Which Holster would be best for me?

This is a discussion on Which Holster would be best for me? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Probably getting my CC permit this next week, and picking up my gun soon after. I have decided on a S&W SD40. Wondering what holster ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By ccw9mm
  • 1 Post By dben002
  • 1 Post By rp23g7
  • 1 Post By 1MoreGoodGuy

Thread: Which Holster would be best for me?

Probably getting my CC permit this next week, and picking up my gun soon after. I have decided on a S&W SD40. Wondering what holster and carry option would be best for me in everyones opinion.

I work at Boeing, so no carrying at work.

I am a pretty athletic guy, been working out 27 yrs, medium build, usually wear t shirts tucked in, with jeans. Winter time usually wear a coat outside till april or so. Any opinions?

we will work on the wifes carry options later.

Do yourself a favor, set aside $300 mentally for holsters... cuz you'll need it as you try different ones. ;-)

Now, asking a group of strangers what type of holster to get is like going into a restaurant and asking everyone dining what you should order for dinner... You'll get 40 different answers and they'll simply be telling you what they like.

I will say that since you prefer to tuck your shirt, you're looking at IWB of course and there are many choices.

This video shows several of them so you get an idea of what's out there and some of the differences. He doesn't go into great detail about each one, but he does tell you who's out there so you can pull up their websites and do some research.

Good luck!

Hybrid IWB Holsters - YouTube
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

Some questions:

1. Do you have a preference for the mode of carry? (IWB, OWB, shoulder, ankle, pocket ... though some options won't be practical for a larger weapon.)
    2. Are you absolutely required to conceal at all times, or do you care about absolute concealment?
    3. Is comfort level your top requirement, or are you willing to allow less comfort to get other features?
    4. Leather, Kydex, hybrid, other?
    5. With your clothing, are you going to be wearing a covering garment at all times, or will it vary?
    6. Any other requirements of a holster, for you?

In my case, I've typically carried a puny gun in the pocket, or a mid- to full-sized gun on the hip either via IWB or OWB in a decent leather holster. I like the pancake style, but I also appreciate some of the holsters that emulate the Milt Sparks VM-II type format, with a wider, load-spreading design and two solid attachment points for the belt. My preference is for the durability and value that Fist Holsters offers, but there are several decent makers out there. Paired with a decent quality, thick leather belt of at least 1.5" width, a good OWB pancake holster ought to serve you well. If beyond that you require deeper concealment, then any of the wider, load-spreading IWB options would be a good place to start looking.

Ditto on the $300-ish level. Assume you'll not find your perfect holster until you've tried a few. Unless you find a few shops that'll allow you to try before you buy, it's likely then that you'll have to acquire at least a couple before you start realizing what's not quite for you.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

That's a hard one to help with. I think you have to buy a box full of ones that don't work, before you find one that you think does work, but you'll still be shopping for the perfect one. A lot of us have "a box".
    Never challenge an old man, because if you lose, you’ve lost to an old man, and if you win, so what?

Quote Originally Posted by Luckey1115 View Post
    That's a hard one to help with. I think you have to buy a box full of ones that don't work, before you find one that you think does work, but you'll still be shopping for the perfect one. A lot of us have "a box".

Speaking of which... ummmm, if you're going to be carrying a Glock27 I have some I can sell you at a discount.

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Quote Originally Posted by Luckey1115 View Post
    I think you have to buy a box full of ones that don't work, before you find one that you think does work, but you'll still be shopping for the perfect one. A lot of us have "a box".
    Hey, that's a good idea: if you've got a popular gun, then "shouting out" to those who have a decent holster in "the box" that they wouldn't mind selling that would fit that gun. Avoid the build/wait, unburden someone's "box" of a superfluous holster, and get something at a discount that might or might not be "the one," instead of paying full price for something that might or might not be "the one." Hm. Box swapping. What a concept.
    Luckey1115 and Marley like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Gonna need more than 1.....not seen any holster yet that covers all carry situations...OWB (in winter maybe) IWB (in summer maybe) pocket carry (anytime maybe)..Leather, pouch type, Kydex, etc...etc...etc.....just count on more holster's than socks so clear out a drawer cause your gonna fill it up.......
    ccw9mm likes this.
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Hey, that's a good idea: if you've got a popular gun, then "shouting out" to those who have a decent holster in "the box" that they wouldn't mind selling that would fit that gun. Avoid the build/wait, unburden someone's "box" of a superfluous holster, and get something at a discount that might or might not be "the one," instead of paying full price for something that might or might not be "the one." Hm. Box swapping. What a concept.
    You're on to something ccw9mm... Instead of CraigsList, let's start a site... HolsterList... Folks list what they have in their box with full description and pictures... Those shopping can easily find all sorts of options.

Take a look at the FusionPac from Tactipac, I have been wearing mine for a little over a week now and it truly I the most comfortable holster I have worn so far. It is truly the most tuckable holster made since it attaches to your body and not your belt. It took about 2 months to get mine but it was worth the wait!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."--Ronald Reagan

See with "a box", you can assemble with altered parts and a hunk of leather, a holster that will get by until that perfect one from "JM Custom Kydex" gets here. And notice my "box" is full of Left Handed Holsters.
    holster.jpg
    Never challenge an old man, because if you lose, you’ve lost to an old man, and if you win, so what?

Quote Originally Posted by longhornfan6 View Post
    Take a look at the FusionPac from Tactipac, I have been wearing mine for a little over a week now and it truly I the most comfortable holster I have worn so far. It is truly the most tuckable holster made since it attaches to your body and not your belt. It took about 2 months to get mine but it was worth the wait!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks everyone, good info, i like that Fusionpac holster
    longhornfan6 likes this.

VIP Member
    Get yourself a quality holster from the start that can easily be customized to just about any gun as your collection grows and changes over the years. Get a MaxTuck from White Hat Holsters Concealed Handgun Holsters and Holster Parts & Accessories - White Hat

MaxTuck Black Cowhide-172.jpg
    longhornfan6 likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Sponsor
    Take a look at SHTF Gear LLC. Here's a pic that explains the best features feature-small.jpg

Thanks!
    Clay

Links