Best OWB Leather Holsters for S&W K Framed Revolvers....Strong Side or Cross Draw....

This is a discussion on Best OWB Leather Holsters for S&W K Framed Revolvers....Strong Side or Cross Draw.... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Seems like revolver carriers are certainly in the minority today...Here's what I'm working with. 66 years old, 5'10". 225lbs, Love Handles, Some belly, and a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Best OWB Leather Holsters for S&W K Framed Revolvers....Strong Side or Cross Draw....

Best OWB Leather Holsters for S&W K Framed Revolvers....Strong Side or Cross Draw....

Seems like revolver carriers are certainly in the minority today...Here's what I'm working with. 66 years old, 5'10". 225lbs, Love Handles, Some belly, and a Retirement Income (I will buy a few, but have no interest in "collecting holsters...:) ) .... Casual dresser, live in Wisconsin (Cold in the Winter, Hot and Sticky in the Summer)....I will carry both 2.5" S&W 19/66's, and a 2" 64. The state and I are new to concealed carry, but been a serious gun buyer and shooter for over 20 years. Looking at life as a short stick rather than looking forward to years of being prepared. I actually know just about every holster and builder available....that's not my request. I'd really like to hear from anyone who does carry or did carry K Framed revolvers and what works for you.....Any practical help would be appreciated.....Thanks....Sandpiper

2. Remove Ads

Wow...134 hits and not one user??!?! Seems I need to buy some guns.......I'm pretty surprised that so few carry S&W K frames anymore......Sandpiper

I have carried my speed six which is similar in size in both a Simply Rugged holster and a Hayes Holster. Both are good bolstered. Of the two I slightly prefer the Hayes Holster Can't go wrong with either one.

Senior Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    Sandpiper, I'll be watching this one. My next one will be a 3" Model 66 or a SP 101. For field carry I prefer OWB cross draw so I don't have a rifle bumping the carry rig. Good luck.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

I love my K frames. The only concern I have carrying mine is concealing a 6' barrel. If I do chose to carry one I have to say the pancake holsters on Simply Rugged Holsters look awfully comfortable and I will most likely purchase one.

Goose
    "These days I go down to Wal-Mart and they sell 'em in the back.
    Some people wanna take 'em away, why don't you go bust them boys that's sellin' crack.
    Guns, whether Remingtons 'er Glocks.
    Come on man it ain't like I'm a slingin' 'em on the block." - Justin Moore

Anyone else?.......I'm actually surprised at the number of Holster makers who now seem to build only for Pistols....?!! Sandpiper

MY 66 resides in a DM Bullard Dual carry on the rare occasions when I carry it. It is usually found riding in my safe.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Distinguished Member
    I have a 4 inch barrel smith model 65 with a round butt that I had the hammer bobbed on. I carry it a lot over the past 25 years with a barami hip grip. It carries so well that way. Try it u might like it.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

i have a Wilson Combat/S&W 66, 2.5" that i carry mostly in a Kramer horsehide Vertical Scabbard in the 3:00 position. i also carry a S&W 625, 3" in (usually) a Kramer horsehide Belt Scabbard in the 4:30 position. i just bought a horsehide Vertical Scabbard for this 625, but i haven't used it yet. finally, i just bought a NW Tactical kydex holster for my S&W Performance Center 625, 4" (but you said you wanted leather).

when i'm carrying a revolver, i prefer the Kramer Vertical Scabbard style to the Kramer Belt Scabbard style, because of the way the gun 'pops' in and out of the Vertical Scabbard. the Belt Scabbard style requires more fiddling to re-holster a wheel gun because of the retaining 'flaps' on the holster.

with my semi-autos, i prefer the Belt Scabbard style over the Vertical Scabbard style. there are no 'flaps' on the pistol Belt Scabbards.

these holsters cost about $130 (+ or -) from Kramer. the Vertical Scabbard is usually made in a straight drop, neutral cant, but it can be ordered with FBI cant. the Belt Scabbard is always (to my knowledge) made with an FBI, forward cant. for the small difference in price, i recommend horsehide over Kramer cowhide. Kramer cowhide looks too 'pebbly', while Kramer horsehide is sleek and smooth.

i'm 5'7", 160 pounds, and 68 years old.

it'd be nice if you told us what you finally decide to get. so often, people ask for input, but we never learn what they ultimately chose to do.

p.s.: the Vertical Scabbard could possibly be worn in a mild crossdraw position - that is, not too far away from the body centerline, or in the appendix carry position. the success of these possibilities would depend on whether a straight up draw was possible for you in these locations.
    Last edited by sensei2; November 16th, 2012 at 01:09 PM.

I have a Model 64 2" that I carry OWB (strong side). My holster came from Hays Holsters ("Haystacker" on this forum).

I really like the holster and it pulls the gun in close.

Here's a couple pics:

64holster.jpg mod64holster.jpg
    Sandpiper likes this.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I have a Falco leather IWB holster for my S&W Model 19 that works for me. Never tried a Falco OWB holster. Food for thought, I also have a box full of well recommended holsters that did not work for me. LOL
    Sandpiper likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I thought I already replied to this one; did you post a similar topic elsewhere?

Anyway, I love the Milt Sparks PMK, and have them to fit K-frames and Ruger SP101 pistols.

Best OWB Leather Holsters for S&W K Framed Revolvers....Strong Side or Cross Dr

I'm saving for a holster for my S&W 65 3". I am thinking about a pancake either from simply rugged or lobo gun leather.

Let us know what you pick and how it works.

http://shop.simplyrugged.com/ecommer...151&parent=669

http://www.lobogunleather.com/8enhan...e_new_for_2010

Dont lose hope in us younger folks. Im almost half your age and still love my round gun. I dont carry OWB but carry my 3" k frame almost daily. On the weekends I carry at 4 o clock IWB in a Theis holster. During the week I carry it in a Smart carry or a holster made by Sideguard holster
    Rigrat likes this.

Being a big boy most of my life, I have found that wearing a wheel gun OWB makes it stick out like a stopsign on a school bus! I usually carry either a Colt Cobra, or a S&W 65 3" RB. IWB is the only way I can carry and get the concealment I need.

slik

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links