Creaking holster suggestion

This is a discussion on Creaking holster suggestion within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all, I have a Crossbreed Supertuck, and like many have found it creaked to an unacceptable degree. Their instructions say that some have used ...

Thread: Creaking holster suggestion

Hi all,

I have a Crossbreed Supertuck, and like many have found it creaked to an unacceptable degree. Their instructions say that some have used a felt or fabric backing on the clips and this solved it. I also searched the forums here and found a number of creative solutions to this problem.

I wanted to share the solution I found as it has proven easy, cheap, and very durable:

There is a product on the market that we use when backpacking to dress blisters. This product is called "moleskin". It is a very tough felt-like fabric with a VERY powerful adhesive backing (it is meant to stick to sweaty feet, after all). I put a small square of moleskin on the back of each clip, and my holster is completely SILENT.

Just thought someone else might be able to benefit from this easy solution.

You can get moleskin at just about any drugstore in the foot care section. Hope this helps someone.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Thanks for the info. This is the first time I have heard of ANY problem with the crossbreed supertuck. I wonder why it hasn't been addressed by crossbreed.

I've got a Tommy Theis that creaks a bit when I first put it on but after about 30 minutes it stops. I've read that baby powder will stop it also but haven't tried it because mine seems to be quieting down.

It's a known issue with almost all of the hybrids. I only had 1 crossbreed (which did squeak), and now I've got a couple Kholster's for various guns...same deal. While baby powder is a temp fix, it does the opposite of what you want to do. It'll dry out the leather which is never a good thing to do. While I mink oil mine every couple months, the cure I found is a rubber washer in between the clip and leather. Home Depot has them pre cut for like $.023/pr. Also the Dyed Holsters tend to squeak more than natural ones. Hard to see in the pic, but the bottom washer is rubber. For the ones squeaking from the top of the clips hitting leather, electrical tape on the back of the clip will shut it up, and you can't see it.

2012-11-22 16.36.10.jpg

It's mainly a horsehide issue, not a hybird issue. My IWB leather hybrid does not squeak. My horsehide did. My leather OWB hybrid does not squeak. The horsehide flashlight and OC spray holster does squeak. The density that folks love about the horsehide is what leads to all the positives about it, it's also why it squeaks.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    It's mainly a horsehide issue ... The density that folks love about the horsehide is what leads to all the positives about it, it's also why it squeaks.
    I've never heard that. But a quickie internet search of "cowhide horsehide squeaking" shows that dozens of posts/articles have been written about this very issue. Huh, ya learn something every day.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    I've never heard that. But a quickie internet search of "cowhide horsehide squeaking" shows that dozens of posts/articles have been written about this very issue. Huh, ya learn something every day.
    It's why I prefer working in cow leather over horse hide. I just don't like the squeak.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I have a horsehide CBST, which always squeaks. I put felt between the clips and leather. That stopped the clips from squeaking. BUT, the firearm against the leather still squeaks. Very frustrating. I am strongly thinking of selling it and going with a different brand.

Fortunately on mine the gun doesn't make any noise at all against the leather. It was only the clips.

This may help out. Questions

Justin

Use neutral color shoe polish under the clips and the noise will disappear.

VIP Member
    One time I tried to blame the creaking on a holster, come to find out it was my bones and joints creaking.

Seriously, how about using some neatsfoot oil on the "leather to leather" places?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I've had holsters that squeek in the past. I had great results using baby powder. After putting the baby powder on where the holster rides on the belt, no more noise of any kind. It's been my experience that holsters can start to make noise at any time in their life. The baby powder really has worked for me.

Links