My EDC dilemma....

This is a discussion on My EDC dilemma.... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been a CHP holder a short time now, and have been carrying what I had already: A S&W model 36 in a De ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: My EDC dilemma....

My EDC dilemma....

I have been a CHP holder a short time now, and have been carrying what I had already: A S&W model 36 in a De Santis "Insider" holster. After several weeks of daily carry, it is becoming clear that this setup is just a bit too heavy for my liking. Here's what I'm considering:

- Get a lighter wheel gun (442, 642)?
    - Get a lighter pistol (Have looked at LC9, Shield, PM/CM9)?
    - Just get a better carry solution?

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    That's going to be a very personal decision. I'm comfortable with my Sig P938 and will potentially upgrade to a larger 9mm for EDC. My home defense is a Walther PPQ 9mm.

My EDC dilemma....

You won't regret getting something lighter and more comfortable to carry, but like was said above its a personal decision on what that gun will be. I was in the same situation not too long ago and ended up with an HK p2000sk .40

If you consider the set up you currently have as "too heavy", then you need a better belt. A true gun belt. A&G Custom Gun Leather, Wilderness Frequent Flyer 5 stitch, etc....................take your pick. The 36 is only 19.5 oz unloaded. That isn't much.
    Last edited by tmoore912; November 15th, 2012 at 08:48 PM.
    joker1, zacii, aus71383 and 1 others like this.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

Other than an airweight Smith or maybe an LCR you aren't gonna find much of a lighter revolver. Take a critical look at how you carry your Smith. Start with your belt.

VIP Member
    I will add another vote for a proper gun belt, get at least a double thickness 1 ¼ inch wide belt and you will note a world of difference in comfort. I currently carry a Springfield 3” 1911 that weighs 32 ounces with a Wild Bill’s holster and belt and can wear it for 8-10 hours with no discomfort.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Re: My EDC dilemma....

Your weapon is only one part of several in a carry system.

Gun, holster & belt are all equally important. With the correct holster and belt, nearly anyone can carry anything comfortably.

I use a Rock Steady belt from High Noon Holsters. I highly recommend it.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I struggled with IWB due to comfort. I hope to be able to work IWB into my EDC, but for now I bought a S&W Bodyguard 380 and pocket carry. I never have an excuse to carry. I still have my Ruger SR9c and hope to work it into IWB carry as time goes.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Carry an all-steel S&W N-frame for four or five years, then switch back to your tiny Model 36, which will then feel weightless.

OK, seriously, look at the belt you are using. If you are going to make a lifestyle of concealed carry, the decorative leather ribbons, that you thought were belts, will have to become a thing of the past. If the belt is a good gunbelt, that fits the slots on your holster well, and something still hurts, try different holster positions. Seriously, an all-steel J-frame is not a heavy weapon. The lightest handgun I wear on a belt is a Ruger SP101, which is heavier than your J-frame. With good rigs, I can wear an all-steel 5"-barrel Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special, all day long, in comfort. I recently acquired a Milt Sparks VM II, and I am not kidding when I say I can wear my Baer all day in comfort, with a Kramer or Sparks belt.

Back to my opening sentence: I actually did carry my 4" S&W Model 58, an N-frame revolver, from 1985 to the about 1990, in IWB and OWB holsters. I used G. Wm. Davis gun belts, so all was well, and comfortable. I believed in carrying my duty handgun on my own time, and did so. Yes, it was easier to do when I switched to a 1911 pistol, and then a SIG P220. Your J-snub is tiny, in comparison.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    As for buying a 642 or 442, well, yes, such Airweight snubs can be very good to have. My 642-derived Performance Center snubbie, which is engraved as an M460, is good for times I need a pocket gun. It is a very rare event for me to wear it at belt level.

Keep your Model 36!

My EDC problem is I can't carry them all with me. When I pick one up and take it out with me, I feel like I picked one of my kids up from school and left the other one there outside waiting, watching me drive off and wondering why Daddy left him but took his brother.
    JDE101 likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

A real gun belt first.

A better holster?

That is not a heavy gun. So you are probably doing it wrong.

Austin

Another vote for a GOOD belt! I carry a full size 1911 without a problem!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Thanks for the input. I'm guilty of not wearing a belt, let alone a proper gun belt. Get a new belt....check!
    pgrass101 likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Now what type of belt are you going to get?
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links