might be worth tinkering around with. If I formed it and heat dried it that would give me a stiff leather front to work with. My wife needs a new holster anyway. It's as good a place as any to start. Might be tougher to use the stitching pony. Might also be worth the aggravation in the end too. Got me thinking, and that usually gets me in trouble.

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    Yeah. I wonder if the way I do my leather/kydex hybrids would transfer to leather? Hmmmm. That's an idea. Pre form the front. Might be worth tinkering around with. If I formed it and heat dried it that would give me a stiff leather front to work with.
    Sure. And then, by using leather, you'll have completed the reinvention of the Roaring 20's holsters; this is from a 1928 catalogue

1928 redhead.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by rednichols View Post
    So? you ask. So the first holster will cause the belt to snake along the back of the holster and pull either slot hard against the body, and the pistol even harder; and the "pocket" will squeeze shut when the pistol is out. In other words, uncomfortable, and the "adjustable tension" is your belt buckle!
    ... making it tougher to reholster, yes?

I've noticed this effect on several of the holsters I have, but haven't noodled out the reasons why.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Once again there is nothing new under the sun. Just stuff I didn't know. What the hey, since I'm using a dye method that's over 300 years old, might as well use a 100 year old design too.

OH, yeah. I'm gonna have to keep tinkering with this idea. My wife needs a new holster and I'm going to finish working this out then. Just some scrap under my work table. Thanks for pointing me in this direction Red. The mold is just as tight and I feel like I did half the work doing it.

You've discovered the magic, Jason; well done. Leave your holsters open muzzle, too, and you'll eliminate all the problems associated with making those 2 x 4s (like Glocks) fit all the way down into the holster.

Thanks. But you should have seen me wailing on that g26 blue gun trying to get it into a pancake holster. Beat on the muzzle end, beat on the rear of the slide, nearly threw it in the trash. It's a tight fit, that's for sure. But man, what a headache.

So who makes a good, inexpensive Kahr P380 belt slide holster?
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special
    Walther P22 - LMT STD 16
    Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
    Mossberg 500B - Marlin 336Y

Links