One in the chamber, again

This is a discussion on One in the chamber, again within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; New video camera out today Carrying with an Empty Chamber http://wp.me/p2OTGc-8d George...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: One in the chamber, again

One in the chamber, again

New video camera out today
    Carrying with an Empty Chamber http://wp.me/p2OTGc-8d

George
    darbo likes this.
    Smile. It makes people wonder what you are up to

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    get training! sounds like solid advice again!
    darbo likes this.

That just about says it all doesn't it??
    darbo likes this.

The time issue is one concern but mine was distance......8 feet between me and the BG with no time to rack a slide.....and it happened to me.....up close and personal is no time to realize your gun is empty.....take my word for it.

Re: One in the chamber, again

And if the bg is rushing you, that extra second could be the difference between getting a shot off and him fighting you h2h for the weapon
    Hopyard likes this.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. " - Edmund Burke

To each his / her own but, this is the way I look at it.

I carry my 1911 .45 cocked and locked with no worries at all, except the occasional snag on clothing. I have a Glock 26 I carry on occasion also, as a matter of fact I used it at our monthly IDPA match this last Saturday, you know, the safe action pistol?

Anyway, it was raining last Saturday here and I needed my fancy $100.00 Gortex rain jacket to keep dry and compete. This jacket has the little button(s) for the draw strings and Velcro loops and fasteners up the ying yang that snags on everything. Unless you're very aware and super careful, one of those objects can easily get into the trigger guard while drawing or re holstering carrying OWB at 7-8 o'clock as I do.

Normally I wear something like a long shirt or my concealment vest when CCW or at matches, and that presents minimal problems for a safe action pistol. However, this time of year with wearing coats and winter gear with draw strings, etc., I would keep that in mind.

I won't argue the wisdom of CCW with one in the chamber when it really counts. I will argue one in the chamber on a safe action pistol when wearing clothing that has the potential to tangle with the trigger.

My thinking is (and I could be wrong of course) it only takes me less than one second after I clear leather to rack the slide, and during the whole time I'll be trying to get distance.

Just my nightmare senerio guys?
    BurgerBoy and Hopyard like this.
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis1209 View Post
    I won't argue the wisdom of CCW with one in the chamber when it really counts. I will argue one in the chamber on a safe action pistol when wearing clothing that has the potential to tangle with the trigger.

Just my nightmare senerio guys?
    Mine too, the nightmare scenario part, so I don't have one with that type of mechanism. I do carry with one in the pipe.

YMMV, but that is how I see it.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I still won't carry with one in the chamber for one reason. My Taurus and my S&W have no safety. They are pull and shoot. If I had a gun with a safety i probably would carry one in the chamber but for now its a no. If i see a situation where there may be a problem I rack the slide and put it back in my pocket. Afterwards I take the round back out. I am just not that paranoid that I need to walk around ready to shoot someone within a second.
    BurgerBoy likes this.

When the BG pops up and charges in the same instant from 25' away, a wall behind you, drawing and shooting only, you're almost making contact with each other as you pull the trigger.
    There is no time to rack a slide when it happens that way. I speak from experience. Even being aware of what's around you isn't always enough.
    CharlesMorri likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan6406 View Post
    I still won't carry with one in the chamber for one reason. My Taurus and my S&W have no safety. They are pull and shoot. If I had a gun with a safety i probably would carry one in the chamber but for now its a no. If i see a situation where there may be a problem I rack the slide and put it back in my pocket. Afterwards I take the round back out. I am just not that paranoid that I need to walk around ready to shoot someone within a second.
    Sounds like you need a couple of different guns; ones with safety mechanisms that make you feel comfortable even while
    you carry with one in the pipe. An SAO with a grip safety and thumb safety might do. A DA/SA with some sort of safety.

Get rid of what makes you uncomfortable carrying with one in the pipe and get one that you feel comfortable about.

It sounds as if you really want a 1911 style with a grip safety. You might also like an XD. It is SA but has a grip safety
    and a trigger safety similar to the one on a Glock. Both have to be depressed simultaneously.
    DontTreadOnI likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I don't think anyone would disagree that training and practice is essential when carrying. I also carry with a bullet in the chamber but to be devils advocate I wish to say this. If your carrying on your hip your gun is always pointing down. You have time from the point of grabbing to pointing in the direction of the perp. To train and practice to pull the gun and rake the slide in the upswing to the perp should be able to be done without losing time.

To each his own... My thinking is if you have to rack the slide and have a failure of ANY kind while doing so, you are dead. Wet hand, failure to rack slide completely, bullet nose dives in magazine. Just not chances I am willing to take. If I have to draw, I want to be able to shoot immediately, without fumbling with the weapon.

I carry a sr9c at this time. I carry one in the pipe and do not have my safety on. I am prepared because I think I might have seconds to defend my life and I don't want to waste those precious seconds on racking or taking a safety off. You can call it paranoid if you like I call it prepared. I don't think many understand how fast a person can be on you. I know I didn't understand this until we took a stop watch and had my son run at me from 30 feet. Wow, he was right on me in seconds.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    All of my semi autos are double action with trigger pull weights that will pretty much prevent an accidental discharge of the weapon under
    most circumstances I find myself in. Once fired they become single action with a much lighter trigger pull.

So I keep one in the pipe and ready to go.

My suggestion is to have one specific carry gun that you know how to operate expertly or if you have several weapons that you carry
    (together or seperately) they all need to operate under the same concept (double action, single action or double action only). If you start mixing and matching it could spell trouble in a stress filled situation.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Re: One in the chamber, again

I don't want to have to depend on having two hands free to get my pistol ready to fight. "Mr bad guy, please let go of my off hand so I can draw my pistol and rack the slide"... I just don't see many bad guys honoring that request.

Adding in extra administrative handling under stress is much more likely in my opinion to create a negligent discharge than having one in the tube... Even with a pistol that doesn't "have a safety".

Just my opinion.

sent via iCarry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links