Making my own holsters.

This is a discussion on Making my own holsters. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Im starting to make my own kydex holsters. Mostly owb. Id like to make a few iwb holsters and I'm a big advocate of soft ...

Thread: Making my own holsters.

Making my own holsters.

Im starting to make my own kydex holsters. Mostly owb. Id like to make a few iwb holsters and I'm a big advocate of soft loops.

Without spending 15 bucks for a pair, is there somewhere I can find material to make soft loops and some snaps.

Preferably not online.

Derek.

2. Remove Ads

mkh
    Does your town have a Tandy Leather store?

My Blade-Tech Nano has rubber belt straps so that would be an option. First time I have had a holster with rubber straps and I like them.

I use leather. If you want I could send you a strip of leather so you don't have to buy a big piece. Just pay for the postage.

Administrator
    How serious are you about getting into this? I only ask because if you intend to set snaps the snap setter sold by Tandy SUCKS.

So you will also need to purchase a decent snap setter. This one is GREAT.

Press-N-Snap (Aluminum) for Installing Fastener, Air Equipment, Upholstery Tools, Pliers for Baby Clothing Snaps, Press-N-Snap (Aluminum) for Installing Fastener from Rochford Supply - Your Online Textile and Upholstery Superstore!

If you're only intending to make a few holsters then possibly you would be better off having a leather worker that is already set up make the straps with set snaps to your specifications.

Too bad that snap setter can't do double sided rivets.

Check Hobby Lobby too. The one here has rivets and snaps. Look for line 24 snaps, the kit usually comes with the cheap setter. Just don't go wailing on it initially. Tap the setter a few times to get the post started bending, then increase the force a bit. If you wanted to spend the money, buy a belt blank and cut that leather to size.

That said, I've made them before. And if you don't need a bunch of them, $15 is not too bad. For snaps, dye, and a belt blank your into it for about $30 or $40.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Links