I Found a Holster at Walmart? LMAO

This is a discussion on I Found a Holster at Walmart? LMAO within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I've been looking for a retention holster for the winter season here in Indiana. OWB for comfort. I spend 32 bucks on a ITAC ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By QKShooter
  • 3 Post By dukalmighty
  • 1 Post By ErnieNWillis
  • 1 Post By MrBuckwheat
  • 1 Post By WHEC724

Thread: I Found a Holster at Walmart? LMAO

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar

So I've been looking for a retention holster for the winter season here in Indiana. OWB for comfort.
    I spend 32 bucks on a ITAC Roto-Holster. Works great but still prints a little due to design.

Tonight I'm in Wally World and see this cheap ($12) nylon holster with a basic strap/snap break.
    Comfy in the car...Very low print..Love it!

Works great for my Glock-27. Sometimes simpler is better I suppose. Yeesh!
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Administrator
    It's an insidious plot by the ChiComms to get unsuspecting Americans to carry in cheap holsters.
    Brad426 and raytracer like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm not a big fan of one size fits most nylon holsters,I would bet money that most of the guns falling on the floors in public places are being carried in cheap holsters that if the thumbsnap is inadvertently unsnapped and you bend over deposits your gun in plain view
    msgt/ret, WHEC724 and Doodle like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I'm not a big fan of one size fits most nylon holsters,I would bet money that most of the guns falling on the floors in public places are being carried in cheap holsters that if the thumbsnap is inadvertently unsnapped and you bend over deposits your gun in plain view
    You may be right; we'll see. For now, it solves a problem..cheaply.

As far as the ChiComs..Ya, I know. I was in Wally World. I beg your forgiveness.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Was it in the airsoft section?
    rigel42 likes this.

VIP Member
    Was it date night with the wife?
    sioux565 likes this.

Some pocket holsters are basically a cloth or nylon pouch, and I sure wouldn't spend more than $12 on one. Gun show last weekend had boxes full of them for $10. I passed because I don't carry a pea-shooter.

There are uses for each. I use a nylon holster, made for my SW442 when I IWB carry with gym shorts. The shorts and undergarments hold the gun tight and it is flexible enough to not print.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    ^ This. Everyone thinks that their cheap/soft holster is a great solution until something catastrophic happens.
    Doodle likes this.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    I'll start this response by admitting I have a couple of these holsters myself, so this is more of a 'lessons learned' reply.

Will it work? Probably.
    Is it a good long term solution? I don't think so.

Cheap and "something that can put a large hole in a person" don't go well together in my opinion.

A little spare tire can get your car moving too, doesn't mean it's a good practice in your daily routine, think of it more as a means to an end and get a quality holster if you're going to carry. There are lots of great options out there that won't break the bank, and quite honestly - only rich people can afford cheap holsters, because you'll buy 10 of them before buying one good one.

Friends don't let friends carry in walmart holsters

Quote Originally Posted by dbglock View Post
    Some pocket holsters are basically a cloth or nylon pouch, and I sure wouldn't spend more than $12 on one. Gun show last weekend had boxes full of them for $10. I passed because I don't carry a pea-shooter.
    Big gun syndrome I see?

And people, there is a difference between "cheap" and "low-cost". The best holster for someone does not have to cost $100. The best holster for me was the Remora which cost $30. Low cost, but not cheap. Unfortunately, some folks think that you have to break the bank to have the "best" holster.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Yep, that's why I made my point using the word 'good' and not 'expensive':
    There are lots of great options out there that won't break the bank, and quite honestly - only rich people can afford cheap holsters, because you'll buy 10 of them before buying one good one.
    I would also argue the merit of carrying with a holster that does not physically attach, at least outside the home. To me there's no reason for it, there are lots of good alternatives for the same or slightly more money.

And yes, I have had a Remora and currently have a Sticky holster.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    ^ This. Everyone thinks that their cheap/soft holster is a great solution until something catastrophic happens.
    Everyone thinks that their expensive/leather holster is a great solution until something catastrophic happens.

I can take my home made leather OWB holster that is wet formed to my Colt 1911 CC turn it upside down and gently shake it and my gun won't fall out,try that with your gun in the holster with the thumb break unsnapped,thumb breaks do get unsnapped inadvertently.I'm not saying inexpensive holsters don't work,I'm saying most of the uncle mike type Nylon Holsters do not have good retention and with the weight of a gun in them can cause problems.I realize that the Nylon IWB holsters offer more retention due to the pressure,but there are Individuals that without thinking in the restroom will unfasten their belt/pants before removing the gun and the holster/gun flips upside down with the gun now on the floor,Sometimes resulting in an AD/ND by either the gun discharging upon hitting the floor,or an attempt to grab the falling gun resulting in the trigger getting pulled.
    We have enough problems with Anti's and I feel that guns dropping on the floor in public places ,sometimes discharging groups us all in the category of "Those guys aren't very safe"
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Sponsored Links