IWB Holster--Kydex above or below the belt?

This is a discussion on IWB Holster--Kydex above or below the belt? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I received a SHTF holster for my Runger SR9 last Monday and am having a hard time adjusting it. I like the low ride of ...

Thread: IWB Holster--Kydex above or below the belt?

IWB Holster--Kydex above or below the belt?

I received a SHTF holster for my Runger SR9 last Monday and am having a hard time adjusting it.

I like the low ride of the gun with the clips in the bottom holes; however, I can't get a firm grip on the gun and it's impossible to re-holster the gun due to my waist band being over the kydex.

I know it needs to be concealed. Since I'm new to CCW, I think comfort will come with time. I like the 3 to 4 o'clock position so far but can't seem to get the holster adjusted to conceal it. Is this something I should keep playing with? Is re-holstering my weapon something I need to take into consideration when finding that sweet spot?

Any and all advice and help is VERY appreciated!!

2. Remove Ads

just keep playing with the adjustments, its not as important to re holster quickly as it is to draw the weapon, but I would adjust it so you can get a good grip on the gun ,
    A friend will help you move. A real friend will help move the bodies.

Personally I hate kydex holsters, get me a nice leather inside waistband holsters with a little extra leather lip to keep the gun from digging into my waist.

Don't worry about re-holstering the gun, I have never had a iwb holster that i was able to re-holster without having to remove the holster.

Quote Originally Posted by Jgriner View Post
    Personally I hate kydex holsters, get me a nice leather inside waistband holsters with a little extra leather lip to keep the gun from digging into my waist.

Don't worry about re-holstering the gun, I have never had a iwb holster that i was able to re-holster without having to remove the holster.
    Not all Leather IWB holsters are made the same,there are some that not only retain their shape when worn,but allow for drawing and reholstering.I'm not a big fan of IWB Kydex only,the only one I bought for a 1911 early in my carry career I ended up gluing sheepskin too so it had some cushion against my skin.
    I would raise it up to where the kydex is right at the waist line with a 15 to 20 degree forward cant,it will help hide the grip and you can draw and holster without too much trouble
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Unless I must have deep concealment, my first priority is to get a full firing grip on the gun. To accomplish this, all of my IWB are adjusted to ride with the lip of the holster just at or above the belt line. If positioned properly, this conceals just as well as a lower ride.

I do not like holsters that do not allow for one handed re-holstering. The exception being the deep concealment types, but I rarely use them. If the gun is ever deployed it is likely that it will eventually need to be put back. I don't want to be fumbling around with the holster at a time like that. The other consideration would be those times you must disarm to go into a no-carry zone. This make the process MUCH easier.

Keep working on the adjustments. You will soon find what works for you.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Just be patient my friend..

Links