ATTN: Skinny guys and Leather Makers

This is a discussion on ATTN: Skinny guys and Leather Makers within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been through a about 5 holsters, and I simply can NOT find a holster that conceals exceptionally well on my body style. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATTN: Skinny guys and Leather Makers

Question ATTN: Skinny guys and Leather Makers

I have been through a about 5 holsters, and I simply can NOT find a holster that conceals exceptionally well on my body style. I have tried a Desantis Inner Peice holster, a Desantis Tuck-This, a paddle holster (sucks), a no-name temporary holster when I got my CCW that I bought for 5$- (does okay w/ appendix carry), and a belly band. So far, only the belly band has been feasable in just about every situation. The Inner Peice adds about an inch to the actual gun thickness in my waistband, and the Tuck-This pretty much sucks too, as the angles on it arent correct for me somehow. I am 6'1" and about 155-160lbs. I have found that if I put a gun on my hip IWB, being as skinny as I am, looks like I have a brick (or an enormous tumor) under my belt on one side of my pants. I really like the bellyband, and maybe... that IS the holster for me? The only success I have had is w/ appendix and BellyBand.

A little info on my style of clothing:
    Work- jeans and tucked in shirt.
    Casual - from Jeans and a Tshirt, to cargo shorts with a tshirt, to a collared "Polo" shirt.. pretty casual, USUALLY not tucked in when Im doing the casual thing.

Gun in question-Glock 27

God forbid should I decide to carry a commander or fullsize weapon.. I would be made all over the place. I really need more input from others. So if you are a skinny individual, or a leather maker- what have you personally used or made that turned out very well for you (or others)? Or- what do you suggest trying next? I really do not want the legendary 'box-o-holsters'. I wear the B.Band everyday for any occasion and it seems to conceal pretty well vs. any other type of holster I have tried. If you have any questions about my habits or dress.. whatever; ask it. Your comments and suggestions are appreciated, because I feel like I'm running out of ideas.

(((If any of you need a holster for a Glock 26,27,29,30 or 33, I will be putting the holsters up today hopefully sometime- TRIED ON ONLY , never "used" or worn out in public)))
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

2. Remove Ads

(ADDED TO ORIGINAL POST)

For the Bellyband, EVERYDAY I wear either my weapon at 3 or 9 o'clock. Cross or strong. (Im right handed). It conceals really well in this position.

I have NOT tried ANY OWB holsters. ONLY IWB and I believe (at least for now) that OWB wouldn't hold the weapon as close as IWB, and SURELY not as close as the belly band.

(ADDED again) I keep thinking of things, before any of you suggest a good gunbelt, I already have one. Several. Couple diff width Wilderness Tactical 5 stitch belts, couple of leather GA gun belts, etc..
    Last edited by floridaguy911; October 3rd, 2006 at 03:02 PM.
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

Holsters

I carry a SIG 226 or a fullsize 1911 OWB under tshirts wearing jeans all the time.

A lot of it depends upon the design of the holster, mine that I wear are high ride, FBI cant, and pull the grip of the weapon in to the body.

And I am not skinny............

Being skinny you can adjust your dress more so that you can cover a a larger pistol than say some of us that are "larger"

I also make IWB versions of some of my holsters that do the same thing.
    Ranger Gunleather

If light rails were needed on handguns John Browning would have included it on the 1911.

Try http://www.tuckergunleather.com Look for their IWB Tuckable model. If you are wearing your gun at exactly 3:00 you are going to get a buldge no matter what. Try 4:00, just behind your hip. I don't know Glocks so I don't know how big the model is you carry. I carry either a Kahr Arms P9 or a full size Springfield 1911 A1. The P9 is, IMHO, the best designed gun for CC. You may have to change firearms for best results. Some guns are just not made for easy concealment.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Assistant Administrator
    I believe (at least for now) that OWB wouldn't hold the weapon as close as IWB
    I tend to disagree, in as much as my Defender rig with the 226 holds super tight. probably only significant difference is that holster lower portion would be in view if inadequate cover length.

Of course - having a suitable outer garment is everything - long enough and full enough.

Here is rear view and front view of my set-up - albeit too with an older belt which is now replaced. Just quick shots my wife took to help show things. You may have seen these before too.

Oh and note also - even now with my newer belt, I still do not cinch fully tight - it is more comfortable and still keeps things tight in.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Tuckables are difficult

Although the idea of a tuckable holster is a good one, in actual practice they usually result in a "bump" that gives away your situation. And your Glock 27 is certainly not a big gun, and normally a good choice for concealment.

If the bellyband works you can certainly stick with that. I have never found a bellyband comfortable, but maybe you have become used to it.

My only two suggestions are to replace the G27 with a thinner gun, such as the Kahr P9 or P40. Here is a shot showing the relative thickness of a Kahr P9 vs. a G26, to give you an idea of what you could pick up in reduced thickness:

And of course if there is any way you can wear your shirt untucked, or wear another cover garment like a jacket or vest, it would help solve the problem. Pocket carry or ankle carry of a really small gun might also work.

