CCC Shaggy Reverse Cant AIWB

This is a discussion on CCC Shaggy Reverse Cant AIWB within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well - I don't have pictures. But that's because I don't have the holster yet. I ordered this on Oct 23rd and it shipped yesterday. ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By BadHabit
  • 1 Post By tmoore912

Thread: CCC Shaggy Reverse Cant AIWB

Well - I don't have pictures. But that's because I don't have the holster yet.

I ordered this on Oct 23rd and it shipped yesterday.

Without it even being here.....I'm already pleased. I know it will be an improvement over my Fricke Archangel - which is a great holster, but doesn't conceal all that well for me. I've modified mine with some electrical tape, the sleeve off an old t-shirt, a piece of cardboard, and the baseplate from a Glock magazine....it conceals better now than it did before. Once my new one from Mr. Schaefer at Custom Carry Concepts arrives I'll post some comparison photos. I also ordered a PIC from Cane and Derby - still haven't heard anything from them. I've sent one email - which was a week or two ago. Haven't tried to call for a while, but that's because it just goes to voicemail, and I'm not big on leaving voicemails.

Anyhow - I placed this order as a "Custom" on the CCC website (Custom Carry Concepts, LLC - Home Page) - and then got a call from Rich a few days later (give or take). I explained to him that while I wanted to carry at 1:00, I have some nerve damage in that area from a hernia repair, so I end up carrying more towards the center. I thought a reverse cant version of his Shaggy holster would help with concealment and positioning at the same time. I said tuckable would be nice - he said it wasn't feasible. I said fine.

Since that conversation, I've gotten a Zack holster and DeSantis Belly Band that I can use if I do end up "needing" to have a shirt tucked in. It hasn't happened yet, but it's nice to have the option.

Hopefully I'll have this soon. I'll try to get some pictures up on Wednesday - appointments/busy schedule before then.

Austin

Ok - clearly I've been taking my time with this.

I am working on an AIWB holster collection. It's coming along nicely.
    So far I have:
    Archangel - carried daily for a few months.
    Shaggy w/ reverse cant - been carrying for <2 weeks
    Vanguard 2 w/ strut thingy - wore with a tucked in shirt at church on Sunday.
    Zacchaeus - wore around the house a couple times to see if it works. Felt like having it in a belly band was necessary.

I got the Shaggy with Reverse Cant in the mail on Monday last week (I think). It took a bit of adjusting and re-threading of my belt to figure out exactly where I was going to wear it. The mag pouch I got with it is a simple horizontal pouch that threads on. It is quite low profile. In the attached picture (which I took with my dumb-phone in the bathroom mirror) you might be able to see what's going on. I really will put up some better pictures....at some point.

The holster is very comfortable. It conceals better than my Archangel. It is probably bulkier than my Archangel, but I have modified mine so make it conceal better, so it's hard to say for sure. It feels like less stuff jammed in my pants though.

I had been carrying a Glock 21 SF with 230 gr +P HSTs in the Archangel. I'd been contemplating switching to my Glock 20 SF with 165 gr Gold Dots from Underwood Ammo - and the Shaggy holster helped me along with that. It is a right handed holster - and my Glock 21 SF has an ambidextrous mag release. If I bend down and the holster flexes, it will eject the magazine because it pushes on the right side magazine release. My Glock 20 SF does not have the ambidextrous style release. So in order to carry with this holster - I'm now carrying my 10mm.

I got the "comfort leather backing" - basically a smooth piece of leather glued to the body side of the kydex holster, to make it more comfortable to wear. It feels great. The Archangel felt like a piece of plastic in my pants, until I taped a cut off t-shirt sleeve to the body side for padding/better concealment.

Anyhow - the way I have things set up is like this: I have a belt with a cobra buckle that I got from Jones Tactical. I thread the magazine pouch on first, then the holster, then i thread the belt through all my loops normally - but the buckle ends up so the far left instead of on my "gig line". I have the buckle as close to my front left belt loop as possible, to allow the mag pouch to be as far left as possible, to allow the holster to be as close to center as possible. Part of my reason for getting the reverse cant on the holster is that I have some nerve damage in my right groin area from a hernia surgery repair/scar tissue/fiasco. So the idea is to get the muzzle away from the right side of my groin as much as possible, while still allowing a full firing grip on the gun.

Downsides - the "positive click" isn't there on holstering - but it is there on drawing. I have the tension pretty darn loose, and it's still a very firm pull to draw. There's no doubt in my mind that the gun isn't going anywhere. But on the Archangel, it "clicks" into place, and you know it. Not the same on this one. I may mess with the tension some more - but it works well as is. Plus the ambi safety thing - that is a simple fix if I wanted to do it. I could trim/heat gun/whatever and fix that problem.

So far so great. This is a big step up from the Archangel for me. It conceals as well as my modified Archangel - which looks like a giant hunk of garbage with what I have taped to it. And it's less bulky.

Austin
    Attached Images

I's difficult for me to see the holster in the picture but does the holster have a FBI cant? I'm looking for a holster with a cant that is the opposite of the FBI cant. In other words the butt of the pistol would be canted 15 degrees backwards rather than forward.

Too concealed ??? Can't make out anything.

J

Black holster with a black gun against a black shirt in poor light. I am sure you like it but we can't really see it.
    aus71383 likes this.
    At one with the gun.

If you click the picture it gets bigger. Then again I know what I'm looking at.

It's a terrible picture. I'm having my first experience with sciatica this past week, so it may be a bit before I get out the good camera and take some better photos.

The cant puts the finger grooves/front strap parallel with my belt - I haven't measured it, but I'd say it's 5-10 degrees.

Austin

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    If you like it better than the Arc. Then I am interested. I carry a G23 in an Archangel daily and modified it with a piece of EOTech knee pad foam doubled over and taped to the bottom rear to act as padding and to push the grip in tight.

Here is the difference in concealability between the Shaggy and the Archangel.

Archangel with G19. See how the end of the grip pokes out?

Shaggy with G19. See how the wedge that is built into the holster makes the grip turn into the body more than the Archangel? It conceals better because of that feature.

The wedge forces the grip into the body to aid in concealment. It is a subtle change, but makes a big difference. Adding a foam wedge at the bottom of the holster(to go against your groin area) can also aid in concealment, by making the back of the slide turn into the body as well.

Archangel vs. Shaggy

aus71383 likes this.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

Re: CCC Shaggy Reverse Cant AIWB

Could this holster work at say 3:00 or is appendix carry only?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I don't think it would be comfortable against the hip/bones/etc - it is not designed to spread the weight/pressure of the gun, since between the hips in front is all soft tissue there are no pressure points to cause pain. Also, I think reverse cant at 3:00 wouldn't work very well to draw from. Other than that - sure, you can position it wherever you want.

Austin

I'v never understood the hype of the Archangel. While Dale is a great guy to deal with, his AA just doesn't conceal for me.The Shaggy however does. Real well. I use my Shaggy everyday while the AA sits in a box.

Well, the biggest advantage about the Archangel was that it only took about a week to get it, instead of a 6 month wait from a different maker. If you are carrying a sub-compact like a G26, then the grip tucking feature isn't that big of a deal. It is a big deal with a duty size weapon though.

My older Archangels are now back-up holsters to my JM Custon Kydex Holsters.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

Links