Ankle holster comfort?

This is a discussion on Ankle holster comfort? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have carried a j-frame in a Galco ankle glove for well over 20 years whether primary or back up. for me the trick was ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Ankle holster comfort?

I have carried a j-frame in a Galco ankle glove for well over 20 years whether primary or back up. for me the trick was to find the right adjustment for all day comfort. once I found that I put a snap in for repeatability so it goes on the same every time. it took a lot of carry to find that adjustment. I now often carry a G27 in a Galco ankle glove also but the j-frame rides the best.

2. Remove Ads

Its all about holster design. I wear a DeSantis Apache Ankle Rig. It has a big area on the inside of the leg that is made of soft sheepskin. I have carried anything from a Glock 27 down to a Diamondback DB380. Super comfortable. I recommend getting the Calf support strap too. It doesn't come with one. You need to order it separate.

VIP Member
    I have used an Uncle Mike's on occasion. A large piece of moleskin on the side of the holster against my leg provides some measure of comfort. I just got a Galco and am still trying it out.

I have great luck with this one. I've had it forever, but I think its a Gould Goodrich. I've tried a few, but can only find comfort and security in this type. It goes over the boot, and the laces run through it. It also velcro's around the boot. It's rock solid. It doesnt move at all when I run. I've had it on the boot for a couple years and have never had an issue with it.

I use a couple of wrist sweatbands and put them on before the ankle holster. Works well here in SW FLorida.

This thread is cracking me up! If you get a good ankle holster, that fits the weapon right, you wouldn't have to add anything to it, to wear it all day long, without any discomfort.

There is a company in Arizona, Phoenix I think, that makes the best (IMHO) ankle holster on the market. Name is Renegade Holster Company. I've tried/bought them all, from Bianchi to Safariland, and the Renegade is a hands-down better system. No extra straps or padding. Sheepskin backing, and stretchy neoprene allows you to cinch her down tight enough to cut off your circulation. Won't wobble or rub your leg, and is secure even when running. In fact, I stopped carrying a 5 shot Chief Special on my ankle when I realized I could carry a S&W 6906 in it's place, in the Renegade. Carries the medium and small GLOCK like a pro as well.

A caution regarding ankle carry might be appropriate though. Many years ago we had an alarm at our off site (U/C business), and one of my buddies went to investigate. He was robbed at gunpoint, and wished like hell that his pistol wasn't snuggled up to his ankle at that particular moment in time. My friend NEVER wore an ankle holster again after that experience. Ankle holsters have their place in my opinion, for a second gun, but if you have any inkling that it's going to be needed, you're best off to get it unholstered, and tucked in your waistband or a pocket that you can reach easily. There's also the danger of unintentionally revealing the holster/weapon if you sit down, and your trousers naturally pull up away from your ankle. If you know you're going to be standing all the time, it's cool.

I know this wasn't the purpose of the thread, but couldn't resist. :) Ya'll be safe.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

I got an Uncle Mikes Law Enforcement Ankle Holster a week or so ago. I just carry my little Walther P22 in it and I can't stand the retention strap (corner pokes me) but it is so comfortable I about forget I have it. I just wish ankle holsters were a little more accessible because for me the 1.5 second thing ain't gonna happen with it. I'd rather be underarmed than unarmed though.

Goose
    "These days I go down to Wal-Mart and they sell 'em in the back.
    Some people wanna take 'em away, why don't you go bust them boys that's sellin' crack.
    Guns, whether Remingtons 'er Glocks.
    Come on man it ain't like I'm a slingin' 'em on the block." - Justin Moore

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links