Have you tried any of the thin, front & rear loop IWBs like Brommeland's Max-Con V, Larsen's Com III, Spark's Versa-max or Watch 6, or my In-Cognito??
    Most guys that try that style never go back to anything else.
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
    www.garritysgunleather.com

I'm your same basic dimensions: 6' and 160 lbs. I've tried several of the top names' IWB holsters and just cannot carry IWB. At first, I thought it was the holsters, then I realized that I just do not have enough "meat" on my bones to carry comfortably that way. IWB means you need to "snug" the rig closely to you hips (I carry in the 4 o'clock position), and that means pain for me.

At first I thought it was just me, but then I read a comment from a holster maker on another forum and realized it was more widespread. I run and cycle quite a bit and simply do not have the "padding" to hold something so closely to my bones. I carry a Kahr PM9 so it's not like I'm trying to conceal anything thick--it's just that there is no natural padding anywhere around my waist.

On the other hand, I feel as though I were made for OWB. Being thin, I could carry some really large sidearms outside the belt and they wouldn't show at all. Spring, summer and fall I wear an untucked print-cotton shirt. I've got a lot of room between the fall-line of my shirt (straight down from my armpit) and my waist. A Desert Eagle would conceal without problem.

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Ill agree with the last two posts...Mark raises a great point. The Offset loops design like his Incogneto is gonna make all of the difference in the world.

Also...KEEP IT THIN...the thinner it is the more flexible/thus comfy it will be also. No reinforced mouths....just to thin pcs of leather holding your gun and I think youll be surprised.

But some people just cant do it....its the way the world works.

Shoot well and god bless
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Lead Moderator
    Perhaps a kydex IWB rig might work. Try blousing your tucked in cover shirt too. It helps to conceal the bulge. Also, most will not notice a bulge if the gun is concealed.
    Finally, I find my 1911 SA conceals much easier than the PT140 I owned or the HK USP F I own.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Garrity View Post
    Have you tried any of the thin, front & rear loop IWBs like Brommeland's Max-Con V, Larsen's Com III, Spark's Versa-max or Watch 6, or my In-Cognito??
    That's for sure, I'll never use anything but the In-cognito or Spark's WS/VMII style again. The watch six from sparks is, I think the thinnest leather holster available, might be worth a look. Try lightning arms for in-stock stuff.
    The G27 is also a thick gun, I'm not real skinny but I even have a bulge sometimes with my G26.

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Garrity View Post
    And I'd like to add Sam Andrews McDanial II to the above list of fine holsters. The above holsters are great as they are very comfortable,and spread the profile out. The rear loop McDanials II jacks the grip in close and is very comfortable also. Wearing any of the above holsters at around 3:30 to 4:00 you should be good to go with just minimal cover.

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Chris is right in stating that a well designed OWB will pull the butt in close. Get the cant right for you and the pistol this makes all the difference in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by floridaguy911 View Post
    ...I simply can NOT find a holster that conceals exceptionally well on my body style. So far, only the belly band has been feasable in just about every situation. The Inner Piece adds about an inch to the actual gun thickness in my waistband, and the Tuck-This pretty much sucks too, as the angles on it arent correct for me somehow. I am 6'1" and about 155-160lbs. I have found that if I put a gun on my hip IWB, being as skinny as I am, looks like I have a brick (or an enormous tumor) under my belt on one side of my pants.
    I second the suggestion that you try the IWB tuckable holster from www.tuckergunleather.com -- in particular, I recommend getting it with the Velcro belt attachments. (The website claims you need a belt with matching velcro sewn onto it, but that's not true. Velcro with an adhesive backing will stick to a gunbelt just fine.)

Reasons why this holster should minimize the belt lump:

(1) There is nothing added to the thickness of the gun except for the two sides of the holster body, one side of which is a thin sheet of form-fitted kydex. (The inner side is leather, so the rig is comfortable.) The two belt attachments are fore-and-aft of the gun, so they don't add any bulge whatsoever at the thickest point.

(2) The belt attachments fore-and-after of the gun help smooth out the lump by tapering the rig's thickness gradually.

(3) When you attach the matching velcro to the belt, you can attach the velcro everywhere _except_ directly over the thickest part of the gun (the belt velcro only has to cover the fore-and-aft velcro'ed belt attachments). This will further smooth out the belt lump.

A flatter gun, such as the HK P7 PSP, the Kahr, or the single-stack 3rd generation S&W will also help. Another option is a 1911 that combines the Officer's Model frame with the Commander Model slide. Honestly, I know the police market is important, but the flatter single-stack pistols are better for carrying concealed.

I'm skinny (29-30" waist, 5'11", 170 lbs, 39-40" chest). I wear a kramer forward-canted horsehide OWB pancake, all day every day for work. If I'm not wearing a cover garment, but instead have my polo or T untucked over my waist, I'm sometimes asked why I'm not wearing my weapon at work...when I've actually got it, a dual mag pouch, baton, handcuffs, and maybe a flashlight on my belt, and I don't wear really big, sloppy stuff. My polos are size M.

So I'll toss out another endorsement of OWB. Just make sure you get a top-quality one and an equivalent belt.

AX

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links