Foxx "Trapp" holster initial thoughts

This is a discussion on Foxx "Trapp" holster initial thoughts within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just received my "Trapp" holster from Foxx Holsters a few hours ago. I bought one for my newly acquired Glock 27. I am a big ...

Thread: Foxx "Trapp" holster initial thoughts

Just received my "Trapp" holster from Foxx Holsters a few hours ago. I bought one for my newly acquired Glock 27. I am a big IWB carry fan and carry that way about 99% of the time. I've been using an OWB holster the past few days waiting for this one to arrive in the mail.

A little background on my carry history; I've been carrying a Ruger LCP in a Remora IWB holster for the past 2 months. I would carry that gun for about 10-12 hours a day and had no problems doing so. When I bought by G27 as my EDC gun, I wanted to try a different type of holster and was leaning towards an all kydex holster like the "Trapp". I do not like the hybrid holsters as I am not a fan of leather against my skin.

Enough of that, more on the holster. I don't want to make the company sound bad, because I have heard great things about them, but this holster is just "so-so".

A few things that I noticed right away:

The kydex on the inside of the holster, the part that touches your skin, does not cover the entire slide. Due to that, the rear portion of the slide was against my skin and almost digging into it.

The holster is essentially two pieces. The clip and the holster portion that carries the gun. The portion that carries the gun is almost like a clam shell with one big rivet holding it together. Since it is designed like that, the retention is based off of the kydex pinching together between the trigger guard. I was fine with the idea until I tried to draw my gun from the holster and it wouldn't come out. After jerking the gun a few times it finally came out. I had to pull so hard that my arm got tired after drawing a few times.

While having a good amount of retention is good, this is just way too much. I keep my belt nice and tight so my pants/shorts do not sag down, but I felt like that was the problem. The pressure from the belt against the holster was not allowing it to expand to let the gun out. On the bright side, the clip was strong enough and held on to my belt so I didn't draw the holster with the gun.

These are just my initial thoughts and I will wear the holster for a few days to see if I get used to it. I have a Remora holster ordered just in case I cannot get used to this one. Maybe I should have stuck with a Remora in the first place?

Here are some pictures!

2012-11-01 15.08.09.jpg2012-11-01 15.09.48.jpg2012-11-01 15.10.40.jpg2012-11-01 15.11.15.jpg

My Foxx holster will be here in a couple days and I'll have to see how I like it with my 26. From the pictures you could easily tell that it didn't have a slide guard and it was going to rub against you.

Also in your photos it looks like you carrying it a little to far back.
    Sig Sauer P229 SCT, Sig Sauer P938, Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 17 Gen 3, Remington 870, Grandpa's Old Single Shot 12 Gauge

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade906 View Post
    My Foxx holster will be here in a couple days and I'll have to see how I like it with my 26. From the pictures you could easily tell that it didn't have a slide guard and it was going to rub against you.

Also in your photos it looks like you carrying it a little to far back.
    That's about the 7:30 position, or 4:30 for you non-southpaws, and that is where IWB carry is most comfortable and concealable for me.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    I have this FoxX holster I got on eBay for $25. It blocks the slide from touching skin, however it doesn't prevent the leather on skin you dislike. It does, however, allow you to tuck in a shirt without issue, since the clips atttach at the bottom of the leather, for deep concealment.

Quote Originally Posted by sioux565 View Post
    That's about the 7:30 position, or 4:30 for you non-southpaws, and that is where IWB carry is most comfortable and concealable for me.
    maybe you should try it around the 6:30-7 position to see if the slide sits in a better spot for you.
    Sig Sauer P229 SCT, Sig Sauer P938, Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 17 Gen 3, Remington 870, Grandpa's Old Single Shot 12 Gauge

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. Abraham Lincoln

Re: Foxx "Trapp" holster initial thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade906 View Post
    maybe you should try it around the 6:30-7 position to see if the slide sits in a better spot for you.
    I'm definitely going to play around with it to try and find a sweet spot. Even if I do, the fact of the excessive retention makes me a bit uneasy.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Well mine left Detroit yesterday so when I get mine ill have to see how the retention it on mine for how i wear my belt. It should wear in a little bit with about a week of wearing though. And if you dont like it just send it back to them and get credit towards the "Little Foxx" holster. It has a leather backing and a slide guard and is not a clamshell holster.

Re: Foxx "Trapp" holster initial thoughts

Just wanted to post an update.

I wore the holster for about 10 hours yesterday. Whether it was sitting around my house, walking around, or driving in my cat running errands, the holster was actually very comfortable. I had it sit at the 8 o'clock position at it stayed in place and didn't move around all day.

As far as the retention goes, that's something I've been getting used to while practicing my draw from the holster. So far, I am impressed.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

I just got mine last night but was to interested with my new XD that i didn't open it until this morning lol. Its nice and ill have to wear it to get used to it as well.

I think they have an extended slide protector that covers the slide.

Quote Originally Posted by sioux565 View Post
    Just received my "Trapp" holster from Foxx Holsters a few hours ago. I bought one for my newly acquired Glock 27. I am a big IWB carry fan and carry that way about 99% of the time. I've been using an OWB holster the past few days waiting for this one to arrive in the mail.

A little background on my carry history; I've been carrying a Ruger LCP in a Remora IWB holster for the past 2 months. I would carry that gun for about 10-12 hours a day and had no problems doing so. When I bought by G27 as my EDC gun, I wanted to try a different type of holster and was leaning towards an all kydex holster like the "Trapp". I do not like the hybrid holsters as I am not a fan of leather against my skin.

Enough of that, more on the holster. I don't want to make the company sound bad, because I have heard great things about them, but this holster is just "so-so".

A few things that I noticed right away:

The kydex on the inside of the holster, the part that touches your skin, does not cover the entire slide. Due to that, the rear portion of the slide was against my skin and almost digging into it.

The holster is essentially two pieces. The clip and the holster portion that carries the gun. The portion that carries the gun is almost like a clam shell with one big rivet holding it together. Since it is designed like that, the retention is based off of the kydex pinching together between the trigger guard. I was fine with the idea until I tried to draw my gun from the holster and it wouldn't come out. After jerking the gun a few times it finally came out. I had to pull so hard that my arm got tired after drawing a few times.

While having a good amount of retention is good, this is just way too much. I keep my belt nice and tight so my pants/shorts do not sag down, but I felt like that was the problem. The pressure from the belt against the holster was not allowing it to expand to let the gun out. On the bright side, the clip was strong enough and held on to my belt so I didn't draw the holster with the gun.

These are just my initial thoughts and I will wear the holster for a few days to see if I get used to it. I have a Remora holster ordered just in case I cannot get used to this one. Maybe I should have stuck with a Remora in the first place?

Here are some pictures!

2012-11-01 15.08.09.jpg2012-11-01 15.09.48.jpg2012-11-01 15.10.40.jpg2012-11-01 15.11.15.jpg
    I think they have an extended slide protector that covers the slide. I also know they have a new clip that allows for more adjustment. Mine should be in the mail today, I'll post some pics. (got it here are some pics)inside_view.jpgoutside_view.jpgfront_view.jpgback_view.jpg

The retention is pretty tight but I read on their website that you can loosen it using a heat gun to let out the grab at the trigger guard, I'll wear it for awhile and report back. It looks awesome, love the carbon fiber look. Super fast turnaround 4 days!
    Last edited by abnoxio; March 24th, 2014 at 09:54 PM. Reason: added some more description

Sponsored Links