First IWB Holster - crossdraw or strong side carry question

First IWB Holster - crossdraw or strong side carry question

This is a discussion on First IWB Holster - crossdraw or strong side carry question within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, everyone. I am relatively new to concealed carry, and choose between my Glock 19 and a Walther PPK/S for EDC. I just purchased a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: First IWB Holster - crossdraw or strong side carry question

  1. #1
    Member Array Jackster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Southern Ohio
    Posts
    140

    First IWB Holster - crossdraw or strong side carry question

    Hello, everyone. I am relatively new to concealed carry, and choose between my Glock 19 and a Walther PPK/S for EDC. I just purchased a Desantis Tuk, and have tried IWB. Until now, I always carried my Glock in a Serpa on my strong side at 4 o'clock. Does the IWB holster go to the same location, or crossdraw? Neither seems very comfortable to me, and the G19 fits best in cargo pants pockets, which I unfortunately rarely wear , so IWB seems the most viable option unless I want to go back to OWB.

    Would anyone have some helpful hints for a newbie? Thank you all for any advice.
    Be safe. Cheers!


  2. #2
    VIP Member
    Array ANGLICO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    Posts
    3,589
    I mutch rather prefer the IWB on the Strong Side. It is just more natural to turn and protect that side. You can play with the position from 4 to 5 PM to find your comfort area.
    Socialism Kills! Time proven, with a very large body count! We are a Constitutional Republic....... not a Democracy, get it correct!

    Don't be mistaken for a Gecko45: http://lonelymachines.org/mall-ninjas/

    Watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14qTdp-Dd30

    ANGLICO Images

  3. #3
    Senior Member Array rednichols's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    595
    There are strong arguments for wearing either side; but the strongest argument is to pick one and don't swap from side to side.

    Spending a lot of time driving in left-hand drive countries like USA is one of the strong arguments for crossdraw (seatbelts, passengers, opponents at the door, etc.). Here in Oz, a rhd country like Japan and Britain, it would be quite the opposite (if we could carry, which we can't).
    Red (Richard) Nichols

  4. #4
    Senior Member Array foxytwo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    511
    I think the strong side carry is the best choice.

  5. #5
    VIP Member Array ghost tracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Ky Backwoods
    Posts
    4,861
    Beware of the draw (pardon the pun) of crossdraw holsters. Decades ago, I thought they were cool & bought a couple. I have a friend who's a U.S. Marshal and he spotted a S&W 66 snubbie in a Bianchi Cyclone crossdraw under my sports coat. He stepped in close to face me & bumped the back of his left hand against my chest. When he stepped back, HE HAD MY MODEL 66 IN HIS RIGHT HAND! The left hand bump was his distraction & my "cool holster" put my revolver in the PERFECT position & orientation for him to TAKE IT AWAY without me even realizing it! I haven't carried concealed with a crossdraw holster since that day.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

  6. #6
    Member Array Drgnfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    444
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Beware of the draw (pardon the pun) of crossdraw holsters. Decades ago, I thought they were cool & bought a couple. I have a friend who's a U.S. Marshal and he spotted a S&W 66 snubbie in a Bianchi Cyclone crossdraw under my sports coat. He stepped in close to face me & bumped the back of his left hand against my chest. When he stepped back, HE HAD MY MODEL 66 IN HIS RIGHT HAND! The left hand bump was his distraction & my "cool holster" put my revolver in the PERFECT position & orientation for him to TAKE IT AWAY without me even realizing it! I haven't carried concealed with a crossdraw holster since that day.
    Interesting read.

  7. #7
    Member Array Jackster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Southern Ohio
    Posts
    140
    WOW! That would scare the ca-ca out of me. Did your jaw drop to the floor in surprise? That is the best argument I have heard, but I would think a knowledgeable and experienced individual in an industry that handles weapons regularly could do that to multiple styles of holster, especially when matched against a person far less experienced (no offense). But, that would make a big impression on me and is still a great argument. Especially to me, as I was previously concerned that would happen if I had the holster behind me right hip, like I wear mt Serpa. The Serpa has that locking device to help prevent a weapons loss, where the IWB does not. Thanks!

  8. #8
    VIP Member
    Array RoadRunner71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    6,385
    I prefer strong side, generally in the same position as OWB.

    Another option is AIWB (appendix in waist band). Some find this to be a perfect carry location.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

  9. #9
    Senior Member Array sioux565's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    698
    Strong side seems to be preferred among many. You are still new, so give it time. At first, it will not be comfortable, but over time you will get used to it.

  10. #10
    VIP Member Array ghost tracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Ky Backwoods
    Posts
    4,861
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
    WOW! That would scare the ca-ca out of me. Did your jaw drop to the floor in surprise? That is the best argument I have heard, but I would think a knowledgeable and experienced individual in an industry that handles weapons regularly could do that to multiple styles of holster, especially when matched against a person far less experienced (no offense). But, that would make a big impression on me and is still a great argument. Especially to me, as I was previously concerned that would happen if I had the holster behind me right hip, like I wear mt Serpa. The Serpa has that locking device to help prevent a weapons loss, where the IWB does not. Thanks!
    Yep, that's why he did it, to scare the crap out of his ol' pal. No offense taken, this gent & I had spent some serious time together in the U.S. State Department (before he joined the Marshals) playing dangerous games in dangerous places. Long story short, a strong side holster allows your strong side elbow to lock down over your handgun in a variety of effective anti-snatch techniques. The crossdraw allows NONE of those techniques to be in play. You'll be wrestling with BOTH hands, your opponent will have a grip on THE GRIP of your pistol & the odds are now in HIS favor. I don't like deadly games where I have given-up ANY advantage! And certainly not an advantage I knew...before hand.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

  11. #11
    Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    1,713
    Assuming that you decide to go with strong side--play with the IWB position until you find a spot that is comfortable for you.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

  12. #12
    VIP Member Array ghost tracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Ky Backwoods
    Posts
    4,861
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    ...play with the IWB position until you find a spot that is comfortable for you.
    With all due respect Chaplain, who would pick...an uncomfortable spot?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

  13. #13
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion County, Ohio
    Posts
    10,817
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    With all due respect Chaplain, who would pick...an uncomfortable spot?
    Because it is supposed to be comforting, not comfortable.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

  14. #14
    VIP Member Array ghost tracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Ky Backwoods
    Posts
    4,861
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Because it is supposed to be comforting, not comfortable.
    Yeah Mike, I've read Clint Smith as well.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

  15. #15
    Member Array Mdauben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    195

    First IWB Holster - crossdraw or strong side carry question

    Quote Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
    Neither seems very comfortable to me, and the G19 fits best in cargo pants pockets, which I unfortunately rarely wear
    One thing to note, many people find it necessary to start wearing pants one size larger when they carry IWB. This can be especially true with a 'chunky' gun such as the G19.

    I don't have this problem but I'm a big guy and I wear relatively 'relaxed' fit pants to begin with. ;)
    Mike

    “Arms in the hands of citizens may be used at individual discretion... in private self-defense.”
    John Adams (Americas 2nd US President)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

conceal carry holster for walther ppks
,
cross draw glock
,

cross draw holster

,
cross draw holsters for glock pistol for left handed
,
crossdraw iwb holster
,

is a draw holster comfortable

,

iwb cross draw

,

iwb cross draw holster

,
iwb holster 4 o'clock
,
walther ppks cross draw holster
,
what is strong side carry
,
what is strong side holster
Click on a term to search for related topics.