Kydex holsters

Kydex holsters

This is a discussion on Kydex holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just started using a kydex iwb holster today. Does kydex cause undue holster wear and is there any certain break in procedure for kydex. Just ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By ghost tracker
  • 1 Post By mdmorgan
  • 2 Post By foxytwo

Thread: Kydex holsters

Kydex holsters

Just started using a kydex iwb holster today. Does kydex cause undue holster wear and is there any certain break in procedure for kydex. Just curious as this is my first experiance with kydex holsters.

Kydex doesn't "break-in", it either fits or it...doesn't. It can have different finish-wear characteristics than leather. But LIKE leather, you'll reduce the wear by keeping any accumulated grit cleaned outta' there. IMHO, it's it's a gorgeous, high-polished, deep-blued heritage handgun, put leather around it. If it's a working fight-gun, Kydex is just fine! What are you carrying?
    sensei2 and TX expat like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Kydex doesn't "break in". Keeping kydex clean makes a big difference in finish wear. What I like to do is wash it well with soapy water, and then after it is dry I like to wipe the inside with a silicone cloth. The worst places for wear will be anywhere a sharp metal edge meets a "catch point" in the kydex. The ejection port in the best example of this. I don't form my holsters into the port in order to avoid this catch point. another place that is common for wear with a kydex holster is any place a control lever or pin is trapped without a clear path out of the holster. These catch points can shave off little shavings of kydex which can speed up wear. If you notice any spots like that you can heat them up and try to remove any catch points.

My pistols are just a tool and wear marks on the finish does not bother me. Any marks on the finish just shows that it is being used and makes my other pistols that are in pristine condition jealous because they are not used as much. To me the wear marks shows charactor.
    lokin4deer and sixgun like this.

Thanks for the tips everyone. Just wanted to know a bit more about this type of holsters. Im carrying my S&W mp9c in a Galco king tuk. So far liking the holster.

Quote Originally Posted by sixgun View Post
    Thanks for the tips everyone. Just wanted to know a bit more about this type of holsters. Im carrying my S&W mp9c in a Galco king tuk. So far liking the holster.
    Do you have an OWB? I'm looking for one now for my MP9c. I have a n82 IWB and its awesome, just figure I should get an OWB now that it's getting cold out and I can wear sweatshirts.

Sponsored Links