Galco Underwraps belly band

This is a discussion on Galco Underwraps belly band within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I moved to a different job site recently. The dress code at the new place is "Business Casual." Shirt tales must be tucked in. My ...

Thread: Galco Underwraps belly band

I moved to a different job site recently. The dress code at the new place is "Business Casual." Shirt tales must be tucked in.

My normal dress is slacks and an untucked camp shirt. I normally carry a Kimber 3" 1911 in a Tucker Gunleather "The Answer" leather/Kydex hybrid IWB at about 3:30.

Initially I tried the "Answer" as a tuckable. I didn't like it. The gun left a weird bulge in my side. It didn't scream "GUN" but it didn't look right, either.

I decided to try a belly band. So I ordered a Galco Underwraps.

The Underwraps is about 4" wide and made of elastic. The elastic band fastens with Velcro. It has two leather holster pouches sewn to the inside.

If you fasten the Velcro at the center of your back, one of the holster pouches is at 4 o'clock and the other at about 9:30. The one at 4 is sewn so that a holstered pistol is oriented butt-forward (sorta FBI cant). The other holster is angled so that in cross-draw, the gun butt is angled towards your centerline for a comfortable draw.

Concealment is good. The Kimber seems to ride well a bit farther back than in the "Answer." The grip is a bit higher, with the trigger guard just above my belt. No noticeable bulges anywhere and my shirt drapes nicely over the gun butt. As you would imagine, draw is slow.

I also tried rotating the band so the "crossdraw" holster is at about 2 o'clock. My S&W 642 rides nicely in Appendix Carry that way. I haven't tried carrying the Kimber and the S&W simultaneously, as doing so strains the waistband of my trousers.

I tried carrying my Colt Mustang Pocketlite in the "crossdraw" holster, but it isn't secure. The leather pouch has too much room to securely retain the gun. I found this out while getting out of my car. The Mustang had shifted around while I was driving. When I stood up from the car, the Mustang flopped out into my tucked-in shirt.

One thing that helps concealability is keeping my trouser belt fairly tight. That keeps the gun tucked against my body. The downside is that the gun presses against you with almost no cushioning. I imagine my right hip will get used to it, but it's not nearly as comfortable as the "Answer." Don't think I'll be able to nap with this one on.

Another plus of the belly band comes in using a public toilet. No need to juggle the gun or hide the holster. Just drop your trousers and go.

I can't speak for other brands, but this Galco product seems to do its job well. At $45 + shipping, it's not too expensive if it doesn't work out. It's not the magic holster, but it might meet your needs.

Bill

Thanks for the tip Bill. I dress in a similar fashion most of the time, and have been looking for carry options for my M&P. It's down to a shoulder holster, belly band, or UCC Comfort Carry. The Galco looks nice. What are your cleaning options (being that it is leather and cloth)?
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

I have that belly bend. It's new, and I have to practice a little more as I accidentally dropped one firearm while practicing and I'd sure hate to do that in the restroom. ;-)

Galco also has a belly band that is 6inches wide if the 4inch one doesn't fit right.

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    What are your cleaning options (being that it is leather and cloth)?
    I wear an undershirt, then the Underwraps, then my outer shirt. I think it will be a while before it needs cleaning.

I'll probably hand-wash the band and dry it with towels. I dunno about the leather. I'll do some thinking and let y'all know.

Bill

Yeah, very important about the cleaning options. I sometimes wonder about those underwear type carriers. It's gotta have a pretty finite life.

I would definately wear outside an undershirt. A though just hit me for between cleanings....Febreeze! It'll help keep you from having a funky holster. That's the biggest turn-off on the UCC Comfort Carry....
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

Sponsored Links