Perry Construction Suspenders - A Range Report (sort of)

This is a discussion on Perry Construction Suspenders - A Range Report (sort of) within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been wearing Perry suspenders for 3-4 years. I have a black pair that I wear a lot and a tan pair that gets ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By ksholder
  • 1 Post By ksholder
  • 1 Post By Paymeister

Thread: Perry Construction Suspenders - A Range Report (sort of)

VIP Member

Perry Construction Suspenders - A Range Report (sort of)

I have been wearing Perry suspenders for 3-4 years. I have a black pair that I wear a lot and a tan pair that gets worn sparingly. I have noticed that the black pair needs to be replaced annually as the elastic gets stretched out. For those who don’t know, the normal Perry suspenders are all stretchy, not just the back strap.

I had been buying my suspenders at Wal-Mart for $9 or so, which is not a burden for a year, but I was tired of having to replace them and put up with less than stellar performance toward the end of the year. So, I went to the Perry Suspenders eStore to see what other styles they have. They have “construction” suspenders that are designed to be worn with tool belts, etc. These have a seat belt-like material on the front and only the back is stretchy. I ordered a pair for $14.

Well, I have received and worn my new suspenders and all I can say is WOW. These simply do not sag at all. Once you get them set where you want them, they stay there and your pants do not move. The adjustment hardware on these suspenders is metal and heavy duty. The belt clips are still plastic/nylon so they won’t tear up your belt.

I must say that I wish I had known about these when I bought my first pair of Perry suspenders. Don’t get me wrong, the normal Perry suspenders are very good, but they wear out and begin to sag. I suspect that the new construction suspenders will be going strong for much more than a year and would not be surprised to see them go 5+ years as the only wear item is the back strap. Time will tell, but I am most impressed with these new suspenders and may even carry my Government model more often as these suspenders will hold the weight without having to strangle my waist with the belt. Just my $0.02, YMMV.
    CaptSmith and wmhawth like this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

2. Remove Ads

I use suspenders, but the "claw" type ones. Do you ever have problems with the Perrys slipping off the belt??

Very interested in these as my extra self seems to work against my belt unless I cut circulation off to my lower half.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Thanks for that link ksholder !!...ordered the leather suspenders...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paullie View Post
    I use suspenders, but the "claw" type ones. Do you ever have problems with the Perrys slipping off the belt??
    I have never had the Perry suspender clips come off the belt.
    redbird likes this.

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

I've worn Perry Suspenders for several years. I started with the regular 1.5" which didn't begin to do the job. Then it was regular 2" which was better but stretched and the adjustment wouldn't stay put (had to safety pin). Then it was the carpenter model that only stretched in the back strap. They were uncomfortable and clips wouldn't stay on (had to heat and bend to fit tighter). Now I have a super strong - twice as thick material - model that is comfortable and the clips only slip off once in a while. None of mine have ever held the adjustment position after a month's wear.

I wear suspenders because my hip structure doesn't stick out like most do and no belt will hold my pants up unless tightened past painful. I had to get them to hold up even my light PM9. I like the belt hooks because that's what holds up my holster and a big plus for using the toilet when carrying concealed with an untucked top shirt.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    I have perry suspenders, the "ruff n tuff" (IIRC) ones, they are heavy duty. They are built well, I just don't wear them much because of wardrobe issues. I'm a FT student, I'm working on "upgrading" my daily wear from a t-shirt+jeans (or shorts,pending weather) to a polo+jeans or polo+khakis{going to be a very long process. I've been losing weight, so why not replace with nicer looking stuff?}. Either way, suspenders don't really work on the OUTSIDE, and I've tried wearing them under a t-shirt over my undershirt ("wifebeater" ribbed tank) and I have weird looking lumps where the adjustment straps are. If I could wear them without looking really goofy I would wear them more often, maybe I'm not doing something right. {While I don't really care much about fashion and current trends, there is certainly a line of "wackiness" I don't care to cross in an effort to stay grey-man. I think older fellows can pull off visible suspenders much easier than a 20 something student.}

If I wear a shirt+tie I do wear them on the outside just fine.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

I have a question,I tried wearing suspenders but found that if you wear them with your shirt tails out to cover your gun,then when You have to sit to do your business then you have to tke your shirt off.If you wear you shirt tails in then your gun is showing.How do you do this?I haven't been able to figure this out so quit wearing them.Thanks.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sjones View Post
    I have a question,I tried wearing suspenders but found that if you wear them with your shirt tails out to cover your gun,then when You have to sit to do your business then you have to tke your shirt off.If you wear you shirt tails in then your gun is showing.How do you do this?I haven't been able to figure this out so quit wearing them.Thanks.
    Piece of cake and the shirt stays on. Take a look at the site I linked above. When you lower your pants, you just take the clips off the belt and leave the suspenders over your shoulders - shirt on. Perry suspenders clip onto your belt kind of like if you bent your fingers and pulled up on your belt. They stay on the belt with a bit of friction, but mostly because your pants are pulling down against the clip that is pulling up.

If you want to tuck in your shirt, you buy a tuckable holster - a good many holster makers make them - and use as directed. You may have belt loops showing or other tell-tale bits, but the gun stays hidden. Some use velcro on the inside of the belt to pretty much hide the belt attachment points.

I personally go with the untucked cover shirt - Hawaiian in the summer, casual button down in the winter.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    ...{While I don't really care much about fashion and current trends, there is certainly a line of "wackiness" I don't care to cross in an effort to stay grey-man. I think older fellows can pull off visible suspenders much easier than a 20 something student.}...
    I find that I draw much more attention to myself if I *DON'T* wear my suspenders...
    Chief1297 likes this.

Never had the Perrys slip off my belt.

I have been wearing the Ruff and Tuff for close to a year, they are the best of the lot for carrying I think they are better than the Construction Suspenders and look much better for everyday wear.

I don't have any personal experience with these, but I have heard and read a lot of good reviews on them.

Suspenders, home of Better S-Penders, American made outdoor gear for Loggers, Fire Fighters Accessories, Long Bar Gear - betterspenders.com

Austin

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    I don't have any personal experience with these, but I have heard and read a lot of good reviews on them.

Suspenders, home of Better S-Penders, American made outdoor gear for Loggers, Fire Fighters Accessories, Long Bar Gear - betterspenders.com

Austin
    Austin - those look like a good option, but they require the use of suspender buttons to attach them to your pants - like dress suspenders. All my suit pants have these buttons, but with them I use dressier suspenders. One of the things I like about Perry Suspenders is they can be used with any pants that can take a belt because they attach to the belt.

The Perry clips do look like a great design. Clips that attach on the pants, or snaps that go on the belt loops are options with the "Better S-Penders". I just thought I'd share the link if you are experiencing the elastic wearing out with the Perry's. I know the "Better S-Penders" have some models that have no elastic at all - and they have a reputation of being long lasting in general even for the elastic models.

Austin

Links