Kydex Holster Highly Formed and Not Formed?

This is a discussion on Kydex Holster Highly Formed and Not Formed? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I see some Kydex holsters are very formed to the gun, like the Kydex was wrapped and melted to the gun. Then I see some ...

Fairfield Inn, Courtyard, Springhill Suites, Marriott and Hilton hotels

I see some Kydex holsters are very formed to the gun, like the Kydex was wrapped and melted to the gun.

Then I see some other Kydex holsters like the Dale Fricke models than do not look to be as form fitted.

Which is better? I need the least amount of bulk for my M&P Shield and I need a holster fast...I can't wait months...thanks!

Mike

Well part of it is the thickness of the Kydex. .060" Kydex will form into every nook. You can form even .093 and get a lot of detail, but it is so stiff that if you don't remove or prevent some of that detail you won't be able to get the gun out. I mostly use .080 which I feel is a good middle ground. If you want the least amount of bulk possible, I would go with .060. I made a holster for a Desert Eagle not too long ago, it was made from .093 because that gun is so heavy I thought it needed a very stiff holster. In order to make that holster have a smooth draw, I had to mold it with less detail.
    deagle.jpg

as long as the holster holds the gun securely and releases it smoothly, i don't think it matters how "formed" the kydex is. i have holsters of both types, and they all work well.

My favorite kydex holster is my Dale Fricke Archangel. It doesn't show much of the gun's detail in the kydex, but retention is great, comfort is very good, and the gun rides well, so I don't worry about it. My extreme concealment OWB kydex holster has a decent amount of the gun's detail molded into it, and functions well also. I can't compare it to the Archangel as they are two different holsters for two different purposes. So, I guess my point it is that from my experience, the amount of detail in the molding seems to be fairly irrelevant to the holster's performance.

Check out the Blade-Tech Nano. Very similar to the Dale Fricke Archangel, but cheaper, and availability should be much better. The Nano appears to be more adjustable and is made with thin Kydex. I have one for a Glock 19 and like it a lot.

Another alternative I like is PJ Holster LLC | Simple, Practical, Affordable Holsters.. I have one for my Kahr PM9 and I think it's pretty much perfect for a minimalist holster, and the price is good too. It was about a 3 week wait for me.

I like formed better. Foxx holsters just started making an all kydex IWB holster. I have one for my Glock 27 and it is about as minimal as you can get.

Here is my brief review on it: Review: Foxx "Trapp"

Home

"Snug" & "good" aren't always the same. I LIKE snug on a Hooters waitress but not on...a middle-aged Walmart fatty. I have to agree with the above posts. Modern holster design isn't all about the form-fitted details. It's about function, comfort, retention & speed. Heck, you might as well join the rest of us. Just buy & try 'till you find your own idea of "ahhhh, perfect".
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    I purchased a few kydex holsters. The goods ones fit tight and the gun "snaps" in or out. They are secure and don't rattle. I got a cheap one on Ebay and put the gun in and could not get it out. It took two guys to pull it out thank god it was not loaded. I took my heat gun and warmed up the kydex and made an adjustment to it. It is my most used holster. The kydex can be adjusted with heat. I would not adjust it very much maybe twice.

Quote Originally Posted by mdrums View Post
    ... I need the least amount of bulk for my M&P Shield and I need a holster fast...I can't wait months...thanks!

Mike
    There are several holster makers in this forum, so I expect you will get many responses. As far as how quickly you can get a good holster, that too, will vary by manufacturer. My holsters come mostly from SHTF Gear LLC, or from Blade-Tech. The SHTF holsters are Kydex/leather hybrids and the Blade-Tech holsters are just Kydex. SHTF claims 3-5 days and Blade-Tech claims 7 days if you order from their ready-made dept. Both are good holsters, I prefer my SHTF ACE-1 holster.

No, I don't work for either of them.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Links