My review of the DeSantis Kingston CAR HOLSTER -- *PICTURES*

This is a discussion on My review of the DeSantis Kingston CAR HOLSTER -- *PICTURES* within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry my Sig 229 DAK in a Comp-Tac CTAC IWB holster which I absolutely love and it's great for pretty much every purpose or ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My review of the DeSantis Kingston CAR HOLSTER -- *PICTURES*

I carry my Sig 229 DAK in a Comp-Tac CTAC IWB holster which I absolutely love and it's great for pretty much every purpose or situation - except riding in cars. I wear my CTAC at the 4:00 position which conceals the gun perfectly and is very comfortable, but I own a Subaru Impreza WRX STI and when i'm sitting down it is impossible to draw my weapon, especially with my seat belt on.

For a few weeks i've been trying to find a solution for riding in the car and have looked at every car holster setup imaginable, I ultimately decided on the DeSantis Kingston Car Holster (http://www.desantisholster.com/n92.html).

The DeSantis Kingston Car Holster does not come with a thumb break, and I believe that a thumb break is absolutely essential because if god forbid I were ever involved in a car accident the last thing I want is a gun with a round in the chamber flying about the cabin of the car and have the trigger snag on something. Therefore, I ordered the optional thumb break for the Kingston Car Holster here: http://www.desantisholster.com/n99.html

I placed my order and received it within 3 days and immediately put it in my car. Installation was very easy, the holster will work in pretty much any car that has a seat which has a seperate bottom cushion and seatback, allowing you to wrap the strap around the entire bottom seat cushion. I found that unless you cranked the strap down HARD, the holster would slide and you could not draw or holster your weapon without the holster moving or sliding, so you have to crank it down hard. When I cranked it down hard, the little strap would keep loosening up on it's own which was annoying, so I took some hockey tape (you can use any type of tape, doesn't really matter) and just wrapped it around the strap so it wouldn't come loose, and it held really well.

Once you install the tape so the strap is held down hard, the entire holster system is rock solid and you can draw and reholster without anything moving or slipping.

When I first installed it, I thought the steering wheel would be in the way when drawing, but it wasn't. You'll see what I mean in the pictures below. The Kingston Car Holster also has a magazine pounch on the front of it for a spare magazine, so you can have a lot of firepower strapped to your drivers seat. The holster can also be removed from the main strap and used as a regular IWB holster, however the process of removing the holster and putting it back on the strap is a little bit time consuming, it's not like you can just quickly snap it on and off when you want, it takes a few minutes.

I keep my Sig 229 in the Kingston Car Seat holster and then before getting out of the car I simply lean forward and put my 229 into my Comp-Tac CTAC before exiting the vehicle, it works really well. If I have to go somewhere like my recruiters officer or somewhere else where firearms are prohibited, I just take the gun from the Kingston Car Holster and lock it in my glovebox.

From the pictures, you'll see the buckle is exposed right on top of the seat where you sit and you think it may look uncomfortable, but when you sit down you don't even notice that it's there. My car is manual transmission so I am constantly operating the clutch pedal and my feet are always in constant motion, and I find that the holster and gun doesn't get in the way of my legs at all, and if it's not an issue in a sports car like the STI where you're low down and legs hug the seat, then it should work perfectly in all vehicles.

In conclusion, I believe the Kingston Car Holster is the best system for carrying a firearm in a car, overall I give it a 8.5 out of 10. The only thing I would like to see improved is the strap having velcro to "lock it" down in place so it doesn't come loose, but this is easily fixed with some good quality tape, so it's not a big issue.

Feel free to comment!

Here are the pictures of it installed in my car:

Thanks for reading, and I hope you enjoyed my review of the DeSantis Kingston Car Holster.

pics dont work

Do your legs hit it at all while driving?

If you cut and paste the pic addresses and put www. in front of them then you can view them.
    Pax
    Tulsa, OK

to muchwork to view um like that

Administrator
    Only 12 pics are permitted per post - You had 19 - I also fixed your photo links but then had to do a random delete of some on your photos without really seeing which ones were best or not.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Accord - Great review and very nice pics + car. One question for ya'; is there any way that the buckle can be put under the seat - i.e. slide the strap until the buckle is under the seat?

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I've got a DeSantis Kingston Car Seat Holster, too. My setup is different from yours (I've got it slung diagonally, with the pistol on the right corner of the driver's seat, under a seat cover).

But my conclusion is pretty much the same as yours: high, high quality product. I couldn't be happier with mine.

I've got this too. For the price it's great. It definitely is nice on long car rides when IWB or OWB can get uncomfortable.

Accord, you can slide the buckle behind your seat back so that you eliminate the need to sit on it or have it between your legs.

Great report and pix. You mentioned that it comes without a strap yet your pix show a strap, did you install it yourself? Also a point of curiosity. It looks as if the buckle ends up between your thighs which would be unnoticeable. Your one photo shows what appears are 4 pedals, what is the 4th pedal for?
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Nice setup....very secure and convenient. Very nice.

The 4th pedal is an illusion...its just a plate on the floor to keep you foot from wearing through the carpet.

Nice car..........Shoot well and god bless
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

It's called a dead pedal - it's main purpose is to give the driver firm footing in 'spirited' driving. Very handy.
    Check out the Free State Project

How does the economy really work? Mises Institute

Laissez Faire Books offers an extensive collection of books on liberty, free markets, philosophy, economics, politics and history.

Yes the DEAD PEDAL is a great item. I had one in my Triumph Spitfire racecar, and you can really brace yourself good in turns. Mine was just Skateboard tape though, not fancy aluminum plate, ha..
    John
    XD40 Service
    S&W638 Airweight .38

Kahr CW9
    Hi-Point 995 Carbine

Yup, it's a dead pedal.

Thanks for posting those pics. I've been wanting to see better pics than the ones Desantis has. Nicely done. Good review too.

Sounds intersting ive been thinking on one to slide on the right side beside console on my suv had to draw forme no matter one as the left elbow is close to door when im seated so i need something different

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links