Searched "fat guy" and zero results.....?

This is a discussion on Searched "fat guy" and zero results.....? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Am I in the wrong Forum? :) Sandpiper...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Searched "fat guy" and zero results.....?

Am I in the wrong Forum? :) Sandpiper
    kmagnuss likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    There are some past threads discussing some good firearm carry locations for members that are heavier than average.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    What are you looking for? I am a bit larger than normal, maybe I can help.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Distinguished Member
    I absolutely qualify as a "fat guy"... Whatcha wanna know? :)

Oh... And welcome to the group!
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

X2. Welcome. Don't let my user name fool you, I am a big guy. Be glad to help just let us know what you are looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This post is pretty much related to the others I've started. I got very little response to the thread about carrying a K Framed S&W Snub on the belt. I'm rethinking everything about carrying...I'm not a J frame guy, and not locked into revolvers at all...they are just available. Because of my weight, or because of my choices in dress, IWB was never a consideration and I don't want to be obvious in wearing oversized pants any more than I want to make my carry obvious. My intent was not to call out anyone in a negative way, but to whine about my frustration in finding both a weapon and means of carry that will work for a guy in his mid 60's who still wears his jeans on the tight side. Dress pants will make the issue worse. Please forgive my poor attempt at being clever and tell me what and how you guys are carrying....Safety and access are critical, comfort isn't driving this, but I don't want a blood blister around my middle at the end of the day either....I'm sure open to suggestions. My ability to learn is greater than my ability to express myself........If I've insulted someone seriously, I'm sincerely sorry....Sandpiper

Sandpiper, I'm in there with you - no longer as svelte as I once was....that was a long time ago. I also like wheelguns, but anything bigger that a Jframe I've found to be too uncomfortable to wear for log... but I prefer a full-size gun anyway. Look to Kydex...I never thought I'd carry IWB either, but found that a simple Blade-tech kydex IWB allows me to carry a full sized duty weapon for long periods of time when only light cover will do. I also like Serpas and Uncle Mike's kydex paddles. They are even more comfortable the IWB but ride closely to the belt. I carry at around 4 o'clock, which allows good concealment (actually, better than some very thin folks) because of the way an open shirt hangs from my shoulders. They're great in the car, or in restaurants if the seating isn't in chairs with arms - pick a booth if possible. Trial and error...everybody's built uniquely...but try a paddle holster unless you can wear an adequate belt to hang a belt holster on....good luck...hope this helps a bit.

Distinguished Member
    I'm large enough to make small children run in fear that they'll be eaten for lunch...
    I carry either a Sig P238, a full size 1911 or sometimes a Springfield XD-40 Service model... all IWB, all in Remora holsters.
    No problems with weapon access and even Missus Whoppo can't tell if I'm carrying or not.
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Administrator
    It's fine that you started this new talk thread. Our "search" feature is not as incredible as it could be.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    You will need to add a waist size or two if you still like your jeans on the tight side. One answer might be a shoulder holster. they are not uncomfortable if you get it adjusted right. An other would be a smaller gun and pocket carry. Tight jeans pockets wont be much fun either tho. Just a couple of thoughts. DR

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    There are some past threads discussing some good firearm carry locations for members that are heavier than average.
    Hey hey hey, I resemble that remark...... LMAO
    Actually, I'm a "fat guy" who carrys about 330 to 345 position. Ankle holster or cross-draw carry, ONLY when I'm in my vehicle. I sometimes shoulder carry in the winter, but only when I know I'm not going to take my coat off.
    QKShooter likes this.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    I carry a Glock 27 at 3:30 in an owb holster. You can wear your pants as tight as you like if you carry owb. Just throw on a t shirt and an unbuttoned shirt and your good to go
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    OK, I am 6'5" & 350#. I carry in a:

- Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro at 3:30 to 4:00 - IWB - 6 different holsters from a 4" K frame/1911 size to a S&W Shield/642 size, but primary EDC is G30
    - Fist #7 at 3:30 to 4:00 - OWB - G30 or G21
    - High Noon Under Taker - shoulder rig - 3 different rigs, but primary is G30
    - DeSantis Super Fly - pocket - 2 different holsters, but primary is LCP

I find all of these to be comfortable - all day comfortable. The PK BOP is forget you have it on comfortable. IWB requires a bit looser pants, so it may not be your thing. I have not worn my pants tight since college, but it appears that you prefer them tight - OK. If I were in your position and liking my pants tight, I would look at OWB or shoulder rigs.

ETA: Another tip is to always wear a undershirt between the holster and your skin. This will minimize comfort issues and blistering.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    Experimentation is the only real way to know what is going to work for you. Yes, it costs a little money, but in the long run you will be happier with your choice.

Personally, I prefer OWB at the 9:00 (3:00 for the right handers) position. I can conceal darned near anything I want that way. I like full kydex on a rigid gun belt. If you still have trouble with the weight of the gun, try a set of Perry suspenders along with a purpose built gun belt.

You have to remember the old cliche, what works for me probably won't work for you.

Experimentation is how most of us attained our box of holsters in the first place.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Awesome thread!

I'm a 5'11, 280ish pound guy myself. Reading these responses with great interest!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links