1:30, no, 3:00... wait, 4:30... try 1:30 again... ARGH!!

This is a discussion on 1:30, no, 3:00... wait, 4:30... try 1:30 again... ARGH!! within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yep, you guessed it... new IWB carrier... Bought a N82 Professional IWB holster for my Glock 27, my first IWB and I'm sure having fun ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: 1:30, no, 3:00... wait, 4:30... try 1:30 again... ARGH!!

Yep, you guessed it... new IWB carrier... Bought a N82 Professional IWB holster for my Glock 27, my first IWB and I'm sure having fun figuring out where I like having it...

1:30 feels great! Molds just right!... until I sit down...

3:00 not bad... feels ok... but then starts pressing on the hip bone...

4:30 ok, this'll be it... feels ok, hides well... sitting isn't terribly uncomfortable, but...

Oh, I don't know, let's try 2:00... wait, maybe 3:30 or 4:00 is the magic spot...

It's not the holsters fault, it's very comfortable and I'd recommend it highly. It's just a matter of finding that Goldilocks spot that's juuuuust right...

C'mon, who else has been through this and where did you end up?
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

My vote for 4:00................
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

VIP Member
    9:00 for some guns, 9:30 for some, and 8:30 for still others.

The so-called "sweet spot" has more to do with the gun than the holster.

*ETA - Personally, I don't feel there is a truly COMFORTABLE position IWB. It is more of finding the "least UN-comfortable" position.
    iguanadon likes this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    9:00 for some guns, 9:30 for some, and 8:30 for still others.

The so-called "sweet spot" has more to do with the gun than the holster.

*ETA - Personally, I don't feel there is a truly COMFORTABLE position IWB. It is more of finding the "least UN-comfortable" position.
    The least uncomfortable spot, that's funny. I have an OWB on order and as I've been screwing around with the IWB today I did say out loud to nobody "I can't wait for that FIST holster to get here..."

http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/holster/10.htm
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

Distinguished Member
    I prefer 3:30. It's off the hip bone but no so far back that you can feel it while sitting and it's still easy to draw from a sitting position.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

I use 4:30. I just slide the holster it it hits and matches pretty well to body curves. It varies of course with the holster.

I'm going to suggest you try something a little less traditional than carrying behind the hip. Try appendix carry at either 11:00 (if you are lefthanded) or 1:00 if you are right handed. I went through the same trial and error you are now and finally just gave up on behind the hip carry. Didn't like sitting on the gun....plus having the stock jab me in the ribs. Tried appendix carry inside waist band and it was love at first sight.... Very comfortable, exellent control of my firearm, Very quick access and draw and easier for me to conceal. Now I don't mean to get personal, but if you have.......say......a large stomach it may not work for you. People with slim builds usually find that a shirt will drape naturally and cover a pistol at the appendix if their chest is larger than their waist. Anyway, I've already been where you are now and that was my solution.... Give it a try. Appendix carry holsters usually have a straight drop to provide easy access....

IWB carry takes some time to get used to. I carried an LCP for a good time and at first I couldn't stand it. That was with an LCP! After a few months of carrying that, now carrying my Glock 27 is extremely comfortable at the 8:30 position, same as 3:30 for you right handers. Just give it time and don't give up!

Another vote for 3:30

I also vote for 3:30 after going through the same excercise.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Try a different holster. That one looks uncomfortable from here. Here is where I wound up:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMa_7RXi_F4
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

I can let you know once my n82 holster comes in the mail and I pickup my M&P 9c from the FFL :D

Anytime you introduce something onto your body that creates pressure where it didn't before you will very likely experience some discomfort until the nerves adjust and over time become accustomed to it where it feels normal,I carry about 8:30 OWB (lefty)
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    At the risk of sounding like I'm copping out, you're going to have to figure this out for yourself. Everyone's body is different (duh!) and therefore what's comfortable for me may not be comfortable for you (double duh!).

The one piece of advice I'm going to give is this: try the holster and position for about a week. Holsters and carry positions are a lot like shoes - you have to break them in. Unless you are so uncomfortable with a position that you literally can't abide it, give it some time. The first day may be uncomfortable for any holster and position but that's because you're not used to it. You may find that after a day or two, an initially uncomfortable position is feeling very good.
    Rock and Glock and sioux565 like this.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    3:30 or 4 works for me...maybe 3:45...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links