Closest AND most Comfortable OWB holster design? - Page 2

Closest AND most Comfortable OWB holster design?

This is a discussion on Closest AND most Comfortable OWB holster design? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Tons of people dislike the Fobus, but i'm with you. I use one for my Kahr and havent had any issues. Granted its not built ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Closest AND most Comfortable OWB holster design?

Tons of people dislike the Fobus, but i'm with you. I use one for my Kahr and havent had any issues. Granted its not built for strength, but for a concealed paddle its fine. Dirt cheap too.

VIP Member
    For OWB only, I like the Fist #7 the best with Galco's Combat Master getting honorable mention.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I have recently found the DeSantis Speed Scabbard for my SA Ultra Compact and Mini Scabbard for my Kahr PM9 to be very comfortable and well concealable.

I have had good luck with High Noon, both their shoulder holsters and there outside the waist band holsters. I prefer an outside the waist band holster with belt slots as it really snugs up when I tighten my belt. Shoulder holsters work good for me as well, I am going to be seated most of the day or driving and weather permitting I will use a shoulder holster for the Glock 17 or Steyr M9A1. Truth be told weather permitting I will carry one as a primary and use the other as a back up.

Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
    Jeff Cooper

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    That's what I use with my Kimber Ultra Carry, great holster.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post

Kramer and DeSantis

The best two OWB leather belt holsters I have found are the Kramer horsehide belt scabbard and the DeSantis Speed Scabbard. The Kramer is fairly expensive, while the DeSantis is cheaper. These are shown below:

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    The best two OWB leather belt holsters I have found are the Kramer horsehide belt scabbard and the DeSantis Speed Scabbard. The Kramer is fairly expensive, while the DeSantis is cheaper. These are shown below:

Note the large difference in the stitching quality between the "custom" Kramer and the "mass produced" DeSantis. Kramer is using the wrong needle, likely a round-point on a modern cylinder stitching machine, so the stitchline is not neat; and knots are showing near the trigger guard; and the cut thread at the forward slot has been left ragged. By contrast, the DeSantis has a smooth stitchline, clean holes from using the right needle -- maybe even an old harness machine by the look of it -- and there are no loose, frayed threads or knots as on the Kramer. One would expect more at the price and reputation of the Kramer; and this is not a new issue, but dates back to their origin.
    Red (Richard) Nichols

Closest AND most Comfortable OWB holster design?

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post
    Mines comfortable, its secure, and its close, but it is also as thick as a brick, then stuff an XD in it. Concealability is not so great for me YMMV.

Sent from my iPad

Speaking from personal experience, I can't even begin to compare a DeSantis scabbard and a Kramer horsehide scabbard.

After 6 months of daily use, the DeSantis will be flimsy and not allow a one-handed re-holster. (Had one for a Sig P225, wife had one for a Colt Ofcs model.)

The Kramer horsehide belt scabbard, after years of EDC (one for a Sig P220 10+ years [to include plain clothes use for a two year stint in an anti-crime unit] and one for a Glock 19 6+ years) will still be stiff and allow one handed re-holstering. Wife also had one for a 228 that was her EDC gun and holster combo for approximately 8 years - same thing.

Lots of good holster makers in business today, for me; the first holster that I order for any gun that I buy is a Kramer horsehide belt scabbard. Just ordered one for a Walther PPS last night in fact.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glocker73 View Post
    Brommeland Def-Con works the best for me after much trial & error.
    Another vote for the Brommeland. I CCW'd a FS 1911 in one for a couple of years. Most comfortable OWB holster that I've ever used.
    NRA Instructor

I like a high ride belt slide holster with a 15 deg forward cant because it holds the pistol close to your body. It conceales easily with almost any loose fitting shirt that is long enough. I make my own leather holsters and make them for family members only.

UBG Regulator. Feels good. Nice cant. Snaps to take it on an off quick if needed. Good service. Don't know it's even there. Had to keep checking to see if My gun was still there.

Quote Originally Posted by rednichols View Post
    Note the large difference in the stitching quality between the "custom" Kramer and the "mass produced" DeSantis. Kramer is using the wrong needle, likely a round-point on a modern cylinder stitching machine, so the stitchline is not neat; and knots are showing near the trigger guard; and the cut thread at the forward slot has been left ragged. By contrast, the DeSantis has a smooth stitchline, clean holes from using the right needle -- maybe even an old harness machine by the look of it -- and there are no loose, frayed threads or knots as on the Kramer. One would expect more at the price and reputation of the Kramer; and this is not a new issue, but dates back to their origin.
    . While the Kramer probably is a better quality holster, I noticed the same thing as you. I find it hard to believe that such a highly respected holster maker would have less than stellar stitching.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links