Holster for NOT carrying one in the chamber

This is a discussion on Holster for NOT carrying one in the chamber within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was thinking about this while at work today, and the biggest place I see for a problem is "If" a round was already chambered ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Holster for NOT carrying one in the chamber

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    I was thinking about this while at work today, and the biggest place I see for a problem is "If" a round was already chambered it would bind up the gun because there's no place for the ejected round to go! DR

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    The drive by motorcycle shootings were a nice touch. I would lump this into the "solution in search of a problem" category.

Austin
    I thought the same thing. The classic "answer without a question."

The holster looks a bit "gimmicky" but the umm, body armor, is impressive...

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Self-loading holster for Makarov - YouTube

I believe the Russians had this some time ago. This is just one video,there are many older clips from the Soviet Union .I think it is a great idea.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Quote Originally Posted by dben002 View Post
    I really need to see inside this holster. According to the verbage it has a "cocking member" to rack the slide. Really would like to see what is really happening inside that holster.
    That just cracked me up!!

Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    I was thinking about this while at work today, and the biggest place I see for a problem is "If" a round was already chambered it would bind up the gun because there's no place for the ejected round to go! DR
    Nope, look again, there is a hole where the extraction area is, I could not see why it was there until you just said this. Now it makes sense.

I don't see what the big deal about it being bad is.

It's clearly designed for people carrying handguns unchambered. If you carry loaded, then obviously it's not for you. People who don't carry a round chambered regularly are just as cognizant of that fact as people who do regularly carry chambered are. It's pretty unlikely someone turning to this holster as a solution would make that mistake.

Beyond that, like anything, practice and drill will quickly familiarize yourself with the holster. I just don't see how it's an ND waiting to happen, any responsible owner investing in the holster would ensure they are familiar with it.

Edit> Looking at it again (and the lady) RockinRiley is right, there is an ejection port, and it matches perfectly to the port on the USP when it is pushed down. So even if there was a round chambered, it would simply extract normally.
    Last edited by AK_Brian; November 27th, 2012 at 01:33 AM.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    What holster? All I saw was the rack......

I was thinking the same thing as dangerranger. After you draw it, what happens after you reholster? Do you have to go through the hassle of emptying the chamber? If you don't empty it and then draw it again you must lose a round and if so wear/how does it eject inside of there? Perhaps the top strap can be activated a second way in order to account for this. Like a safariland style thumb release. Oh, and good god she would be soooooooo much fun ummmmm off duty!!!

VIP Member
    I really like the fact in the first video with the holster from the back as you push down the barrel now instead of pointing relatively straight down now points into your outer thigh. Serpa holsters were/are banned from many training classes and departments, I personally do not have an issue with them, due to ND's that occurred when after pushing the button on the outside the shooters trigger finger continued on to contact the trigger causing the weapon to fire.

This holster although performs a different action I think would speed up that process, however it would be a training issue. Whomever gets one first let me know.

Edit: It looks like at 1:05 in the video she demonstrates how it works as a conventional holster without racking the slide. At 1:35 it shows her HK in the holster with the hammer back ready to rock. Not sure what version HK it is but not real bright on their part.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Senior Moderator
    A "solution" for a problem that doesn't exist.
    tacman605 likes this.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Seems just about as useless to me as carrying without a round in the chamber is.
    tacman605 likes this.
    Living a life free from fear, means being able to protect it at all times.
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
    NRA

GH
    I was waiting for the gun to discharge right into her leg when she was sitting on her bike.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

VIP Member
    Interesting video, and cute policewoman, but it all pretty much ends there for me. Too much "sugar for a dime" right there, and as Rooster Cogburn said in True Grit 2, "If it ain't loaded it don't shoot". I would hate to be issued that rig and required to use it on duty.

Years ago, I had some sort of gun book and it had an article in it about a Army sgt, I think it was army, that had "perfected" a draw from a standard military holster, it began with an empty chambered 1911 and ended with it ready to fire. IIRC he'd pause in his draw, push the slide into the leather of the holster, and manipulated a one-handed rack. I wish I still had that book, but it burned in my fire.

Maybe it was the same book, or another one, but someone had made a device either as a prototype or they were for sale? IIRC it was an add-on for a 1911, when you squeezed the grip it would cock the 1911 for you. It may have been called the "Ace cocker" or something like that. I believe H&K has a model pistol that does the same thing?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

That is a crazy idea.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links