Blackhawk Serpa Holster

This is a discussion on Blackhawk Serpa Holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; That was the first holster that I purchased for my G27 after my instructor recommended it and I have no regrets. I really like it ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Blackhawk Serpa Holster

That was the first holster that I purchased for my G27 after my instructor recommended it and I have no regrets. I really like it a lot, especially for OCing. I bought another one for my Beretta 96.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Hruk View Post
    its not a drawing of the gun issue. its if some sort of small object such as a rock gets in the release button the gun is stuck, or it the holster has wear and has wrapped at all you can press down on the gun and cause to fire as the locking bar is inside the trigger guard, and then there's the fact that at least glocks can be inserted backwards and get stuck. such as when you are doing offhand one handed drills
    Yes, there are many other issues with the SERPA beside the AD/ND thing.
    JD likes this.

Administrator
    Well, I'm best guessing that every hardened and savvy criminal fresh out Grey~Bar Institute is already very clued in on defeating the retention mechanism of the Blackhawk SERPA holster.
    If you like that exact style of holster then you might want to buy the same holster from Blackhawk minus the active retention feature & they still offer great passive retention.

Personally I feel that there are much better OWB concealment holsters available but, whatever works for you is OK with me.
    JD likes this.

NMB
    I carry my 1911 in one while fishing/hiking.

Solid holster.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

Blackhawk Serpa Holster

Quote Originally Posted by mwhartman View Post
    Here is a video from Paul Gomez that helped me with the release. Sadly, Paul recently passed. A huge loss to the firearm community, IMO.

Nothing against Mr Gomez since he ran a training facility and I don't... but I feel like adding steps to a process that will be done under stress in what could be a life or death situation is counterintuitive.

You basic draw already has 4 (index, draw, extend, sights) steps... Why add 2/3 more (index, 'index2', button, check, draw, extend, sights)? My safariland has 2 separate retention devices yet they can be actuated while utilizing a normal draw with a couple tweaks... My hand goes to an almost normal index but my thumb just does things in the process....

I did notice that the people he spoke of were issued the holsters. They don't really have a choice when we do. Groups don't ban stuff because of stupid people, they ban stuff because of dangerous and poorly engineered design. See: broken serpas in force on force training and the numerous ND/AD occurrences.

If that video shows the right way to draw from a Serpa holster, then this video must show the WRONG way to do it!

My first holster was a Blackhawk SERPA. My CHL instructor used one. I never had an issue with mine, as I learned to keep my finger straight. I don't use it now very much for concealed carry because I just like leather better! But I would have no qualms whatsoever using it if I were going to open carry out in the field. (Although open carry is legal in Ohio, I don't do it in city areas--to many anti gun idiots who call the police if they see a man with a gun!)
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Blackhawk Serpa Holster

I absolutely love mine as well. It's all preference.

No matter what holster we are talking about, GUNS ARE GUNS... Act accordingly. Safety should always prevail... Trigger finger, trigger finger, trigger finger!

Nothing against Mr Gomez since he ran a training facility and I don't... but I feel like adding steps to a process that will be done under stress in what could be a life or death situation is counterintuitive.

You basic draw already has 4 (index, draw, extend, sights) steps... Why add 2/3 more (index, 'index2', button, check, draw, extend, sights)? My safariland has 2 separate retention devices yet they can be actuated while utilizing a normal draw with a couple tweaks... My hand goes to an almost normal index but my thumb just does things in the process....
    The method shown in the Gomez video demonstrates an unnecessary step in drawing from a Serpa IMO. In my opinion the way to keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot is to keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.

There are a couple of reasons why I seldom use my Serpa holster but unsafe presentation isn't one of them. I don't consider the holster optimal for either retention or concealment but it will certainly work for me. A question I ask myself is; Do I actually need to use a retention holster anyway, and in most cases the answer is no. That's just me of course.

Blackhawk Serpa Holster

It all comes back to keeping the booger hook off of the bang switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse typos.

I have been using a Serpa for my Springer XDM as well as my Springer 1911. I initially wanted an ALS from Safariland but I didn't find one for those particular firearms.

The draw of the Serpa for me is a non issue. I can draw just as quickly and safely as any other OC holster.
    Best
    Maximus Decimus Meridius

Retired SCPO USN
    NRA certified Instructor
    Arizona CCW instructor

Purchased one on friday for my M&P 40c and I don't understand how people were having AD issues. Its a great holster to me and my finger naturally goes to where its supposed to go.

Quote Originally Posted by ExaltedOne View Post
    Purchased one on friday for my M&P 40c and I don't understand how people were having AD issues. Its a great holster to me and my finger naturally goes to where its supposed to go.
    After carrying my G27 in this holster for a month or so, I feel the same way. It is a great holster!

Finally found a Safariland ALS for both my XDM and 1911. Not that I didn't like the Serpa. I still use it ocassionally but the Safariland offers better retention and I am paranoid about retention. The dang thing is pricey though.
    Attached Images
    Best
    Maximus Decimus Meridius

Retired SCPO USN
    NRA certified Instructor
    Arizona CCW instructor

I love the serpa, it has a nice release, not a poke sort of release, this one you use your finger straight down as you would keep on your gun till your ready to fire.. I havent even came close to boogie finger'n it.. Anyway, nice holster

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links