One in the chamber, again

This is a discussion on One in the chamber, again within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't worry about snagging the trigger on my clothing.. After all, the gun is moving up which would press the trigger forward, not pull ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: One in the chamber, again

I don't worry about snagging the trigger on my clothing.. After all, the gun is moving up which would press the trigger forward, not pull it. My #1 "rule" is to be sure I have a holster that covers the trigger guard -- which also keeps your finger off the trigger as you draw.
    pittypat21 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Well lets put it this way. Besides police, military etc..... How many have had to draw and fire their weapon for defensive reasons where the extra second counted.
    BurgerBoy likes this.

I used to worry about carrying with one in the chamber. For awhile, I didn't, thinking I could rack the slide quickly if I had to. Then I decided it was better to carry chambered but I had some of the same concerns that have been expressed in this thread. Then I started carrying the revolver. All the chambers are loaded all the time and I never give it a second thought. I don't know why that is.
    CharlesMorri likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Under attack seconds count. And when the adrenelin dump is goin on. Everything goes out the window. What happens if you fumble with something not saying you will. But we all know ole Mr. Murphy is gonna show up at the wrong damn time. Ive said it before the bad guys wont wait for you to load. I carry condition (R.t.r) ready to rock.

I'm not a fan of manual safeties at all on a defensive firearm. I've mentioned this in a few threads, but I've missed several shots while duck hunting when I forgot click the safety off. It took me a second or so to realize why the gun didn't fire. That extra second is all it took for the duck to be out of range. Hunting isn't life and death, so missing a shot isn't a big deal.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sixgun View Post
    Under attack seconds count. And when the adrenelin dump is goin on. Everything goes out the window. What happens if you fumble with something not saying you will. But we all know ole Mr. Murphy is gonna show up at the wrong damn time. Ive said it before the bad guys wont wait for you to load. I carry condition (R.t.r) ready to rock.
    Fractions of a second count. Jogging speed of 6 mph (10 minute miles) is 8.8 ft per second. An "explosive" attack from
    10 feet out won't even give you a second to perceive and to react. 1 second spent on racking a slide is all that is needed
    to get plowed down.
    CharlesMorri likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I don't want to try to give anyone advice on this subject. We will all do what we think is best. But here is my two cents:

I think it is pure folly to assume you will have time to do anything extra when attacked. About the most you can hope for is to keep your head well enough to get the gun out, get it on target and fire. Then, if you are still alive and on your feet, move and continue to fire until you no longer have to. I carry a G17 with a round chambered and I am extremely careful when holstering or re-holstering it ( that's when I think an AD is most likely to occur ). Do I think the G17 is safe under all circumstances? Hell NO! Does that make me cautious? You Bet! But I don't want an empty chamber or a manual safety to deal with when the chips are down. Why don't I just use a revolver and avoid all the fuss? Because the G17 is the one I do the best with. Self defense is an inherently unsafe proposition (that's why we go about armed with guns instead of salty language ). Trying to address that by by placing constraints on our weapon of choice or our ability to use it will probably just make it safer for the BG. I train so that I can carry and use my gun effectively without hurting myself or anyone else I don't intend to hurt. If I thought I couldn't make that work, I would choose something other than a gun for SD.

I really don't understand, and I'm not trying to be cynical. I put my "crossbreed" style holsters on with the gun in them. I don't pull my gun out during my usual daily routine, the trigger is never exposed, nothing to worry about.

Yes, in a match wearing a jacket with all kinds of straps hanging off it, I would take extra caution holstering.

But! For those of you arguing that you can rack a slide while raising your pistol, faster than i can pull my G23 and fire, it can't happen. It's an extra step, it takes time.

Now, go to the range and have someone time you while you draw, rack and get one hit on target. Get a time for just drawing and firing as well. Getting a 1911 out, off safety, and two rounds on target while sidestepping takes me 1.5 or so, and I feel slow.

After you get your time figured out, have your buddy or whomever, rush you starting from 21'. Did he beat you? How far out does he have to go for you to win?

Remember, your attacker will most likely be half your age, and possibly under the influence. If nothing else, he has the jump on you, and will already have had a good adrenaline dump into his system just knowing what he's about to do. His buddy might be right behind you. You are reacting, take every advantage you can get.

If your weapon is in a decent holster and you aren't "whipping it out" all the time, carry with one chambered.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackheart6 View Post
    Remember, your attacker will most likely be half your age, and possibly under the influence.
    I'd hope there's not that many 11 and 12 year olds on drugs or alcohol ready to attack me
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by wingit View Post
    I don't think anyone would disagree that training and practice is essential when carrying. I also carry with a bullet in the chamber but to be devils advocate I wish to say this. If your carrying on your hip your gun is always pointing down. You have time from the point of grabbing to pointing in the direction of the perp. To train and practice to pull the gun and rake the slide in the upswing to the perp should be able to be done without losing time.
    You are assuming you have full use of both hands and maintain cognizant reasoning abilities.
    That’s a whole lot of assuming.
    Sorry but my life’s experiences have taught me that no amount of training prepares you for what really happens the way it happens in life.
    Practice often,
    be aware and be a prepared as best you can,
    but know that no matter how you train, how often you train, or situations you train for reality is a swift kick in the explicative.
    Last edited by pfries; December 11th, 2012 at 07:55 AM.
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

VIP Member
    I know I sound like a broken record (the MP3 CD generation may not get that allusion) but on the streets there will
    be only very rare instances in which you will be able to see it coming and lawfully display or use anything
    to defend with besides a block of some sort to get out of the way. BGs are stupid, but they are also smart enough to rely on
    a combination of guile and stealth and to attack in a sneaky fashion.

If you are walking down an a side street and get jumped by someone from a doorway, you won't know what's coming till its there. The typical "panhandler-maybe carjacker-would be robber" won't make
    the malice known until he is upon you, or charging at you full speed. HD is a different situation with a tad more time and far more certainty about what is happening.

I'm no expert on SD, but after reading this board for many years and lots of real life experience, I've slowly come to
    realize that our handguns are very very limited tools. Hate to burst bubbles, but the situations in which you will actually
    need to lawfully fire at someone and also have the opportunity to do so, are few and far between. But, should they present themselves, time will be of the utmost. No time for fiddling with slides, no time for remembering to release a thumb
    safety, and so on.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links