I never thought I'd be an IWB hybrid holster fan, but...

This is a discussion on I never thought I'd be an IWB hybrid holster fan, but... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As many new concealed carriers start out, "how am I going to carry" has been a journey more than just a simple question. Let me ...

Thread: I never thought I'd be an IWB hybrid holster fan, but...

I never thought I'd be an IWB hybrid holster fan, but...

As many new concealed carriers start out, "how am I going to carry" has been a journey more than just a simple question.

Let me preface by saying I went the LCP route in a wallet holster to begin with and love the ease and concealability but decided to bump up to my Glock27.

Here was my path with my G27... sound familiar to others?

1) I work from home, don't really need anything exciting for when I do venture out... a paddle holster should be great (purchase made)
    2) I want something a little more concealable. (ordered a mid-price OWB (FIST #10) with 8 week delivery)
    3) Tired of waiting, want to try OWB (picked up a simple Don Hume OWB at a gun show)
    4) This simple OWB is pretty good... but I wonder what the hype is about the hybrid IWB
    5) Research, research, research
    6) Order IWB hybrid
    7) Received it, slid it on, moved it around, tried different locations, adjusted clips up and down and back again
    8) Wear around the house Day 1, lots of leather creaking as expected
    9) Wear around the house Day 2, less leather creaking, feels more comfortable
    10) Wear around the house Day 3, run a couple of errands, tuck in a shirt, no leather creaking and very comfortable
    11) In the meantime, my FIST OWB showed up on Day 3 and now I'll give it a shot, but it's already relegated to #2 option after the IWB.

I'm sold. Love this thing after only 3 days. My "goldilocks" spot is around 3:30-4:00 location so I can sit comfortably all day while working, and it's pretty comfy in the car. Sure it stabs me now and again but a slight shift of my body or the holster and it's fine. As the leather continues to loosen up I think that'll happen less often.

Personally, I went with Theis due to the thinner horsehide leather that he touts and I'm truly amazed and pleased. I look forward to feeling it in 2 weeks, 2 months and figure I won't even notice I'm wearing it.

I have an Old Faithful kit on the way as well just because I'm curious about the thicker Kydex.

I'll soon have a couple of OWB and a Paddle holster for a G27 up for sale if anyone is interested. Barely used. ;-)

Iggy
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

2. Remove Ads

Welcome to the hybrid IWB club. I use crossbreed my self at 3:30-4:00 as well. Full size pistol. I feel it, but it is comfortable.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

RAL
    Bet you're going to love the Old Faithful. Oh wait . . . I don't gamble. You'll love the Old Faithful!
    I know Whose I am. I know where I'm going. I know the job I'm to do while I'm here. I am an ambassador. This is not my home.

Evil prospers when good people to do nothing. Please don't turn your back. ACT!

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    I love my Old Faithful kit, I think if that doesn't work and isn't comfortable for you, a hybrid IWB isn't for you.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Re: I never thought I'd be an IWB hybrid holster fan, but...

I think actually getting a hybrid might be my next step.

I carry a full sized XD-40 in a MTAC Minotaur. The holster is fantastic.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

I love Old Faithful too. The thing I like about the hybrids is they always keep there shape and they spread the weight evenly.

My Galco King-tuk is comfy now. Cant wait till its good and broke in. Didnt think holsters like this would be comfortable. But I was amazed.

Well iguanadon, you sold me on the hybrids. I tried one out for my Nano based on your experience. I am now a believer. The hybrid holster is the most concealable and comfortable holster I have used. The first day I was not so convinced but from all the reviews I read a break in period is necessary for the hybrids. From day two on, it has been a delight. I do actually forget it's there. Granted, I am carrying a micro 9 but the Nano is one of the heavier ones at over 20 ozs loaded. I purchased a "mini" style from a member on the Carolina Shooters Club forum. Horse hide backing on all his hybrids and a two week money back trial. After a couple days it actually forms to your body. It is more comfortable now to wear it than it is to wear my owb holster. Thanks for the nudge iguanadon. My holster search is officially over.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

“Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny”
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Iggy....I'm gonna need one for my G26..what did you get that you like so much......???????? OH...define hybrid for me as to me a holster by any other name is still a holster....
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

Quote Originally Posted by dben002 View Post
    Iggy....I'm gonna need one for my G26..what did you get that you like so much......???????? OH...define hybrid for me as to me a holster by any other name is still a holster....
    First of all SnoMan97 I'm glad you had a good experience after trying the IWB hybrid route. I'm still very much enjoying mine.

dben002 - "hybrid" refers to a combination of leather and kydex. I looked at them all and chose Theis based on three factors. Horsehide (which is thinner), Price which is great, and Delivery time as I had mine in less than 2 weeks. Theisholsters.com | Products | Custom IWB Holsters

Read his FAQ section and do some searches out here if you'd like any more info or confirmation. By the way, I went with his kydex clips because I didn't want metal ones and the kydex clips hold just fine.

I have an OldFaithful stage 3 kit on the way that should be here Monday. I wanted to give it a try also with the thicker kydex just out of curiosity. https://oldfaithfulholsters.com/shop.../hip-holsters/

Good luck everyone.

Iggy

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

I guess I wish I were skinny like most of you obviously are. My pants are pretty full with just me in them. LOL I'm a big fan of the Desantis Speed scabbard, and have them for all of my larger pistols. My Kimber Solo Carry rides nekid in my pocket, collecting dust bunnies and lint, which saves the laundress of the castle from having to do that chore. :)
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Quote Originally Posted by KBSR View Post
    I guess I wish I were skinny like most of you obviously are. My pants are pretty full with just me in them. LOL I'm a big fan of the Desantis Speed scabbard, and have them for all of my larger pistols. My Kimber Solo Carry rides nekid in my pocket, collecting dust bunnies and lint, which saves the laundress of the castle from having to do that chore. :)
    I am far from skinny. LOL I'm in the process of losing weight and recently went from my fat, fat jeans down into my fat jeans. I was very surprised how little extra room was needed in the waist for the Theis IWB, even after having lost just enough weight to get into these "smaller" sized jeans. One more jeans size to go... (2 inches at a time).

By wearing the holster at the 4:00-4:30 spot, my fat stomach and my fat ass don't get in the way.

Theis Holsters makes an incredible OWB holster as well!

Links