Is there a happy medium between IWB & OWB? - Page 2

Is there a happy medium between IWB & OWB?

This is a discussion on Is there a happy medium between IWB & OWB? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ghost tracker Your issue is that you mistakenly believe you can think, research, ask, try, rethink, do more research, ask again & ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Is there a happy medium between IWB & OWB?

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Your issue is that you mistakenly believe you can think, research, ask, try, rethink, do more research, ask again & re-try to eventually arrive at the Holy Grail of ONE HOLSTER. I appreciate your effort. Most of us tried the same thing. But you are sadly delusional. Just resolve yourself to a lifetime of buy-and-try, just like the...rest of us.
    I know that you are right. I'm sure within a year I'll have whole drawer full of different types of holsters from different manufacturers. With all things, I try to do as much research as possible and find the best happy medium before jumping in...holsters are no exception. But, again, I believe you're correct.

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    For my Bersa Thunder .45 UC Pro, I have a Crossbreed SuperSlide. OWB, and very close to the body. Won't conceal it with a t-shirt, but with the pearl snap checkered shirts that I wear, it disappears when worn at about the 4-5 o'clock position.
    Just last night I was looking at this exact holster. Looks like a great fit. Thanks for including the pictures, too. The way you dress is very similiar to how I dress so that was very helpful.

How does it feel/print when sitting down to eat at a restaurant?

I've begun my holster collection in seek of the perfect match of comfort, concealability, fit, quality, and price for each of my carry guns. Then I need an IWB and OWB for each. This is going to be a long process. There are so many quality holsters out there to choose from. Good thing I am determined!

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    I really think it depends on a few different things...first for me is comfort, second is concealability, and third is summer vs winter...some weapons are to large and bulky to IWB carry in any holster and in summer they print really bad. In cooler weather condition I OWB carry in a very comfortable holster covered by a light or heavy jacket. In the hot summer I IWB carry. I also carry a sub-compact 9mm and a 380. Both very easy to conceal anytime of the year or clothing options.

Milt Sparks Versa Max and their Summer Special II will handle the IWB duty.

Same outfit's 55BN covers the OWB stuff.

When I first started carrying many years ago, OWB was all I'd do. Now, IWB takes 90% of the load.

Quote Originally Posted by llmstratocaster View Post
    Just last night I was looking at this exact holster. Looks like a great fit. Thanks for including the pictures, too. The way you dress is very similiar to how I dress so that was very helpful.

How does it feel/print when sitting down to eat at a restaurant?
    It sits high enough with the pants I wear (wranglers) that it doesn't stick out MUCH when I sit down. In a restaurant I just try to sit in a booth, or my back to a wall if I'm worried about it.

Glad I could help!

Something worth noting is that this specific holster does make it difficult to retrieve your wallet (assuming that your wallet is on the same side that you wear your gun). I just slide the holster forward enough to get my wallet out and then slide it back. Minor inconvenience.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

<---------- Happy Medium........
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

There are times for either IWB or OWB...in FL both must be concealed. With lose clothes, it's not a problem
    I do not, however, like holsters where the tip of the firearm is exposed, as in the Galco Jak Slide.OMO

To the OP, now is the time to start your 'holster box'.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Tip: Clothing choice matters.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    IMO, a decently firm/unyielding, close-fitting, mid- to high-riding pancake style holster that sits outside the belt provides about as good a combination of comfort with concealability as exists. Whether that'll be sufficient for your needs depends on the mix of characteristics you're requiring and what trade-offs you're willing to accept.
    Keep in mind that it's entirely likely that not all of your clothing will work with your preferred mode of carry and selected holster/handgun combination.

Clothing selection can make a huge difference in the basic concealability and comfort of a given holster/gun choice. Many people find that a bit different style of pants (or at least a one-size bump up in size), or a change in the covering garment (shirt, blouse, jacket, vest) makes a world of difference in these areas. Some styles, patterns, colors just won't work quite as well as others. The only way to see is to try them out, perhaps also getting someone else's feedback on whether it's "printing" with that combination.

For example, I've got some pants where IWB/OWB is fine, but pocket carry is impossible, based on both the pocket design on those pants and how little extra room there is around the pants area for a full holster/pistol. Whereas, most of my pants have come along after I began carrying, and I have acquired them with a specific eye toward suitability for accommodating IWB, OWB and pocket carry ... if I could get all of those in a single piece of clothing. Same with jackets, and certain shirts. Some work, some don't, but ones that I have purchased since carrying have been purchased with an eye toward suitability with carry.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    I'm sticking with IWB. I've used Blackhawk and Crossbreed. Like them both for several changes of guns over time.

Quote Originally Posted by TKshooter View Post
    I will offer a shameless promotion-

My husband has started making IWB and OWB holsters. Very high quality and nice. He charges about $40-45 with a 3-4 week lead time.

You can find him on Facebook under Taktical Holsters or on the high road forum

He has made the nice convertible holster. Its kydex shell with leather backing but cut so that it can go OWB and looks nice, but has enough leather to still be worn IWB. Its a nice mix.

Check him out if you would like! He made me a nice black leather and one for my G19.
    I like you and your attitude, because you stand by your man. Good on ya.

A recent newspaper article here in Oz by Bettina Arndt (probably syndicated) describes research that says we blokes only work hard to get girls; and it looks like your husband has found perfection!

The holster question itself has been too thoroughly answered over the last 100 years to be discussed, tho! It's like asking which colour of the rainbow we like :)
    Red (Richard) Nichols
    "Chief Holster Scientist"

http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Red_.../about_us.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links