Cane & Derby PIC (Practical Internal Carry) System Kydex Holster

This is a discussion on Cane & Derby PIC (Practical Internal Carry) System Kydex Holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just purchased the Cane & Derby PIC (Practical Internal Carry) System Kydex Holster from their website. Cane and Derby PIC System Kydex Holster from ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Herknav
  • 1 Post By RonCo
  • 1 Post By zacii
  • 2 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By tmoore912

Thread: Cane & Derby PIC (Practical Internal Carry) System Kydex Holster

I just purchased the Cane & Derby PIC (Practical Internal Carry) System Kydex Holster from their website.

Cane and Derby PIC System Kydex Holster from Cane and Derby (CDI)

Cane&Derby PIC.jpg

I've been carrying appendix for quite sometime now in a High Noon "Mr. Softy" and have become sold on the position. I can carry my Glock 19 in just a t-shirt and shorts without anyone being the wiser.

The Mr. Softy is a low profile holster and doesn't offer a full "combat grip" on the pistol. The low profile aspect is great for concealability, but requires that you essentially have to dig the pistol out during the draw.

Many people offer the higher riding appendix holsters, including High Noon. However, what sold me on the Cane & Derby was the "handle tucking" design that holds the pistol at a slight angle tucking the butt of the handle into your body offering more concealment.

I was also eyeing the CCC (Concealed Carry Concepts) Shaggy which is very similar, but they can't seem to reliably keep their product in stock.

Anyone have any experience with this holster, or ones similar?

I'm glad you like your holster, although I think the name is a little odd. When I hear "internal carry", this is what comes to mind: Cops Believe North Carolina Inmate Hid 10-Inch Revolver In His Rectum. Luckily, It Was Unloaded. | The Smoking Gun
    RonCo likes this.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Re: Cane & Derby PIC (Practical Internal Carry) System Kydex Holster

I'd like to know more about this holster and how it performs. I looked at that holster a good amount before buying an archangel. I knew from reviews I'd read that the archangel is a winner. However if the cane and derby grip tucking setup works well, I'd probably give one a try.

sent via iCarry

msc8127 I'll post a review once it arrives and I've been able to put it through some travel and range time.
    msc8127 likes this.

I ordered one of these too - back on Oct 19th. No contact from them at all yet - I usually wait about a month and then send a polite email for these kinds of things.

Currently I'm carrying with a Dale Fricke Archangel - it isn't a bad holster, but it doesn't conceal optimally. It's comfortable, and keeps the trigger covered and the gun in place though.

I also ordered a Custom Carry Concepts holster - I selected "custom holster" since I had some details/changes, but basically I ordered a Shaggy. The way he has the website set up, they are taking orders every Monday - I think 10 "in stock" for each model - and once they are sold, they don't appear as "in stock" again until the next week. This was done to help prevent the huge backlog of orders that was piling up.

Austin

I ordered from Cane and Derby, once.

After a couple months of no communication, I cancelled the order.

Hope it works out for ya; looking forward to a hands-on review.
    aus71383 likes this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I won't let it go that long - but eventually they have to make a holster for someone.....right?

Austin

I'm not sure what has happened to Cane & Derby. Back when they first started up, I bought a holster from them. Communication was great. Delivery was a little late, but they called me on the phone to let me know about the delay (it took about three weeks instead of the one week they initially quoted) and were very apologetic. Lately I am hearing lots of reports about lack of communication and non-delivery. It also looks like their website hasn't been updated in quite awhile.

It's definitely too bad, because the holster I bought from them is one of the best that I've seen.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

From what I understand this is pretty much the Gen. 2 for all of the Kydex AIWB rigs. I still conceal and love my Archangel, but am very interested in this holster and it's "lesson learned" approach to making it a better concealed carry rig. I've heard rumors that Dale Fricke is working on a new updated Archangel as well that also incorporates a "wedge" into the design to keep the grip in tight to the user's torso.

AIWB is my favorite CC position and I am looking forward to your thoughts on the PIC after using it for awhile.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    I'm glad you like your holster, although I think the name is a little odd. When I hear "internal carry", this is what comes to mind: Cops Believe North Carolina Inmate Hid 10-Inch Revolver In His Rectum. Luckily, It Was Unloaded. | The Smoking Gun
    Now there's a gun for that SHTF ocassion!
    Herknav and StarPD45 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I ordered a Pardus (their first Gen AIWB holster) last year when they hit the market. It took almost 4 months to get it, after multiple promises broken on a delivery date. I honestly think I would not have gotten it then, if I had not stayed in touch with them. Once I got the holster and wore it for several weeks, I sold it because it was not as comfortable as what I already had and didn't conceal as well. In my opinion C&D lost favor with the AIWB crowd when delivery dates stopped being meet, and you only got empty promises. I truly hope you get your holster in a timely fashion.

The CCC Shaggy is hard to get, because it is considered one of the very best AIWB holsters every designed for duty size weapons by a group of guys that take AIWB carry very seriously. The wedge that he designed into the holster to pull the grip into the stomach worked/works very well. The maker is a single individual who has a full time job other than making holsters. He has always been very upfront with his customers on his delivery times.

A great substitute for the Shaggy is the AIWB rig Tony Mayer makes at JM Custom Kydex. It has the grip tucking wedge designed into it, as well as a "extra tuck" buldge at the bottom of the holster to push the slide into the stomach more. I use this holster. I have two of them and both are designed for the G17 which then will also work with the compact and subcompact models.

Dark Star Gear is making a AIWB holster with a grip tucking feature. I have several friends that are using this holster with great success.

I still have a Dale Fricke Archangel as a back up holster incase my primary breaks, but it does not conceal as well as the holsters with the grip tucking ability.

The Keeper is the new secret in the AIWB world. His design is fabulous, and reviews are glowing from serious appendix carriers. His cost is just a little too much for me right now.

The cool thing now is that there are many more makers of quality AIWB holsters than there were when I started carrying that way in 2007. It's good to have choices. Good luck with your PIC.
    Last edited by tmoore912; November 4th, 2012 at 03:10 PM.
    aus71383 likes this.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

Just received the C&D PIC.

My first impressions are good... Quality materials and workmanship. The G19 snaps in like a glove and stays there. The ride height offers a true "combat grip", but I think that feature will in turn cause the gun to print more.

It may take some time to find the sweet spot.

I'll post a review with pics once I've put some miles on it.

C&D was on my short list for an appendix holster for my glock 19. After reading about wait, lack of communication I think I'll pass.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Thanks for the info on the Cane & Derby, both good and bad. I guess I am going to pass, my box that I keep my never used well recommended, latest state of the art holsters in is overflowing. My wife can justify her large number of shoes because she wears them on occasion, I can't, I never use any of the items in the box. I did put ten of the higher priced ones, $60 plus, on consignment at a local gun auction and they all sold for $20 or less plus I had to pay a 18% sellers fee.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Sponsored Links